starting from scratch build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting from scratch build

Been almost 12 years since i built a computer. Let alone a water-cooled one. My last build was a AMD based rig with danger den components. I loved the hobby. loved tinkering with custom ideas and cool parts. Id really like to build another one over time. BUT my knowledge just like simple high school math and everything else has gone out the door! I am so far removed from whats good and reliable and the hot stuff its not even funny. I am typing this from my iMac sacrilegious i know.

I would like to build a mild water cooled pc tower with some of the newest but maybe not the highest priced items. Id like to go Intel. And id only be using the computer for mild gaming, and internet browsing. and possibly go pro editing.

now where budget and hobbies come into play with me i tend to suffer with researching the hell out of stuff. and picking stuff thats super expensive based on looks and reviews. I've noticed a lot of the motherboards are pretty darn cool looking these days and technology in every custom spectrum has really been pin pointed to the Oclocker and hobbiest. So i guess what i would like just as a kick start is recommendations on the following

brands? asus and EVGA seem to be big
    Good reliable Overclocking friendly Intel based mother board.
    Ram
    video card
    cool case " i was always into the simple black Lian Li towers"
    and water cooling products ( this site seems to have the cleanest and biggest assortment of items)

and i'll go from there.

I from my memory 12 years ago had a danger den radiator with a EHeim pump, and only a CPU block I was thinking CPU/Graphics card and what else is the standard loop for todays setups?

I've always been very intrigued by well machined parts and items that don't look like they were mass produced if that makes sense.

cheers sure wish i could find my old photos of my water-cooled pc they are long lost!

if this is not the place for such broad questions i apologize and this can be deleted just need a bump in the right direction

Welcome 126 ! You are fine where you are, take a look around for a while and don't be afraid to ask questions. They are a very friendly bunch, but watch out for the gdesmo guy. (he can be rather sarcastic and weird) Take your time and compile a list with options and narrow it down from there while staying in your budget. Although we all tend to spend more than expect.
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

thanks! I'm so bummed i can't find any old pictures of my water-cooled pc i built.... lost to burned up hard drives i guess! I even had my Mom "ha ha" haven't lived at home for 14 years married and own a house down in so cal....to rummage through her computer to see if theres any pictures on there! all she found was a pic of my first build before i did the water-cooling.

I also signed up for a Picturetrail 20dollar account cause PCPER.com showed a had a broken link from 2002 from picture trail and all it had was nonsense friend pictures!

oh well heres my first build from when i was 16 ha
      Attached Files

Comment

ok also is it just me or do i not see cdroms in a lot of these computer builds on here? am i that far out of the loop that you don't need a cdrom

Comment

Usb sticks are faster than cdroms and most are boot able.

How ever many still have a cd rom just external for the odd thing like a driver disc.
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

heres another question. I have a Late 2009 iMac 27 display. Ive read some old forums that i can buy a mini display port cable to regular display port cable on mono price or what not. Todays current video cards support this? That would save me some money on a nice display as I've always loved the 27 display

Comment

heres what my ideas are for a build

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4690K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I54690K

EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

though i may go with a 760 for cost

I'm really digging the EK water-cooling products

darkside dual core slim radiator
              koolance 1250 5.25 bay res/pump display combo (any feedback on these seem like a clean all in one setup)
              EK copper i5 block
              ek vga copper block (may have a hard time finding one if i go with a 760 or older model)

plan to take my time and do hard acrylic piping

black LIan LI case or equivalent with orange lighting and liquid

Comment

Careful with the Koolance 1250 cooler, it may have an aluminum rad in it. Double check to make sure, you don't want to mix copper and aluminum in the same loop.
                3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Originally posted by trestles126 View Post
                  heres what my ideas are for a build

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4690K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I54690K

EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

though i may go with a 760 for cost

I'm really digging the EK water-cooling products

darkside dual core slim radiator
                  koolance 1250 5.25 bay res/pump display combo (any feedback on these seem like a clean all in one setup)
                  EK copper i5 block
                  ek vga copper block (may have a hard time finding one if i go with a 760 or older model)

plan to take my time and do hard acrylic piping

black LIan LI case or equivalent with orange lighting and liquid
                  Nice choice of components!

The only thing I would change would be the Koolance 1250...you could go with simple pump + tube reservoir. EK and Bitspower have some very nice solution in either D5 or DDC pump setup.

And also if you decide to go with the 760 instead of the 780 then depending on the 760 model you choose you could go with the EK-Thermosphere (EK-Thermosphere-Nickel) It comes in Plexi-Copper, Acetal-Copper, Plexi-Nickel or Acetal-Nickel.
                  Luc

Orchid (Corsair-Crystal-570X)
                  Silent Watcher (be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900)
                  Eclipse (Parvum L1.0)
                  Northern Lights (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe)
                  Lady Sif (EK-Vulture)
                  Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)

Comment

thanks. ya the 780 is just still very expensive... not trying to build a top of the line....just a fast cool fun project. If i could get one for under 500 i may but they seem to be 600 and up.

thanks for the info on the koolance... why i asked i always remember them being hit or miss back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
                      Careful with the Koolance 1250 cooler, it may have an aluminum rad in it. Double check to make sure, you don't want to mix copper and aluminum in the same loop.
                      I was talking about this resivor pump combo always liked the bay mounted resivors like the old aqua computer ones

Comment

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc..._pump_rp-1250/

Comment

Only thing about the all in one is replacing if something part of it goes south. 1250 is
                          • 3 - 50watt/channel fan controller
                          • 3 - temp senors
                          • Flow meter
                          • Pump - is a DDC but is installed in an upside down position
                          • Reservoir

Here is where Daz keeps all his pump/res combs
                          https://www.dazmode.com/store/catego...mp-assemblies/
                          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Damn, I'm not paying attention. Hooded is right about possible problems down the road.

Comment

Hooded I get you. Makes sense

Comment

Working...
                              X