Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making your own ATX / PCIE cables for modular P.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making your own ATX / PCIE cables for modular P.S.

Sooo you guys that do all this nice cabling/sleeving, I need help! Especially with the Darkside stuff that Daz sells. I was hoping to make my own cables by using the pre-sleeved single cables from Daz. I ordered a bunch of the wrong stuff, me being an idiot that didn't do the homework properly. Didn't realize there were male/female ends to the single Darkside cables. Somehow I had it in my head that I could just buy 24 cables, 2 female ends, and snap it all together to replace my modular PS cable. DOH!

I also made the same assumption with the pre-built Darkside cables, that they were direct replacements for modular PS cables. So I bought 1 pre-built ATX Darkside cable, and 2 pre-built PCIE Darkside cables. In addition I bought 24 single Darkside cables in various colors, and some female end caps, hoping to make a modular replacement which won't work for obvious reasons:

Big question is, can I salvage ANY of this? Maybe rip off the male ends of those cables and re-crimp them with female ends?

If the cables are long enough you can cut off male pins, crimp female pins on, reheatshrink, go for it. but don't do that if they are going to end up being too short.
    Also you need to pay close attention to the cable pin out for the connector in the PSU to the connector to the mainboard. Many are not 1 to 1 pin outs.
    If they are too short then sleeve your PSU's orignal cables. Easiest would be to use the extention as they were ment and just buy some large red sleeve to do your full 24pin and 8pin cpu power cable in one sleeve each.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

The best thing you can do to learn about sleeving is watch Lutro0's customs Sleeving guide.

Comment

I've watched some of Lutros guides, but he glosses over a lot of the basics while he's working. Plus, he's annoying as hell when he tries to be funny (and isn't). I'd love to see a guide for building a modular replacement from the ground up. Most guides don't mention specifics about the pins, orientation in the plugs, etc.

I wonder how much Daz' restocking fee is. I haven't use the red cables and most likely won't now. Plus if you look at the pic, the top PCIE cable came missing a strand, so that has to go back anyway.

Comment

I can't speak for Daz's restocking policy I've never sent anything back. LOL
          Worst case post them in the Buy and Sell section.

As far as a guide explaining pin out each power supply is different.

My Seasonic has a 10 pin and an 18 pin connector to the PSU and a 4 and 20 pin to main board. There are 4 double wires connections to deal with. Some PSU will have capacitors. on some cables. Pin outs are as simple as tracing wires from one connector position to the other connectors position.

Some things you can do safely. You can switch wire positions with wires of the same colour. Doing this will fix most tangles. Some people say you can safely remove the caps. so long as your not driving your PSU to it's limits. I prefer to relocate them. I also prefer PSU's that don't have caps.

A full tutorial is beyond me though.

Comment

Now I understand why people sleeve the cables that came with their power supply, and just change the end caps. Not exactly plug and play when you did what I did. I should have just bought sleeve in bulk, and sleeved the Corsair cables. Tried to be lazy and avoid sleeving and got burned.

Comment

Sleeving is all about patience. I took 3 tries at my first 24 pin cable before I was happy enough with it to put in my rig.
              If I pull that rig appart I'll prob redo it again now that I know how to.
              I take two or 3 days to do a 24pin cable cause I'm in no hurry do one mess about do another. I need to wear magnifying glasses to see that I'm doing well enough so I can only wear those for short spells of headache. Oh it's good to be an old fart.

I'll be buying white wire and new pins for the Stryker build. Will be making all custom cables with white sleeve. Black or Blue tracers undecided which yet.

Comment

So Bart the 24 atx you bought is only an extention to add on to your exsisting cable?? Yes I'm a noob lol
                Stubs

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                  Sleeving is all about patience. I took 3 tries at my first 24 pin cable before I was happy enough with it to put in my rig.
                  If I pull that rig appart I'll prob redo it again now that I know how to.
                  I take two or 3 days to do a 24pin cable cause I'm in no hurry do one mess about do another. I need to wear magnifying glasses to see that I'm doing well enough so I can only wear those for short spells of headache. Oh it's good to be an old fart.

I'll be buying white wire and new pins for the Stryker build. Will be making all custom cables with white sleeve. Black or Blue tracers undecided which yet.
                  Looking forward to seeing your new build Hooded
                  I agree Patience is everything in sleeving
                  I find it boring,tedious meticulous and messy
                  I am working on some now,it is best done in short controlled bursts
                  But when you finish and install it gives your rig custom personality
                  then you appreciate all your wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by Midnightoil View Post
                    So Bart the 24 atx you bought is only an extention to add on to your exsisting cable?? Yes I'm a noob lol
                    Yup! DOH! One mistake of many so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
                      Looking forward to seeing your new build Hooded
                      I agree Patience is everything in sleeving
                      I find it boring,tedious meticulous and messy
                      I am working on some now,it is best done in short controlled bursts
                      But when you finish and install it gives your rig custom personality
                      then you appreciate all your wasted time
                      I agree with you so much, i was working on that right now, need to take a break as it's quite long. never done a 24pin but i am sure it's a project of it's own after doing only x2 6pin pcie cables. you're idea bartacus wasn't bad but you would have had to order the right wire in different colors and make sure they where the same length also or cut them to length and redo the connectors. i was considering doing the just that lol.
                      Orange GT Build
                      Orange V8 GT Build
                      Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

I wonder why they don't offer female-female pre-built cables? I thought more people would be looking to replace their modular cables and that seems easiest to me. You'd have the cable put together in mere minutes, assuming you were ok with the length.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
                          I wonder why they don't offer female-female pre-built cables? I thought more people would be looking to replace their modular cables and that seems easiest to me. You'd have the cable put together in mere minutes, assuming you were ok with the length.

take a look at this.

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supp...ables-red.html

Individually Sleeved Modular Cable upgrade kit for the Professional Series AX850/AX750/AX650 PSUs. *December Promo* Get this FREE when purchasing an AX Series PSU! Discount appears upon checkout. Click here for details on promo. Offer ends 1/06/13
                          Orange GT Build
                          Orange V8 GT Build
                          Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Originally posted by MRDcanadian View Post
                            take a look at this.

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supp...ables-red.html

Individually Sleeved Modular Cable upgrade kit for the Professional Series AX850/AX750/AX650 PSUs. *December Promo* Get this FREE when purchasing an AX Series PSU! Discount appears upon checkout. Click here for details on promo. Offer ends 1/06/13
                            Wow, thanks! Too bad they weren't UV!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
                              Wow, thanks! Too bad they weren't UV!
                              to bad there isn't even orange in the choices
                              Orange GT Build
                              Orange V8 GT Build
                              Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Working...
                              X