No announcement yet.

u2311 eyefinity vs benq 1440P vs Korean IPS 1440p OC 120hz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been gaming on one of the 27" 1440p Koreatrons (an Achieva Shimian) since 2012. I had no issues with buying and it was quick shipping from overseas. The build quality can be suspect though as mine suffers from some pretty bad back light bleed, though I did luck out with no dead pixels and it is still going strong. I managed to oc it to 61 Hz, whoopee - at first the only ones that were able to OC alot were the early Yamasaki Catleaps I believe, but others as we've seen have been successful.

I am upgrading however, and have joined the 4K G Sync camp with the Acer XB280HK. I know there's alot of debate about 1440p @ 144hz vs 4K @ 60hz and frankly I think it's a matter of preference. I'd rather have the resolution. TN panels have gotten way better and I'm not sorry to see my cheap IPS panel go away as the trade off for me anyway is worth it in spades.

For me G Sync was also must have. Your videocard of choice could determine what route you take as AMD Free Sync capable monitors will start to appear soon. The consensus on the net seems to be we won't see any 4K IPS G Sync/Free Sync (aka adaptive refresh rate) panels anytime soon.
    Last edited by vroom; 12-08-2014, 12:29 AM. Reason: 144hz
    Tie Fighter
    Caselabs Mercury S5, EVGA X99 Micro, 5930K, EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI, AX 1200i, 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB

Comment

Correction, it's 1440P at 144 Hz.

Comment

Thanks for that. My bad, I was thinking TV for some reason lol.
        Tie Fighter
        Caselabs Mercury S5, EVGA X99 Micro, 5930K, EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI, AX 1200i, 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB

Comment

i have the best of the 3 world at my disposal and side by side (IPS vs 4k vs high refreshrate). I just bought a Samsung uhd 28" 4k tn panel at black friday. a VG248 144hz 1080p monitor and a pro art PA246q IPS panel.

The pro art is amazing at color accuracy, angles of view and an excellent option for artsy games like most RPG, mobas and very decent at fps mine as a reasonable latency. If going from a cheap monitor you would be amazed at how much great colors reproduction and contrast ips panels can make a difference . i would go as far as saying that in some scenario it's better then buying a new video card, When i got mine (i had a old ACER cheap ass monitor) it felt better money spent then a gpu upgrade (i had a decent setup at the time anyhow).

the VG248 as a max 1080p, it has led bleed on mine that on a 1 color full screen can't be missed by anyone. on games that have a setting that is dark or is at night it can be seen but on most FPS like battle fields i can't be bothered honestly. never used the 3d on it and probably never will so i can't comment on that. the high refresh rate can be a debatable things really but the latency is where these type of monitor shines (helped by high refresh rate yes) and that does make a difference for sure. but most of these monitors out there have the tendency to compromise on other aspect like color reproduction, calibration of monitors, light bleeds etc... and that is definitely something to consider when shopping for one.

as for 4k, it makes one hell of a difference...when you can drive it at that resolution though, and that today seams to be the issues with the tech and price. i am currently playing allot of heroes of the storm alpha's and the difference was very noticeable and clear and it's the type of games that doesn't need monstrous gpus to push. vs 1080p,some part of textures simply are there vs not like the sand/dirt seams to have a grainy texture that otherwise seam almost completely smooth-like. driving these down to 1440p and play shadow of mordor all maxed out with high texture patch look amazing but is far from ideal yes as my gpu just can't drive it at native rez. Vram will kill you if you don't have it (got away with mobas, civ games and older titles at 4k with 2g of vram).unless you have more then 2g of vram or more you will not get away with 4 k resolutions in most titles in the last few years and will severely compromise visual features for the resolution and end up with worst of a visual quality. At this time there is allot to compromises for 4k to list a few: money (in monitor and also in gpu upgrades), bad scaling, no decent IPS panels, frame rate sacrifices little to none video content and more. I am still very happy with my purchase (being ok with the sacrifice) and would not trade it back in though.

if you want the best all around experience at this time though, i would recommend 1440p. no scaling issues vs 4k and price is a major point, not only that you can actual drive a 1440p monitor at max with good gpu/s vs 4k in a reasonable way. as for refresh rate i would only look at it from a competitive standpoint as for me personally the compromises on almost all monitor made out there for the high refresh rate are more of a lost then gain (visual quality vs the edge) and usually are expensive for what they do. Allot of ppl are on IPS monitor to stay with this tech for these exact simple reasons that quality/fidelity of the pixels vs other technology is much more noticeable.

hope that quick insight helps, it's my personal opinion and can be quite subjective but i though i would share.
          Last edited by MRDcanadian; 12-09-2014, 10:12 PM.
          Orange GT Build
          Orange V8 GT Build
          Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

um.. nice review...

could really use some pics
            HAF932 Mods
            C70 Mods

Comment

just for you bungwirez, high refresh monitor not pluged in as i upgrade to gtx980 and i dont have two full sized DP cables.

Orange GT Build
              Orange V8 GT Build
              Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

oh man! I always wanted a McLaren! thanks.

its a nice set of monitors too MRD!
                Merry Christmas
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

Yes, really nice monitors but they don't match. So Bung's and I would be happy to accept them as Xmas presents. Nice desk btw !
                  3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

mclaren are nice indeed specially what they did with the new one in the picture with electric motors. they can be driven as green car (one down for the Prius lol).

gdesmo: actually i am debating selling the vg248.
                    Orange GT Build
                    Orange V8 GT Build
                    Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Working...
                    X