Coolants Usage Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolants Usage Discussion

Sometimes, I laugh at the naivety of the "watercooling" and "pc modding" communities. For example, charging $20 a litre for "Ultra Pure" water, like it gets any more pure than a $2 bottle of Aquafina, or a $3 jug of Life brand distilled from shoppers drug mart, is robbery.

Coolant manufacturers like to hide the truth behind a veil of bullshit so they can make money off your paranoia i.e "IS MY EXPENSIVE COMPUTER GOING TO RUST? EXPLODE? GUNK??? AHH!"

Basically there is two kinds of coolant on the market, EG, ethylene or propylene glycol based, and OAT ("green" vegetable coolant, like Mayhems,they call it water based.) And you CANNOT MIX THE TWO KINDS!

Do you own a car? Have you ever refilled the antifreeze? On your refill cap/jug it says "DO NOT MIX WITH XXXX COOLANT. ONLY USE XXXXX BRAND COOLANT" This is because of the incompatibility of EG, PG, and OAT coolants. EG (like dazmode protector) is very good for its anti-corrosive properties, it helps greatly with mixed metals, and sub zero temperatures It has been used in automobile engines since 1926 I believe. It replaced the methanol coolants that preceded it. However, EG coolants are HIGHLY TOXIC! and VERY BAD for the environment. It has a bad reputation of killing pets, as it has a sweet taste to it, yet it is straight poison. This is why they have been adding bitterants to antifreeze for quite some time now. To deter kids/pets from sipping it off the garage floor.

Proplyene Glycol is EG's younger, somewhat cooler brother. Same family, just less toxic, in so many words. Both of these chemicals are part of solutions that have other chemicals to maintain ph balance, reduce corrosion, and promote stability of the liquid. This liquid is dyed, then packaged as 'XXX coolant for XXX car manufacturer' Different types for different cars, and this brings me to the final major type of coolant;

OAT coolant (being Mayhems 'water based' veggie mystery) is currently the type of coolant used in Toyota and Honda automobiles. It is non-toxic, and very safe for the environment. It is 'all natural' (apparently). They DO NOT MIX with glycol based coolants (bad things can happen and do happen). The japanese manufacturers claim they have better performance, last longer, etc. Generally, automobile coolant lasts up to THREE YEARS! They have harsher operating environments, and sit out in hot/cold all day all night outside.

Here is the point, CAR / COMPUTER COOLANT = ONE AND THE SAME! SUUUUPRIIIIIISE!

It's time to get smart, and use only one type of coolant throughout the period of use of the watercooling loop (be that glycol based or OAT). Only top up with that kind of coolant, and use quality plasticizer-free hoses. The only known types in "waterfooling" world is Primochill Advanced LRT, there are obviously others but most tygon, masterkleer, and the home depot brand are bad news.

I for one, am using automobile coolant in my loop, its cheap, guaranteed, tested way more extensively than anything I can mix myself with ordered product. Also, it comes in various different colors for different brands/manufacturers. Some types might smell a bit, but my loop is sealed, so why would I worry about it, all coolants are chemical baths no matter what way you put it, so what if some of them happen to stink, they just forgot to put the anti-stink chemical in it. Automobiles suffer from the same plasticizer/corrosion issues we do, as they are exactly the same technology. General Motors and their coolant Dex-Cool was sued for plasticizer issues (later being found out that dex-cool an EG based coolant, was not at fault, read second link) A watercooling rad/motorcycle rad has VERY LITTLE differences, and anything for the automotive industry has to be good for our ultra low pressure, ultra low heat cooling loops. (hint, someone should try this)

The only simpler solution other than automobile antifreeze/coolant is distilled water and PT nuke/biocide. However this must be the first type of coolant used in the loop, and the only type of coolant used in the loop.

Use your head, be a smart consumer;

References/further reading

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif...ocs/GMdocs.php
    Last edited by DazMode; 09-18-2014, 02:09 PM.

Originally posted by ch0c View Post
    Basically there is two kinds of coolant on the market, EG, ethylene or propylene glycol based, and OAT ("green" vegetable coolant, like Mayhems,they call it water based.)
    In fact there are 3 kinds. Back in 2012 IceDragon guys introduced their Zinc Oxide based liquid. It also used in Mayhems Pastel and possibly new EK liquid (although i can not say for sure).

Ice Dragon is also used in cars, specifically it was adopted for Humvees by US Army.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
      In fact there are 3 kinds. Back in 2012 IceDragon guys introduced their Zinc Oxide based liquid. It also used in Mayhems Pastel and possibly new EK liquid (although i can not say for sure).

Ice Dragon is also used in cars, specifically it was adopted for Humvees by US Army.
      Ah, this is a special type of coolant not widely used. Before EG based coolants was also methanol, and probably several other types of coolants. What needs to stop in the industry is this whole 'proprietary' formula garbage and lies. It confuses the customers and causes the average person to run the risk of damaging their equipment.

A new, very serious rule of thumb should be observed, it is one taken from the automotive industry where we have been running multi-metal pressurized liquid cooled loops for close to a century;

PICK A COOLANT BRAND, AND STICK WITH IT FOR THE ENTIRE LIFE OF THAT LOOP.

The reason why Mayhem's coolants say "Flush out all prior chemicals, flush loop, etc" is because you are making a HUGE change in coolant chemical type. Its like going from apples to oranges, white to black, angels and demons, etc. Drastic differences, drastic change. You are going from what was most likely an EG or Propylene Glycol based coolant, to an OAT non-toxic coolant. You CANNOT mix the two. It's like putting Dex-cool GM coolant into a Toyota that takes their own OAT type coolant. Even with a major coolant flush, there could be major complications. Why risk it? There's nothing wrong with EG at all other than the fact its toxic, which is good for loops. If it can kill humans, algae don't stand a chance. This is why EG-based coolants have been the standard for the last 90 years.

There may be one issue with glycol based coolants. They may melt or cause problems with acrylic tubing. Generally EG coolants have some alcohol in them, and alcohol makes acrylics soft and melt. Although I have not verified this, I am almost certain it is true. My Primochill Wetbench (extruded acrylic peice of crap... more on that later) got some glycol based coolant on it, and after wiping it off, the spots where it landed have swirls in them and look melted to a degree. Primochill (and all other acrylic tube manufacturers for that matter) all use extruded acrylic to make their tubing so I would heed their warning to not use glycol based coolants with their hard tube products.

Extruded Acrylic is completely brittle, and anyone using acrylic tubing in their loop is running a major risk, don't even think about transporting that rig anywhere. With the trend getting popular, watch for the cracked/shattered acrylic tube horror stories to become commonplace. PETG tubing is much more suited to bending and shaping as it is much more malleable. These are the only industrial plastics that comes in hollow hard tubing. Oops,almost forgot about polycarbonate or lexan which is the most expensive out of the three and apparently the best quality. However this is a discussion for another thread....

Wrapping up, remember these two things!

1) Pick a coolant and stick with it, dont flush your system to 'try' another brand of coolant, it's an accident waiting to happen. Dead spots in rads, reservoirs, and coolant residue in tubing can all have adverse reactions with a different coolant type

2) Don't use EG coolants with any acrylics! Use OAT non-toxic coolants or distilled water and a non-glycol additive (like pt nuke or mayhems biocide)

The two commandments of coolants! If you use your head, you will only ever need to flush your system once every three years (the recommended interval for a flush in an automobile)
      Last edited by ch0c; 09-19-2014, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Well this is all really good info.
        I've had Ice Dragon running for nearly two years now in Blue Dragon rig and it has had No issues at all.
        I'm just going to stick with distilled and Daz Protect as it has preformed just fine and is cheap.

Would have agree with doing a very thorough flush if changing coolant types.
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Just a point about different hoses that are plasticizer free:

1) EK ZMT EPDM type hoses. Only comes in black and looks like a thicker version of AIO rubber tubing, and is effectively the same. Norprene from Tygon is almost identical but has some different properties, and I've heard a few anecdotes of staining blocks black. Nothing so far on the EPDM version having this issue. Even Norprene does not gunk though, just stains.
          2) Tygon silver. It's not officially plasticizer free, but the inner silver bore is. I've used this for a while and it didn't gunk my loop in my "lil'bit" build with no issues with Dazmode's protector.
          3) Tygon plasticizer free. Only the 3/8 ID 5/8OD is viable, as the 3/8 and 1/2 (ID/OD) version is a kink-fest. This stuff is very rubbery and stretchy, but I haven't had issues with it sitting fine in compression fittings as long as I'm not yanking on it.

Primochill Advanced LRT is fine now but there were some dicey batches in the past.

Obviously acrylic and PETG are plasticizer free, but not recommended if you swap out components often, as you have to replace the associated runs of tubing.

I also think that if someone puts together a loop with only copper blocks, and adds a silver kill coil or "butt" plug they can avoid the corrosion inhibitors, which I think have some reaction with plasticizer tubing. This part is just theory that I've come up with based on my numerous readings.

In terms of propylene glycol, what brands have you used? Prestone or just store brands like those at Canadian Tire?

I also have to agree about the "expensive water phenomenon". I buy the 4 litre jugs from Shoppers of distilled and so far, no issues with the proper cocktail of corrosion inhibitors.

Great info though ch0c!

Thx!
          DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by 10e View Post
            Just a point about different hoses that are plasticizer free:

1) EK ZMT EPDM type hoses. Only comes in black and looks like a thicker version of AIO rubber tubing, and is effectively the same. Norprene from Tygon is almost identical but has some different properties, and I've heard a few anecdotes of staining blocks black. Nothing so far on the EPDM version having this issue. Even Norprene does not gunk though, just stains.
            2) Tygon silver. It's not officially plasticizer free, but the inner silver bore is. I've used this for a while and it didn't gunk my loop in my "lil'bit" build with no issues with Dazmode's protector.
            3) Tygon plasticizer free. Only the 3/8 ID 5/8OD is viable, as the 3/8 and 1/2 (ID/OD) version is a kink-fest. This stuff is very rubbery and stretchy, but I haven't had issues with it sitting fine in compression fittings as long as I'm not yanking on it.

Primochill Advanced LRT is fine now but there were some dicey batches in the past.

Obviously acrylic and PETG are plasticizer free, but not recommended if you swap out components often, as you have to replace the associated runs of tubing.

I also think that if someone puts together a loop with only copper blocks, and adds a silver kill coil or "butt" plug they can avoid the corrosion inhibitors, which I think have some reaction with plasticizer tubing. This part is just theory that I've come up with based on my numerous readings.

In terms of propylene glycol, what brands have you used? Prestone or just store brands like those at Canadian Tire?

I also have to agree about the "expensive water phenomenon". I buy the 4 litre jugs from Shoppers of distilled and so far, no issues with the proper cocktail of corrosion inhibitors.

Great info though ch0c!

Thx!
            No, the advanced LRT has not had bad batches, it was the "Pro" or any ones with "Pro" in the label that had nightmarish plasticizer issues.

Dazmode protector is an EG coolant, which works great, only reason to dislike it would be its toxic, which is bad for children/pets but good for loops. I don't want anything living inside my coolant.

This link is the most extensive consumer study done on plasticizer in tubing;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1199158/p...ussion-gallery

It's conclusion in so many words is the advanced LRT is probably one of the few if not the only kind of tubing that doesn't have major issues. Also, some people may have problems with different types of coolants and plasticizer issues with certain brands. Advanced LRT seems to be the only brand without a single problem with any coolant. (again, not the "pro" lrt, the old stuff, and no I don't like primochill or support their products, not after my wetbench debacle.)

Also, the 4L jugs from shoppers distilled is good, also, AQUAFINA. Yup, good ol' aquafina, look at their 7-stage deionization process

http://www.aquafina.com

It's the only water I've ever seen with EXACT molecular scientific testing done on it and its results published for all to see on their website.

http://www.aquafina.com/downloads/bo...rmation_en.pdf

Now, if that ain't the most stringent quality control and open manufacturing process I don't know what is. You DONT know how the life brand water is made, but Aquafina sure as hell shows you EXACTLY how their water is made, they even have a video. Good stuff Aquafina/Pepsi, I am using it in my loop right now with an EG coolant and everything is great.

Comment

Oh, and the rubberyness and stretchyness IS plasticizer. The less bendey the tubing is, the less plasticizer is has in it. Sometimes it can be ok and not gunk up, but why take the risk? Also, kill coils are the worst idea you could ever have. They have been reported to actually CAUSE problems instead of fixing them. Introducing another metal with an electrochemical makeup such as silver is very extreme and adds an entire new set of variables and possible problems. DO NOT USE KILL COILS. The research done in the thread posted before will show that it can and will cause problems that can be easily fixed with a glycol based coolant!

Hmmmm... what happened to my other post? Grrrrrr.

Comment

They are all there from what I see.
                Luc

Orchid (Corsair-Crystal-570X)
                Silent Watcher (be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900)
                Eclipse (Parvum L1.0)
                Northern Lights (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe)
                Lady Sif (EK-Vulture)
                Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)

Comment

Originally posted by Akira749 View Post
                  They are all there from what I see.
                  no there not, I made another longer follow up post and it didnt get posted after I clicked reply... wth... oh well...

Click image for larger version

Name:	393bec7f_corrosion1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	76402

This is why you only use Nickel plated copper, and Copper in a build. Never put a silver kill coil in, never use steel, stainless steel, aluminum, or any other metals in your loop if you are concerned with corrosion. There is no point in a kill coil with glycol based coolant, or OAT coolant for that matter. The idea behind a silver kill coil is that it killed microbial particles floating in your loop, however ALL EG coolants are highly toxic to anything living, so it would be pointless. The OAT coolants were designed to mimic the EG coolants without toxicity so they should be more than allright.

Here is one link from a study someone did;
                  http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...m-cloud-tubing

Here are some pictures of how kill coils turn your clear tubes green;
                  http://www.overclock.net/t/1199158/p...#post_19255746

The information is pretty clear to see that kill coils are obviously a silly thing to put in a loop.

This is probably the biggest consumer study done on plasticizer issues in tubing. Basically the results of the study are primochill "advanced" LRT tubing is generally free from issues across the board. Their previous "pro" LRT tubing was from hell, and had severe plasticizer issues. Thicker tubing will always have more possibility of plasicizer issues because it needs more plasticizer in the tubing to make it bendable. Very Flexy tubing must have plenty of plasticizer in it. The tygon tubing has issues, the feser tubing, the masterkleer, and a few others.

Last edited by ch0c; 09-20-2014, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Sorry didn't notice that the post was hung up with moderation requirements.
                    This should no longer be the case, as you have now reached the number of posts for your new posts not to fall into automatic moderation.
                    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

No, the advanced LRT has not had bad batches, it was the "Pro" or any ones with "Pro" in the label that had nightmarish plasticizer issues.

Dazmode protector is an EG coolant, which works great, only reason to dislike it would be its toxic, which is bad for children/pets but good for loops. I don't want anything living inside my coolant.

This link is the most extensive consumer study done on plasticizer in tubing;

It's conclusion in so many words is the advanced LRT is probably one of the few if not the only kind of tubing that doesn't have major issues. Also, some people may have problems with different types of coolants and plasticizer issues with certain brands. Advanced LRT seems to be the only brand without a single problem with any coolant. (again, not the "pro" lrt, the old stuff, and no I don't like primochill or support their products, not after my wetbench debacle.)

Also, the 4L jugs from shoppers distilled is good, also, AQUAFINA. Yup, good ol' aquafina, look at their 7-stage deionization process

http://www.aquafina.com

It's the only water I've ever seen with EXACT molecular scientific testing done on it and its results published for all to see on their website.

http://www.aquafina.com/downloads/bo...rmation_en.pdf

Now, if that ain't the most stringent quality control and open manufacturing process I don't know what is. You DONT know how the life brand water is made, but Aquafina sure as hell shows you EXACTLY how their water is made, they even have a video. Good stuff Aquafina/Pepsi, I am using it in my loop right now with an EG coolant and everything is great.
                      Oh, and the rubberyness and stretchyness IS plasticizer. The less bendey the tubing is, the less plasticizer is has in it. Sometimes it can be ok and not gunk up, but why take the risk? Also, kill coils are the worst idea you could ever have. They have been reported to actually CAUSE problems instead of fixing them. Introducing another metal with an electrochemical makeup such as silver is very extreme and adds an entire new set of variables and possible problems. DO NOT USE KILL COILS. The research done in the thread posted before will show that it can and will cause problems that can be easily fixed with a glycol based coolant!

Interesting about the Aquafina. I won't feel guilty if I take a swig on the last bit when I fill the loop

Yeah I re-read some of those OCN posts. It would be nice if people were occasionally a bit more specific than just "Primochill" or "Tygon" as there are versions/sub-species or product lines that vary a lot and characteristics therein.

So apparently the Tygon E-1000 and Primochill Advanced LRT are Phthalate and DEHP free, so while they have plasticizer, it technically isn't the stuff that leeches into tubing and liquids and bungs up the blocks. Given the choice between the two, I'd take the Primochill because it doesn't have Tygon or Saint Gobain printed everywhere that I have to remove. Also I can buy it in 3/8 and 1/2 and not have to worry about it collapsing.

The only reason I have used acrylic lately is because of said plasticizer issues, but acrylic has specific challenges that make it obtrusive. My latest build is having motherboard problems, and lucky I have another working motherboard that has the socket in the exact same spot or I'd have to re-do half the loop with new acrylic tubing. An environmental and time disaster.
                      DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

This is my first post here and I will be starting my own thread, but I couldn't help but comment here. What about Evans coolant ?
                        I will be using this in my build with copper pipes and water block(s).

http://www.evanscoolants.com/evans_w...ants_faqs.html

The purple stuff maybe for my choice meant for vintage engines, although I don't think it would matter here.

One thing that I don't understand is why water is the number one choice here (so it would seem after reading forums and watching videos for two weeks) ? Water contains oxygen _ things grow in oxygen (not good) and we can get around that, but water also does something very bad, it oxidizes things and there for requires allot maintenance.
                        Oxidization in a system does affect brass and copper creating a coating on it, but how bad is this and how long can this be left alone until it creates problems with this system.

As I see it the only real advantage to water is that it is "wet" and does a great job of heat transfer; where as other products are not as "wet" and require more cooling tubes in the rad, more fins, faster and more efficient fans etc. Still though the advantage in water over a coolants that doesn't contain water is negligible.

That's why I am going with Evans...

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Yes if you are going to use the vintage version for copper compatibility. However if you look at it carefully it says that temps are consistent but a little higher than water. Make sure you are using a good TIM on surfaces to keep temps a bit lower. Also check and see if there are any heat transfer problems at the lower temps that we run at.
                          3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Hello gdesmo, thanks for the answer.

I've used IC Diamond for laptops on the CPU/GPU with good results, so I will start with that. If the Evans stuff doesn't work out I can always use water.
                            At the moment I am still waiting for my 980 card from Amazon _ it's replacing the GTX 760. It was throttling at 81 degrees and with the fans at almost full tilt it was still at 75 and very noisy.
                            I put this on it and it brought the GPU down to 52 degrees, but did nothing to cool the MOSFET's.

http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/ac...id-ii-120.html

They had this cheesy little factory heat sink on them that would get so hot that I think if I held my finger on it I would have burned myself. I ended removing that, cutting the Arctic II heat sink to fit over the transistors and I have a fan blowing directly on the fins.
                            Even with that the GPU is running at over 80% and sometimes approaching 90% _ it's just working too hard.

I'll report back when my card arrives _ maybe I won't have to water cool, but something tells me that it's going to get pretty hot.

Comment

Working...
                            X