Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do/buy for monitoring flow rates and water temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do/buy for monitoring flow rates and water temp?

Hey Folks!

I thought about posing this question in my build thread, but I think it might do more good to noobs like me to discuss this under a separate topic. This is an aspect of my noob build that I've considered, but haven't acted on yet. I'm not even sure if this info matters as long as your temps are acceptable. What are you experts buying for monitoring flow rates and water temperature? I know you can get Koolance plugs for temps, and flow rate monitors, but what do you hook it all up to? I'd rather not spend $200+ on an Aquero setup, since I'm not convinced those things are worth the price premium.

Discuss!

Bart

i just monitor hardware temps if they're fine then i know my flow rate is fine and my liquid temp is fine.

Comment

I just monitor temps as well with sensors and realtemp now that coretemp sucks $ss

I have read that if a actual flow meter sensor sticks can stop/restrict the flow so never bothered with those

If your flow stops,temps rise pretty quickly...Been there

Comment

I use visual on how much water swirl in my tube reservoir ATM
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Likewise. I keep an eye to my dual bay XSPC res and software to monitor temps. Personally I think it's a waste of a 5.25 drive bay for the pricey Koolance equipment. And as mentioned by Fuzzy, I'd be worried about a stuck flow meter - kinda like a stuck thermostat in your car!
          Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

Well I'm quickly running out of 5.25 bays in my 800D! That is a concern. I think I'll leave well enough alone for now. At least until I win an LD case, or buy a CaseLabs case!

Comment

I use the pricey Koolance equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
                Well I'm quickly running out of 5.25 bays in my 800D! That is a concern. I think I'll leave well enough alone for now. At least until I win an LD case, or buy a CaseLabs case!
                All 6 of the 5.25 drive bays are used up in my HAF 932! (fan controller, blu-ray player, dvd-rom drive, X-Fi Fatal1ty sound and the dual bay XSPC res)
                Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

Im going on aquaero 5 xt with powerajust

I tried corsair link but its a piece of junk
                  The idea was very good but they release it to fast

Now i have a fc-touch and koolance flow meter
                  koolance sometime stop working, simply stop spinning, i removed it

I want more control, i will try aquacomputer kit, if not what i want i will sell it
                  Last edited by snef; 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I don't use any of the monitor hardware that is sold out there, if something stops, well the temp will rise up and if you keep an auto shutoff function on you're bios setting you can save the hardware. makes it a little different to indentify the probleme if that happens but like daz said just look at the liquide in you're rez if you start it again and it doesn't move then the flow isn't there, and etc.
                    Orange GT Build
                    Orange V8 GT Build
                    Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

I like watching the spinners spin
                      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

i got DDC pump with tach cable to mobo if pump fails its gona give me fan fail. soft boot off form the bios.

as for temp: coretemp for cpu and my evga precision for gpu it gives me a relatively close to real temp in the task bar

Comment

I was looking at this more from a performance perspective. I figured my first loop wouldn't be anywhere near optimal due to noob tube runs, or too many 90 degree connectors, etc. The water temp is something that I wanted to know so I could see what a difference push/pull makes versus just pull. I'm going to tear down my loop and redo the 360 rad in push/pull, so it would have been nice to have before/after coolant temps. But I can live without all that stuff, as my loop seems to perform pretty well, I think!

Comment

If you want to watch your coolant temps, I am not to sure of your set up, but swiftech has made a res that monitors your temp. Only place I have seen them for sale is ncix. I have not yet bought one. Thought it was a cool idea though. Not to sure if Daz will be carrying them. Here is a link.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=75331&...cture=Swiftech

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianBoy View Post
                              If you want to watch your coolant temps, I am not to sure of your set up, but swiftech has made a res that monitors your temp. Only place I have seen them for sale is ncix. I have not yet bought one. Thought it was a cool idea though. Not to sure if Daz will be carrying them. Here is a link.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=75331&...cture=Swiftech
                              Yeah I saw that unit when I was doing my build. But I opted for the XSPC bay res instead because I wanted dual D5 pumps in a fairly space-efficient setup. Daz stocks other stuff for this kinda thing, but I'm not sure I have the drive bay space for it. This is REALLY making me want to ditch my CDROM and get an external one!

Comment

Working...
                              X