Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to do my first "hard" tubing project. Need some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to do my first "hard" tubing project. Need some help.

Hello! Hard tubing time. I'm ordering these tonight:

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...ksaw-and-cord/

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...eburring-tool/

I've got a heatgun so I'm good there.

Anything else comes to mind?

I'm not sure about tube sizing. I've always used 3/8 - 5/8 soft tubing. What's more popular in hard tubing world? 12mm or 16mm? 16mm is a lot more expensive it seems.

It seems 16mm is pretty popular, but also hard to do on short runs (ie CPU / RAM). I've seen people use 12mm for that, and the mix works quite well. 12mm is easier to use in tight places, or so I've read (I'm still using 3/8 5/8 soft tube).

Comment

dremel is nice to have and monson mandrel kit you'll also need. Dremel you use for the chamfer and what not. I used 16 mil guess depends on your case size and the look your after. The red in my case silicone tube insert worked the best out of mandrel kit and had the ek kit also. White inserts I didn't like.
      Last edited by nass; 12-01-2014, 09:44 AM.
      Blackout
      Something-New
      Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Thanks for the good info folks.

Comment

I did all my bends by hand, eye.... so no mandrel for me. but I did lay out my square so I could have at least a moderately accurate 90 angle.

go slowly, and on your first ones use a stop watch to catch an idea of how long your heater takes to start a melt.

oh and lots of soap on that rubber insert. even if it dries out while you bend tube, little more water and it slips out easy.
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
            I did all my bends by hand, eye.... so no mandrel for me. but I did lay out my square so I could have at least a moderately accurate 90 angle.

go slowly, and on your first ones use a stop watch to catch an idea of how long your heater takes to start a melt.

oh and lots of soap on that rubber insert. even if it dries out while you bend tube, little more water and it slips out easy.
            I was thinking olive oil but soap can also be of help. Thanks

Comment

this was my first WC build after 13 years and not touching the inside of a computer. decided to go hard tubing. I wasted about 3 feet of 12mm before i got the hang of it. key things i did wrong

didn't buy the right tools. the insert for the tubing is critical make sure u buy the right ID silicone for the tube your using or you'll for sure get kinks.

buy the monsoon reamer as well its cheap and take seconds to ream properly makes the process much quicker

be patient while heating. make sure you heat at least 3-4 inches of the bend if your tube isn't heated all the way you'll kink it

don't heat to much you'll get bubbles. i held mine 3-4 inches away on high and twisted in my fingers till it was flimsy

get them heat gloves....they helped a lot of my bends were by hand and your handling the hot tube closely

i used a monsoon die kit and it helped with all the 90s. i followed their instructions about laying out a piece of art paper and drawing dimensions on it and for the most part it worked.

always leave a lot of left over tube. i made perfect bends a few times and wasted the piece do to it being too short... u can always cut it down

i have a few bends that are 90s one way directly into a 90 the other way as seen in the pics... the mandrels don't work well because the previous bend doesn't fit into the mandrel so you have to wing it and do it by hand.... most of my hand bends came out just about as good as my mandrel bends... .using paper and making out the tube on paper first laying the tube down hot and bending and holding to the drawing on paper

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclops View Post
                I was thinking olive oil but soap can also be of help. Thanks
                Soap is better because it's easier to clean out of the tube than olive oil.
                DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by [URL=http://s12.photobucket.com/user/trestles126/media/Custom%20PC/788EE128-1DB2-4399-8A7A-E2F1261B36C2.jpg.html
                  [/URL]

You can do all the bends in your build with the mandrels.

Example the cpu right side, you do that bend first then just flip the piece straight up and do your next bend, all the bends in your photo's can be done with mandels mounted on a piece of plywood idea to keep things straight.
                  Blackout
                  Something-New
                  Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Originally posted by trestles126 View Post
                    this was my first WC build after 13 years and not touching the inside of a computer. decided to go hard tubing. I wasted about 3 feet of 12mm before i got the hang of it. key things i did wrong

didn't buy the right tools. the insert for the tubing is critical make sure u buy the right ID silicone for the tube your using or you'll for sure get kinks.

buy the monsoon reamer as well its cheap and take seconds to ream properly makes the process much quicker

be patient while heating. make sure you heat at least 3-4 inches of the bend if your tube isn't heated all the way you'll kink it

don't heat to much you'll get bubbles. i held mine 3-4 inches away on high and twisted in my fingers till it was flimsy

get them heat gloves....they helped a lot of my bends were by hand and your handling the hot tube closely

i used a monsoon die kit and it helped with all the 90s. i followed their instructions about laying out a piece of art paper and drawing dimensions on it and for the most part it worked.

always leave a lot of left over tube. i made perfect bends a few times and wasted the piece do to it being too short... u can always cut it down

i have a few bends that are 90s one way directly into a 90 the other way as seen in the pics... the mandrels don't work well because the previous bend doesn't fit into the mandrel so you have to wing it and do it by hand.... most of my hand bends came out just about as good as my mandrel bends... .using paper and making out the tube on paper first laying the tube down hot and bending and holding to the drawing on paper
                    Some good info.

Comment

It's not letting me upload images....

Comment

Try using the Basic editor or turning off the Enhanced Attachment Uploading off
                        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Had to upload it to imgur

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X