SSD almost full help starting over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD almost full help starting over

So shortly after the completion of my luxe build I had a crash due to a spyware software deleting valuable files for windows. I managed save a few game files and was able to recover windows from a usb drive. When I did this I believe the I installed windows again and took up double the space. As I started fresh but noticed my SSd was near full at 110gb with only a few games downloaded.

I have a few games darksoulsII Diablo3 COD and some other important but basic info such as drivers n so forth...

I would like to start fresh and completely clean my ssd and reload windows. What's the best step computers running tits is there a way to delete the old corrupt files or see if that's even the problem?

Should I just delete and reinstall all my steam files to my HD and only use the ssd for my OP system?

Imo if it were me just do a fresh install, but then again I don't have alot on here and I keep my important stuff on my HDD.

Comment

Which Cod? Advanced Warfare installation is almost 50GB in size.

You can free up space by doing a couple of things.

1. Turn off hibernation by going to command prompt and typing "powercfg -h off".
      2. Turn the system restore functionality off. To turn system restore off, right click on my computer -> properties -> advanced system settings -> system protection -> configure -> turn off system protection.
      3. Turn off virtual memory. If you've got 8 gigs of ram or more, you typically won't need virtual memory. Leave it on if you're running virtual machines. To turn virtual memory off, right click on my computer -> properties -> advanced system settings -> advanced -> performance settings -> advanced -> change -> click no paging file, then click set and then OK.
      4. Use CCleaner to get rid of temporary and left over installation files as well as other garbage.

Comment

I will try these things Ya its the advanced warfare if I un install that is there a saved game file for it or does steam automatically save ur info online like Diablo 3 on battle net ? Just don't wanna loose my multiplayer levels n what not....

Comment

Also I've heard both but is it completely fine to have all ur games on ur Hd and not the SSD for load times and What not? Obviously ssd's are a lot more expensive to get a similar size. What do most of you guys do Operatong system on sdd n games and files on the SDd

Comment

I have 2 SSD drives, one for OS (120GB) and one for a select couple games (also 120GB) all other games and software are on standard drives. Even now I'm removing a lot of the data on my machine and moving it to a raid backup device with 2 disk fail overs.
            Corsair 800D
            2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
            Software Developer

Comment

so IDK about Diablo, but with BF4 and BC2 I've uninstalled and reinstalled without losing all player data.

also, I run my games off my SSD, but I've only got 2 or 3 games installed at one time.
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

I won't say how many SSD's I have in each just always have a nice fast 120 min for OS and Apps. And one or two more for games. HDD's are for movie storage and backups
                Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

My SSD is for my OS and a select few programs and my HDD is for Steam, Origin, pics, movies, And other files.

Comment

I have everything on SSDs (OS + games), except movies / music / TV show storage. I'd love to have a system with no mechanical HDDs, but the $/GB ratio isn't there yet.

Comment

I got it time to pony up and by a 250ssd for my steam game library I have my iMac 27 that I use for pictures. I'll use my HD for go pro videos..

My only concern is when I had the issues with the system crash that I may have uploaded the OS again or there was a bad fragment that wasn't cleaned out before the reinstall I have about the same amount of items on the ssd and seems more full

Comment

OS and every day applications on SSD. That's my rule.

Everything else (even games - Unless i have a substantial amount of space remaining) goes to Hard Drives or Network drives.
                        Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
                        Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

Originally posted by trestles126 View Post
                          ...My only concern is when I had the issues with the system crash that I may have uploaded the OS again or there was a bad fragment that wasn't cleaned out before the reinstall I have about the same amount of items on the ssd and seems more full
                          about every third time I install a new OS into a system, there is some crappy glitch gremlin that rims me...
                          I never know what or why, but I always just start over, then its ok...
                          HAF932 Mods
                          C70 Mods

Comment

Yup best solution imho is a clean install.
                            Then directly after that do as Cyclops suggests
                            Originally posted by Cyclops
                            1. Turn off hibernation by going to command prompt and typing "powercfg -h off".
                            2. Turn the system restore functionality off. To turn system restore off, right click on my computer -> properties -> advanced system settings -> system protection -> configure -> turn off system protection.
                            3. Turn off virtual memory. If you've got 8 gigs of ram or more, you typically won't need virtual memory. Leave it on if you're running virtual machines. To turn virtual memory off, right click on my computer -> properties -> advanced system settings -> advanced -> performance settings -> advanced -> change -> click no paging file, then click set and then OK.
                            Do these as your skill level will allow. You may not want to turn of System restore unless you got daily backup then no trouble there either.
                            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

If your to the point of re-installing then a clean install is the best in my opinion. I use a couple 256 in raid0 for games and os, HDD for movies and tunes. To be honest it doesn't really matter where you have your games, your os and apps yes it matters though. I find over time the windows files just get corrupt, make your os partition disposable then just reinstall as needed. Copy your steam and origin folders onto backup drive then once you reinstall stream and what not copy backin your folders.
                              Blackout
                              Something-New
                              Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Working...
                              X