Fix GPU Waterblock Threading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix GPU Waterblock Threading

Hey, around this time last year I had purchased a EK-FC R9-290X Rev1 Acetal+Nickel, but then in September when I was putting the system together I found that one of the bolts holding the terminal onto the waterblock was loose. Upon further inspection I found the threading looks warn out, or non-existent, there is no cracking or any signs of over stress. The bolt is the one of the middle of the terminal block, so there are two other bolts and the gasket which are working fine to keep the loop liquid tight; since the loop has been put together there have been no issues with water loss or evaporation.

Even though it's not causing an issue now, I would like to fix it if possible. I'm putting together a project to upgrade the loop, changing the individual terminal blocks out for a larger terminal block with support for a third R9-290X (in case I feel like I have too much money), and add liquid cooling to the memory, and would like to fix the threading issue at the same time since everything will be disabled.

Is it possible to fix the threading inside the waterblock with maybe some glue and/or epoxy, where I will be able to unscrew it in the future, or is this a lost cause and I should just replace the waterblock?

Thanks in advance!

Possible repair.
    Use some J.B. Weld on a screw and run it into the hole to the bottom. Run it in and out a couple times. The process should build up most of the missing thread. You may need a bottom tap to tap hole after the J.B. Weld hardiness. This would require a very small amount of J.B. Weld. Just a little drop on end of screw.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

I'd say you can fix thta, but you also can contact EK and ask for spare top.
      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
      Venom Build: Build Log,
      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
      Orange Build: Final Video
      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Daz & Hooded.

I've reached out to EKWB to see about getting a replacement top for the waterblock as I could not see one listed in their shop under spare parts.

If I can't, then I'll look at fixing it, then again it's not really affecting the waterblock either so I'm hoping when I get a multi card terminal block it may not need to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by LiQuiD DiGitZ View Post
          Thanks for the suggestions Daz & Hooded.

I've reached out to EKWB to see about getting a replacement top for the waterblock as I could not see one listed in their shop under spare parts.

If I can't, then I'll look at fixing it, then again it's not really affecting the waterblock either so I'm hoping when I get a multi card terminal block it may not need to be fixed.
          Yeah, for the replacement tops, you usually need to open a ticket and they will arrange it with you.
          Luc

Orchid (Corsair-Crystal-570X)
          Silent Watcher (be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900)
          Eclipse (Parvum L1.0)
          Northern Lights (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe)
          Lady Sif (EK-Vulture)
          Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)

Comment

Working...
          X