Custom GPU back plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom GPU back plate

Hello Everyone, I was thinking in making a custom GPU back plate either with acrylic of Aluminum (probably aluminum as it's easier to work with). does anyone have experience making them and have tips to give me or things i need to keep in mind to make it work? one of the questions i have, is how much spacing between the GPU and the pate do i need to avoid shorting it?
    Last edited by MRDcanadian; 02-03-2013, 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Orange GT Build
    Orange V8 GT Build
    Ice Phoenix Build

I have been thinking about making acylic backplate so wont short out
    I would put some 1/8th washers everywhere some xtra height away from board wont hurt

Comment

since i do not have a reference model, i can only use the 4 screws around the GPU. one of the more reason to use aluminum as it's stiffer. i could always attempt to get some kind of rubber sheet and stick it on the side that is between the gpu and back plate. not sure how the temps would affect the rubber though
      Orange GT Build
      Orange V8 GT Build
      Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

here is a pic of the pcb

Click image for larger version

Name:	6950PCB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	74958
        Orange GT Build
        Orange V8 GT Build
        Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Becuase you only have the 4 screws for the gpu heatsink and to more holes between the gpu and it's ports, your not going to gain any strength from a backplate only some protection from falling screws fitting and the like.

Because of that I would lean more towards an acrylic or plexi and be sure to get some rubber washer spacers or plastic spacers. 1/8 thick should be plenty to clear the cards pins.
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

acrylic is ganna cost me a little fortune, around my area, they only sell the whole sheet in orange florescent . like 20x or more then i need for my 2 gpu combined. (probably enough to make a full tower case)
            Orange GT Build
            Orange V8 GT Build
            Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Home Depot, pickup clear plexi or lexan piece large enough to make wo backplates. Crappy Tire pick up some Krylon Orange paint for plastics. carry on
              Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
              OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
              Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                Home Depot, pickup clear plexi or lexan piece large enough to make wo backplates. Crappy Tire pick up some Krylon Orange paint for plastics. carry on
                10 dolla make ya holla !!
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

Would leave a little gap if you are using acrylic so that a little air will circulate, otherwise it is possible that you could start to melt the acrylic from the back of the PCB. I would use Aluminum myself just for the heat dissipation and you could paint it. Best of luck and as always > pics please.
                  3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

I would double and triple check anything around the PCI slot. I bought a backplate for a 460 and it wouldn't fit because of the clips used to hold in the ram. I was getting a little pi&#ed and almost forced it when I saw the clearance issue.

Anyone looking for a blackplate for a EVGA GTX460??
                    Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

it's more for looks then usefulness. i'll look at that for the acrylic and paint see if that may come out like i picture it to be. for the orange acrylic i would put LED to make the sides glow and put my dinoc carbon fiber on top with a design cut out from it to make a final custom touch. thanks everyone for the tips greatly appreciated
                      Orange GT Build
                      Orange V8 GT Build
                      Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Working...
                      X