Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to WC i5-3570K and GTX 760 using a single rad ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to WC i5-3570K and GTX 760 using a single rad ?

Hi everyone,

This is my first project. I currently have a Hackintosh that is cooled using a Corsair H60. My problem is that the computer is still too noisy at idle.. I want it to be near near silent at idle but the graphics card fan on the GTX 760 prevents that.

So I am thinking of water cooling the whole thing. My case is very small (Silverstone FT-03) so i am wondering if it would be possible to watercool both the GPU & CPU using a single rad to keep case mod to a minimum ? I know the rule of thumb is 1 120 rad per heat source ... but does that hold true with thick rads ? ie .. if I double the thickness do I get 2x the cooling power at same fan rpm ?

All advices welcomed

Thanks

Specs of my current build below :

Mobo: Z77MX-QUO-AOS BIOS : H3C.1479 CPU: Core i5 3570K GPU: MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC Case: Silverstone FT03
    Storage: Samsumg Pro 256GB SSD, 2 x Seagate Barracuda STD2000DM001 2TB Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance WiFi+Bluetooth : Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD in PCI-Express Adapter
    Keyboard : Apple Wireless Mouse : Apple Magic Mouse Keypad : Razer Nostromo
    Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 OS: OSX 10.9.5 Audio In: Focusrite iTrack Solo Video In: Apple's iSight (Firewire) Cooling: Corsair H60/Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    Retired Gear : WiFI : TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Bluetooth: IOGear GBU521 Keyboard and Mouse : Dell

Rock the Kazbah!! lol

welcome aboard.

I've worked with the Silverstone FT-03. its not really that much fun to watercool out of the box, and certainly not that quiet either.

It can be done, I've seen a few... here's one of the best in the world from our buddy MetallicAcid.

http://pccasemodz.com/index.php?thre...acids-ft03.66/

to me, this was a massive undertaking.
    and you can see the rad Justin chose to cool his SLI and CPU combo is huffing massive...
    the Phobya Xtreme 400x200x85mm ... its nearly half the size of the FT-03 itself.

but hey... don't let me scare you away from attempting such a project!
    just that if it were me (and I'm said to be pretty lazy)
    your situation would have made me think of just buying a bigger more silent chassis to begin with.
    like the most recent entry from Fractal Design - the Define R5...
    Last edited by bungwirez; 01-09-2015, 04:53 PM.
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

Comment

AFAIK, you *could* do both on a single 120mm rad, but with the amount of heat you need to dissipate, the fans on that rad couldn't be run quietly under load. So all you'd be doing is changing the source of the noise from the GPU fan to the rad fans. At idle, you'd be quieter for sure, depending on the rad fans you use and how you configure them. You'd also have zero headroom for overclocking.

As for thick rad versus thin, it doesn't provide double the performance. In fact, it may make the noise worse if you have a thick rad with high fin density, since you'd need good high static pressure fans to push air through it, and those generally aren't quiet unless you dial them down. In this case, slowing the fans down would be a bad idea.

Just my $0.02, I'd be looking for a case upgrade (if possible) to a case that supports at least a single 240 rad.

Comment

*IF* you can fit a 120mm slim radiator on that angled fan above the power supply, as well as a decent sized 120mm radiator on the top 120mm fan mount, that would be a preferable approach.

I'm currently using a single XSPC RX120 V3 radiator (medium FPI 55mm thick 120mm radiator) to cool both a 4770K and GTX 970 in my updated Lil' bit build, and while the cooling is sufficient for both, and a 4770K uses more power and creates more heat than a 3570K, I'm also using a less power hungry GTX 970 that creates less heat than your GTX 760. From my experiences, 90% of the time unless you are overclocking the dickens out of your CPU, a GPU will generate more heat and use more power, affecting water temperature more.

I'm also using a Gentle Typhoon AP-45 that goes up to 2150 RPM, but it rarely rises above 1900 RPM mostly depending on ambient temperatures. I've tried other fans and the only one that was comparable in cooling versus noise was a Gentle Typhoon AP-29. I tried one of those EK Vardar fans, and while pretty good, not as capable.

But I wouldn't consider it a silent build. It's not loud by any stretch of the imagination, and likely quieter than your GTX 760's fans at load, but not silent.

I'd probably agree with Bartacus that a case with a 240mm radiator mount would work better. There are many inexpensive Micro ATX cases that fit the bill if that's what you are mostly interested in.

Something like a Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, or Core 1300 or 1500 fits 2x240mm slim or medium radiators, even a Corsair Carbide Air 240 can house a single 30-45mm 240mm radiator in the front with a Micro ATX board, and the Silverstone TJ08-E/EW can fit a 45mm thick 200mm radiator in front if you remove the bottom disk cage, as well as a 120mm in the back.

If you want super-mega silent the Fractal Design Node 804 can house two 240mm radiators of nearly unlimited thickness, or even a 280mm Monsta radiator in the PSU compartment up top. You could put a Swiftech H220x in the front and extend/expand that with another radiator in the PSU side. The Swiftech has a much better pump than any other AIO that I've seen and can easily handle a second radiator with a CPU and GPU block. I tested on briefly in a Prodigy with a GTX 780ti and a Magicool 180mm front mounted radiator with a 4790K and had a great experience, both silent and cool.

Basically you'd want to add radiator space to be able to run your fans super-slow and keep things quiet.

Out of these all, I'd go with the Node 804, or if you want to keep things relatively inexpensive, the Core 1300. The Node 804 is generally under $100.00 and the Core 1300/1500 are in the $50.00 range at NCIX. In your case, based on the number of hard drives you have, a Node 804 should work out perfectly, and a nod, though with less enthusiasm to a Carbide Air 240.

The FT03 is a great case, but without mods, not so much for water cooling. I'd also agree with Bartacus in terms of radiator thickness. The thickness adds some fin space to increase cooling, but once you go past 45mm thick you either need push-pull or high static pressure fans. Even then in realistic terms you would be lucky to see 15% improvement over a 30mm rad.
        DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

If 'single' rad meaning a 120 or 140, I wouldnt even consider it. A single triple 120 rad will handle the two no problem even at moderate overclocks.

Comment

Good video here talks what can be done with a FT-03 Has a nice pic of possible rad mounting positions.

to the community Kazbah
            Last edited by Hooded; 01-09-2015, 10:47 PM.
            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

good one Hoody. I forgot about that.

some really good input here guys.
              hope to see pics from Kazbah maybe??
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

Working...
              X