1st Try at Bending Daz's 12mm Chrome Tubing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Try at Bending Daz's 12mm Chrome Tubing

Hey guys, Daz sent me a few pieces of that nice 12mm chrome tubing to play with. I only have the 1/2 inch and 3/8 tubing benders at the moment, but thought I would go ahead and try with the 1/2 inch (12.7mm ) bender for the time being. Simple 90 degree bend with the bender locked in a small vise.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0086.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	79715
    As you can see the tubing has flattened out a small amount, but it is the fault of the width of my bender. Tubing is nice and thick and the nickel plating is excellent as none of flaked off and only showed very small amount of cracking. I expected more so there must be a few layers on it.

Name:	DSC_0087.jpg
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	79716
    Slightly flattened, but I'm sure it will provide great results when I get the proper one next week. Tubing is thick and strong so a good bender is a must here. You will notice a lot of tiny stress cracks but are hardly noticeable from any distance. Used a macro lens for these shots to show everything.

Name:	DSC_0090.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	79717
    What it looks like in the real world. Will post a few more shots next weekend with bends using a proper bender ! Cheers guys
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Nice bit if info there gdesmo, thanks
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

interesting

was expecting there to be more cracking and flaking

Comment

good job Sir. is the minor scratch due to the tool? can you buff it out?
        HAF932 Mods
        C70 Mods

Comment

No FF, the plating is excellent. Note: you must have a decent bender for this as the tubing is really strong.
          3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

I bought a few pieces of this stuff to play with too. I don't even have a bender. DOH! Shoulda thought that one through instead of impulse buying while inebriated!

Comment

Can still use it with fittings, they're good looking as well.

Comment

How much does a good bender cost?

Comment

100 + A bit on the expensive side. Not too many choices, but will look at the "Ridgid" Model 612M for myself. Crazy price of around 225, but need a good one as my piping will be gold-plated and want as few imperfections as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                    good job Sir. is the minor scratch due to the tool? can you buff it out?
                    The fine scratches is the chrome actually separating, expected it but thought it would be worse. Could most likely put some chrome polish on it and buff some of it out or a fine polishing compound.

Comment

This is the tubing in it's straight form, if you look closely you may make out fine lines on it.

Name:	DSC_0095.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	76912
                      After a quick polish it looks not too bad at all, I am quite happy with it and am sure it will not be noticeable unless you really look closely at it

Name:	DSC_0094.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	76913
                      Sorry about the lint on there

Comment

Wow, that looks damn near unnoticeable! If you notice it, just drink more. Stop drinking when you can't notice it anymore.

Comment

Well done, which pipe bender did you use for 12mm? Did you use a metric one or an imperial one?
                          Orange Horizon (Parvum Systems S2, i5-4690K, GTX 780TI, 16GB CL9, 500GB, Custom Loop)

Comment

Ha ha ! Did you not read any of it ? Used a 1/2 inch one with the 12mm, a little too wide but knew it ahead of time.

Comment

OHHH I like it , more close to a build with copper tubing

Comment

Working...
                              X