Help me choose a monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a monitor

I am looking for a new monitor but I thought I would like to hear what you guys like/dislike about your monitors and what you might recommend. (BTW this monitor is for gaming primarily)

Requirements:
    AMD free-sync
    1440p+
    IPS

I am thinking of getting the LG 34UC88: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC88
    34"3440x1440 curved IPS panel with free-sync(range 55-75) -$899

This panel looks great, the only things that concern me are
    A) I've never used a curved display and I don't know if I will like it. I have seen a Samsung curved 1080p in store but the curve isn't the same, neither was the size. Most people online seem to agree that the curve is more immersive for gaming.
    B)The free-sync range is pretty high. Playing on my 2560x1440 I drop down to 50fps sometimes in GTA5 on ultra no AA, where free-sync wouldn't technically work. (although I have read there is a half-baked implementation with lower frame rates so its not as bad a no-freesync but not as good as when in range.) Apparently you can easily 'hack' the monitor with CRU(custom resolution utility) to make the range 40-75, and some people have reported going as low as 30-75 range no problems.
    C)Content: what can you do in 21:9? I know GTA5, Total War and some racing games I play support it, but what else? Will I end up with black bars on so many games that I might as well save $200 and buy a 2560x1440 instead?

There is also the 21:9 LG 34UC88-p
    34" 3440x1440 no-curve IPS panel with free-sync (range40-60) -$720
    If I go with non-curved this panel is the same but with a better freesync range, although it only goes to 60hz not 75. Possible to overclock that as well, but I'm not counting on it.

ASUS MG279Q: https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-MG279Q-Fr.../dp/B00ZOO348C -$800
    27" 2560x1440, (same as my current monitor) Free-sync(range 40-100), IPS 144hz.
    This is the same res. as my current monitor but with freesync and 144hz refresh. I would go for this monitor if I decided I don't want 3440.

If anyone has other suggestions for monitors I would like to hear them, as well as your own experiences, especially with 21:9, I know some of you have more than one fancy monitor! I was considering a 4k 16:9 but I don't think it is necessary for that many pixels and again my FPS would take a big hit. Looking forward to reading your responses, thanks.
    My Imgur

I like my asus, g-sync 279q, haven't had it long, but no problems thus far.
    Blackout
    Something-New
    Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

I agree with Nass, got a refurb from Newegg with almost 0 backlight bleed. great monitor.

Comment

My Asus 32" is sweet running 2560x1440 @ 75hz.
        I prefer it to my Acer 34" 3440x1440@100hz
        The 21:9 aspect ratio is great for watching movies but I don't like it so much for games. Also not a lot of games have good support for 21:9 aspect ratio.
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Working...
        X