Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to use lubricant on a barb + tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to use lubricant on a barb + tube?

Building my first loop spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ has got me thinking about the next loop I do which will probably be a good says off int he future.

I Got some primoflex 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tube to play around with, and wow I really like it. I wish I had spent more time considering which tubing to use beforehand. I'll never do 1/2 ID knowing what I know now.

But anyways, back to barbs. I payed a lot of attention to the fittings video from dazmode and what really sold me on compression fittings was that barbs were really hard to take off, and that is super-true. I have two 1/2 ID barbs one by bitspower the other by XSPC, and thats when I realize that not all barbs are created equally.

Bitspower barbs are INSANELY overkill. There is no way to take tubing off of those without either cutting them or unscrewing the barb from the component, which is super-counter-intuitive.

The XSPC barb is much easier to remove, but still not all that easy to remove. Especially if you put some effort into working in the ends of the tube like you would a baseball glove, it makes a big difference.

So I got 2 cheap XSPC 3/8 ID barbs and some 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tube and some silicone lubricant. Silicone lubricant is extremely slippery, works well on plastics and metals alike, and is water based so doesn't get greasy. Coatings are very very thin, its almost like nano lube, a dab will do ya.

So anyways heres some results in a video I made to ask and show what I had in mind. Don't need to watch the whole thing, just me rambling for the most part, but you can see how big of a difference some lube and working ope the ends of the tubes can make.

(video is unlisted and meant as a question you guys only)

I've got quick releases and several d-plugs for use as inter-component disconnects, and they are pretty heavy, expensive, take up more room than I would like, and are actually quite a bit harder to remove than a lubed barb.

When working out the logistics of filling and overall general maintenance of the loops, inter-component disconnects was one of the areas that I found the most conflicting. Ultimately I went with d-plugs for inter-component connections, and quick releases for fill and drain ports.

Anyways I've rambled long enough, what do you guys think about lube?

I would say it's probably safe to use. Shouldn't be a problem with heat in a loop. If you reached the boiling point of water it would stop to work.
    Not sure if it would cause your water to cloud though.
    This will be a learn by trying as I've not seen any info about this anywhere.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

ya, I would say no to anything on my barbs.
      if you want to take the tubes off the barbs for cleaning or what not,
      you can just put them into some hot water pot and they loosen up nicely.
      HAF932 Mods
      C70 Mods

Comment

Hell, no.
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

I would never put something like that in my loops. As bung said hot water does wonders it softens the tubing a bit where it is warm making is very easy to slide on and off if it is giving you difficulties. Microwave a mug of water till it is warm soak the end of the tube and shove it on.
          Corsair 800D
          2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
          Software Developer

Comment

I belive he's putting it only on the out side of barb. So nothing actually gets in the loop.
            Try putting that barb in hot water attached to a block while still on a PCB.

You guys all sound overly paranoid. The silicon is a water based lube. It won't harm your pumps or components.

Comment

probably right Hooded. maybe no damage at all.

but to me, the whole point of barbs is to be super tight anyway.
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

The point of barbs is not to be super tight but to be a less expensive option than compression or hard tube fittings.

Comment

Ah, I must haven't made it clear. The lube would only go on the outside of the barb itself, not mixed in with the coolant. It goes on in incredibly thin layers and isn't goopy or greasy. So only trace amounts would get into the coolant.

And I meant for assistance in removing the hose while its still attached to the components. With the warm water trick, I assume you have to remove the barb from the component, which would involve removing the component from the loop, or cutting the hose, wouldn't it?
                  The idea would be to not disassemble everything, thats what I meant to say.

Comment

Why is it you want to use barbs Hoki? Compression is the way to go if your not hard tubing it. Am a little confused. What are we talking $30-40 bucks difference. Plus the look you get compared to hose clamps or squeeze clamps.
                    Last edited by nass; 02-24-2015, 10:44 PM.
                    Blackout
                    Something-New
                    Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                      probably right Hooded. maybe no damage at all.

but to me, the whole point of barbs is to be super tight anyway.
                      OMG... I can't think after night shift... and use bad grammar....

I think what I'm getting at is if you are using barbs, then you'll want them to be stuck on there tight,
                      so as Hoki has found that to be the case, I would say congrats: It works perfect.

@Hoki.. that said, why don't you experiment for us and give it a go with this Silicone thing. I'm really curious now.
                      HAF932 Mods
                      C70 Mods

Comment

Working...
                      X