Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which paint to use ?

Hey guys (and gals),

I want to get into modding a bit and I'm wondering which paint to use for different applications.

I've read a few threads about Snef's builds (by the way, j'admire ton travail!) and I'm seeing plasti-dip used a lot. From what I could gather, Plasti-dip dries in a peelable, streatchable coat that is shiny looking (as opposed to matte). I also understood that you have to cut the masking tape/paint limit in order to avoid the paint peeling off with the masking tape when you take it out. So I guess using plasti-dip makes it that you can always take the paint off to return the part to its original state.

I was wondering when using plasti-dip was not recommended. I know that using Plasti-dip for a stencil with a lot of details is not a good idea because of the peelable aspect of it. Are there also any limitations in regards to materials it can't paint well (metal, acrylic, flexible PVC tubing, ...).

Finally on a side note, as anyone had experience with warranties for painted parts ? Is the general rule : you paint it, you void it ?

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks

I only use plasti dip on PCB's and things I ma wish to remove it from. Mainly PCB's. Everything else I paint.
    Painting aluminum requires a good self etching primer if your looking for a great paint job.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

So no plasti dip for aluminium parts ?

Comment

you can use plasti-dip on everything but you will not have the same level of finish of regular paint

the main reason for Plasti-dip is return to original aspect
        if i dont need this or i need to manipulate a lot, i used regular paint

what you need to paint?

and other things, white Plasti-dip can turn yellow after 18 or 24 months

just use a little bit of distilled water on a microifiber cloth and wipe it gently and return to bright white

Comment

Originally posted by snef View Post
          you can use plasti-dip on everything but you will not have the same level of finish of regular paint

the main reason for Plasti-dip is return to original aspect
          if i dont need this or i need to manipulate a lot, i used regular paint

what you need to paint?

and other things, white Plasti-dip can turn yellow after 18 or 24 months

just use a little bit of distilled water on a microifiber cloth and wipe it gently and return to bright white
          Thanks for the help. I was wondering for future projects, may it be radiator sides, case inwards, psu cover or mobo plastic shields.

Comment

Working...
          X