Help New Pump Smoke and smell burned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help New Pump Smoke and smell burned

First time doing set up was working fine for 15 mins then smoke suddenly came out. I turned it off and saw leaks coming from the pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	e970135c-91fe-4614-811c-f3aba961ad801459513048.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	79877Click image for larger version

Name:	20160805_231313.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	79878Click image for larger version

Name:	20160805_231318.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	79879

Update: so apparently removing the mounting bracket and screwing it back in doesn't give a good seal. I guess i learned it the hard way.

The worst part is that daz is our for a week.
    Last edited by meaien; 08-06-2016, 03:32 AM.

Sorry to see this happen.
    Did you try and refill the loop to see if the pump was toasted?
    Guess you'll have to wait until Daz gets back if it is.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

this is a total bummer. unscrew the entire pump assembly and check the circuit board for burn marks.
      HAF932 Mods
      C70 Mods

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160806_140332_001.jpg
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	77165 totally toasted I can still smell it. I bought a replacement pump for now to make my right useable. But yeah total bummer

Comment

Damn, that sucks. The DDC pumps scare me. Stuff like this is why I've always opted for D5's. They're not infallible, but you rarely hear about D5's going bad.

Comment

being my first time water cooling i have very low knowledge about this. But notes taken, is a D5 a upgrade over DDC?

Comment

Sorry to see this.
              Yes D5 are the top of the crop.
              I've never had one fail.
              Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
              Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

Ohhh, I did a similar thing when water leaked down from the top of my res and on the attached DDC pump, burnt out too. Screws could be a tiny bit too long without the bracket to form a seal?
                My Imgur

Comment

Yeah that's what happened. I dont know what to do with it atm. I did change the motor to an old laing ddc 3.25 that I found to make my rig usable. I also have another question, As of this moment with my current set up GTX 1080 OC temp sits at 40c while the i7 6600k OC at 4.40ghz is 40c on idle, 70 on normal load and hitting 77-82 on full load. Is that normal for new water cooling loop or I did something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by meaien View Post
                    being my first time water cooling i have very low knowledge about this. But notes taken, is a D5 a upgrade over DDC?
                    I wouldn't describe them as an upgrade, since technically DDC's have more head pressure (I think!), but they're far less prone to failure, with the negative being they're a bit bigger, and tougher to cram into smaller spaces.

Comment

both model are really good pump

you can use a DDC again without any fear

I built a lot of water-cooled computer and only one failed pump and it was a D5

always use DDC 3.1 or pwm and spin down the pwm one to 2000 rpm, (3.1 is already at lower speed than 3.25)

I heard a lot of issue with 3.25 or pwm at full speed,, if you don't have pump heat sink, spin it down and you will never have any issue

Comment

Yeah that's what happened. I dont know what to do with it atm. I did change the motor to an old laing ddc 3.25 that I found to make my rig usable. I also have another question, As of this moment with my current set up GTX 1080 OC temp sits at 40c while the i7 6600k OC at 4.40ghz is 40c on idle, 70 on normal load and hitting 77-82 on full load. Is that normal for new water cooling loop or I did something wrong?
                        My 6600k hits about 55C on stock voltages and temps with a quad rad and a 295x2 in the loop, so yours seems a bit high. The Tcase listed on intel's website is 64C, so you may want to dial back a bit. http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/...90-GHz?q=6600k
                        My Imgur

Comment

Originally posted by Necrodead View Post
                          My 6600k hits about 55C on stock voltages and temps with a quad rad and a 295x2 in the loop, so yours seems a bit high. The Tcase listed on intel's website is 64C, so you may want to dial back a bit. http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/...90-GHz?q=6600k
                          Yeah, I tried it on stock and getting a 30c idle while 60c full load. maybe its the MSI game mode OC that pushing it too far.

Comment

Basically you killed your pump by removing bracket. Screws are exact length, so there was zero seal on one side as screws are too long. It is same as you don't even bother to put them back, so assembly leaked and fried electronics.

Sorry that it happened to you, but it is 100% on your experimentation exercise.
                            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                            Venom Build: Build Log,
                            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                            Orange Build: Final Video
                            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Yeah, I tried it on stock and getting a 30c idle while 60c full load. maybe its the MSI game mode OC that pushing it too far.
                              What program are you testing with?
                              My Imgur

Comment

Working...
                              X