Watercooling questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercooling questions

Hey guys.... been out of the watercooling loop (no pun intended) for a few years now, and see a bit has changed. I am planning on a new build come Spring/Summer with AM4 Ryzen and Vega, am not sure if I will watercool the gpu's at this point, but def the CPU. So I am looking for some advice for watercooling parts to equal, or slightly outperform my current Noctua NH-D14 (which is an awesome cooler btw). What size/thickness of rad would be needed? Does the material of the block top matter, or is it an aesthetics kinda thing? Does the size of the reservoir matter much? Is hardline tubing difficult to work with (bends etc.), or are elbow fittings recommended for first time users? One last thing for now, what size pump is recommended for a single block loop? Bare in mind, I am trying to keep cost to a minimum, so any other recommendations on how to do so would be greatly appreciated...Thank you!

If you're only cooling the CPU, you don't need much rad. I'd say 240 minimum, 360 preferred. Thickness really doesn't matter that much, until you're putting a lot of heat into your loop with GPU(s). You may want to get a rad with low FPI (fins per inch). That way, you don't need high static pressure fans as much, so you can use almost any fans you have laying around. Higher FPI rads need high static pressure fans in order to utilize their full potential. Size of reservoir or block material don't matter at all. As for hardline tube, I suck at bending, so I'm the wrong guy to ask. For most people, it's not hard to get the hang of, but order extra tubing, because you WILL screw up and need to redo tubes. Elbows can make life easier, but they also cost money, so you'll need to weigh that for yourself. If you're looking to save money, water cooling is not the hobby for you. Daz has Darkside fittings for great prices, but it still costs quite a bit for elbows, especially the dual 45 type ones.

Hope this helps, and welcome to our tiny zoo.

Comment

ya, definitely the Darkside line is our favorite.

pumps there are only two kinds... D5 is pretty much the goto, controllable speeds, and very quiet.
      I'm a DDC man, mostly cause the work just as good and are more compact.

There are many Rez - Pump combo kits that we can recommend.

good luck, ask anything you need help with and we'll be here.
      HAF932 Mods
      C70 Mods

Comment

Once your ready just ask for a list idea and see what your cooling, your being optimistic for srping/summer build I think on zen first they gotta come out then blocks be made. Ek will be on it pretty quick would imagine though.

I use both ddc and d5, ddc would go max a 3.1 though, no noise to speak of as you move up in power so increases noise and vibrations. D5 variable though you set the speed and therefore noise, so.

Once you have a case selected layout your loop and figure your parts needed, your going to need a few 90's, extensions and swivels plus a tee for a drain. Then your size desired adaptors 12 or 16mm. Bending takes a few try's but you'll get the hang of it fast. As bart said already get extra for waste they are not that expensive, cheapest part actually.

Water cooling and saving money shouldn't really be used in the same sentence. We understand that u dont want to blow money on unnecessary things. Thick rads are useless these days, me personally use dazmode rads and crossflow design to keep things neat in the loop. Low fin count per inch is the best that way your fans u can dial down to low speeds so as to again not make noise. Another reason too water cool. Obviously aesthetics do play a big part in the water cooling scene, but it is up to u to decide what you wanna spend.

Welcome to the addiction brother, your case selection will also have a big influence on your water cooling choices so keep this in mind.
        Last edited by nass; 12-31-2016, 07:29 PM.
        Blackout
        Something-New
        Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have my new case sitting here; Inwin 303. I used the D5 on previous setups, but I just find it bulky. I'm looking for more of a compact setup, and something less costly. After watching some of Daz's videos last night, it does seem as though bulky fat rads are completely unnecessary, which in my case is a good thing. I like efficiency over aesthetics, and the smaller the loop the better (for me anyways). I think Zen will be widely available come April, they release next month, and boards are suppose to be available come March. So hopefully I will be looking at around May to piece this baby together. Still have lots of hardware to buy, and hopefully will have my current rig pieced out and sold by then.

Comment

so basically your working with a 360 rad in the 303
            Blackout
            Something-New
            Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Isn't Zen the same cooling mounts as previous AMD chips? Should help with block selection

Comment

Originally posted by kennah View Post
                Isn't Zen the same cooling mounts as previous AMD chips? Should help with block selection
                Different mounting

Originally posted by nass View Post
                so basically your working with a 360 rad in the 303
                Maybe, if I can get away with a 240 I will do it. I don't really want to cover up the Seasonic Prime that I might purchase.

Comment

I don't think the new AMD CPU is a new mounting for coolers. Just a new socket with same cooler mounting.
                  Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                  OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                  Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                    I don't think the new AMD CPU is a new mounting for coolers. Just a new socket with same cooler mounting.
                    Noctua is offering brackets for their coolers for AM4, so I'm pretty sure it is different. Could be just the back-plate maybe? Honestly, I have no idea at this point, it's just from what I have read.

Comment

Just dug this up... https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu..._cpu_coolers/1

Comment

Good info I was just going by the look of the mounting on the boards.
                        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Ah, interesting. That's too bad, but maybe adaptor plates will exist for current universal blocks

Comment

Will mount with adaptors that are now coming out for the AM3 to AM4 and a 240 rad will be tons of cooling for a cpu only loop.
                            Last edited by gdesmo; 01-01-2017, 04:21 AM.
                            3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

maybe our smexy EK guy knows what EK's timetable is for AM4?
                              HAF932 Mods
                              C70 Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X