Installing multiple single LEDs using Darkside CONNECT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing multiple single LEDs using Darkside CONNECT

I bought quite a few Darkside LEDs, which have a 3 pin connector to connect to a MB header to power the LEDs and dim the LEDs, as if I were controlling a fan. Instead of using MB fan headers, can these be powered by an Aquaero 6XT? Apparently, on the back of the Aquaero, it has 2 x 3 pin PWM headers that supply 12V (I don't have mine with me, but I think I remember seeing these). Can the Darkside CONNECT LEDs, multiple LEDs hooked together using a Darkside CONNECT splitter, be powered and controlled using these connectors on my Aquaero 6XT? All my fans are going to be running off the 4 x 4 pin PWM headers so these headers will not be used. I just wanted to check to see if anyone knew for sure instead of me plugging them in to test them and end up frying something.

Please let me know if this is an option. If so, I'll reiterate how awesome these LEDs are.

Thanks.

Yes absolutely your Aquaero will be able to run those LED's and then some.

If the LED's have a 3 pin connector then they are wired for 12volts. If they are wired on a molex plug using only two wires it could be wired for 5volt rail.
    The thing to watch for is the total amperage your going to pull from your plug. Each LED will add a little more. check the specs on your Aquaero for the total amps the 3 pin fan headers can handle. Usually 2 or more amps on good controllers,.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

You can control with any voltage regulator device. As long as xt also can lower voltage, not only pwm signal ou are ok
      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
      Venom Build: Build Log,
      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
      Orange Build: Final Video
      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

To answer your question, yes, I have the 3 pin connectors on the LEDs. Last night I thought of another solution, running them off an Aquaero slave since most of my connectors on my Aquaero 6XT are being used with the exception of the PWM 1 & 2 connectors, which is are 2 pin, not 3 pin. On the 2 pin PWM header, pin 1 is a ground and pin 2 is 12V. I'm not even sure what would plug in there since the manual only lists the pinouts, but that header won't be an option once I make these LEDs 12V.

So, I think my options are the MB headers or an Aquaero slave. I have multiple LEDs, 3mm, 5mm, strips, and a handful of extensions and some Darkside CONNECT 3 way to 3 pin cables. I have 12-14 LEDs using 3 pin connectors, and I'm going to need more because I want to use the strips in the lightbox mod going into my rig.

Does anyone know how many amps each type of LED needs? I'm trying to figure out how many LEDs I can connect to each power source, and if there's any benefit for using 4 pin PWM connectors instead of 3 pin voltage controlled connectors. I can add either a third Poweradjust Ultra, which has a 3 pin connector delivering 12V, 3 Amps/36 Watts or I can connect an Aquaero slave controller, which will give me more than just 1 connector. Which would be the better option using 12-14 12V Single LEDs/Strips?

Comment

The LED's will be somewhere around 30mA.

Meaning you can use a shit load

1000mA = 1A
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Ok, well a Poweradjust Ultra 3 with a heatsink installed will run 12V, 3.0A, 36 Watts, so it seems like it should work. I just need to figure out how to connect every single LED together using extentions/splitters to get them all powered by 1 x 3 pin connector.

I saw 4 pin PWM CONNECT cables available to use in combination with these LEDs. If I use an extender/splitter with a 4 pin PWM connector on it, is the LED powered any differently than using the cable converting the 2 pin LED to a 3 pin voltage controlled LED?

Comment

Working...
            X