Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a easy PSU to sleeve

Hello,

I want to make a custom cable set for my PSU. I've been looking for a wiring diagram for my Corsair RM1000i for a long time until I found something yesterday.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1420796/r...y-pin-outs/560

Check out post #570. Seems to be a pretty good pinout and wiring diagram for my PSU by user SimonOcean.

However, there's a problem. My 24pin is loaded with capacitors and double wires. I'm not afraid of double wires but capacitors... I wouldn't even want to try and get the knowledge to install those. Also, the 24pin is loaded with a bunch of different AWG wires. Bottom line is I don't want to sleeve this PSU and extensions are not an option as I have very little room in the back and floor of my Anidees AI Crystal Lite.

So I'm looking for a easy PSU to sleeve (ideally one to one for everything) that's also high quality, around 850W rating and a bit more compact than my current one wouldn't hurt.

I looked online for threads about easy PSUs to sleeve and I get a TON of conflicted information. A bunch of people recommend the RM1000i !! Nope, not easy.

Can anyone recommend a PSU that has (been proven to have) what I want ?

Thanks

Silverstone Strider series is the closest thing to a 1 to 1 pin out for all cables. Fully modular as well.

There are no external capacitors on Silverstone PSUs

I have 2 Strider Gold 850 series. They are just as I posted above.
    Last edited by Hooded; 01-29-2017, 02:32 PM.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

There seem to be different product lines under the strider name (5 to be exact).

http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...?tno=2&area=en

Is this true for all these products ? Also, they aren't the most well rated products (on newegg at least) from what I see. Is there any other options ?

Comment

Silverstone 850 is the one I am looking at. Hate the doubled up leads on most of the PSU's out there.
        3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
          Silverstone 850 is the one I am looking at. Hate the doubled up leads on most of the PSU's out there.
          Are you talking about the strider platinum series ?

I'm reading this thread (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13887) and it seems that the 1000+W units are constructed by Enhance while the 850-W units are done by Sirfa (confirmed by SS post #9). Sirfa seems like a manufacturer that's keen to cheap out on construction (soldering especially if JG is to be trusted) unlike Enhance.

Comment

I've have 2 Strider 850 Gold PSUs.Both work great run silent. 1 is 2 years old and still running strong.
            Out of the 9 reviews on newegg 3 were bad 3 were excellent and 3 were mediocre.

How many people like me bought them and never did a review, thousands I'm sure.
            Most of the time reviews are done when people have a negative experience.
            Last edited by Hooded; 01-29-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
              I've have 2 Strider 850 Gold PSUs.Both work great run silent. 1 is 2 years old and still running strong.
              Out of the 9 reviews on newegg 3 were bad 3 were excellent and 3 were mediocre.

How many people like me bought them and never did a review, thousands I'm sure.
              Most of the time reviews are done when people have a negative experience.
              Thanks for your input.

Comment

I used a lot of Strider PSU , some have more than 5 years now and still rock solid

and all Strider fully modular use same pinout, no double wire,

and for capacitor, I always remove them for all psu I have (always do custom wire) this include Corsair, EVGA and more
                and never have any issue, all build was and are rock solid stable

Comment

I sleeved an EVGA psu myself a while back, found out that the capacitors help with ripple but are not mandatory.
                  My Imgur

Comment

Originally posted by snef View Post
                    I used a lot of Strider PSU , some have more than 5 years now and still rock solid

and all Strider fully modular use same pinout, no double wire,

and for capacitor, I always remove them for all psu I have (always do custom wire) this include Corsair, EVGA and more
                    and never have any issue, all build was and are rock solid stable
                    Well if I don't need to install capacitors, I might just sleeve my RM1000i then! I bought the Thermaltake Dr Power II so I'll be able to compare the voltage fulctuations on all rails on my sleeved 24pin.

Comment

Could I just sleeve this with 18AWG accross the board or is there a specific resistance reason with 22AWG join in with 16AWG (see link in first post) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Virgule View Post
                        Could I just sleeve this with 18AWG accross the board or is there a specific resistance reason with 22AWG join in with 16AWG (see link in first post) ?
                        For the most part looking at the diagrams it is because two 16AWG wires in a single connector is going to be much bigger and might even require a different pin end.
                        Corsair 800D
                        2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
                        Software Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Izerous View Post
                          For the most part looking at the diagrams it is because two 16AWG wires in a single connector is going to be much bigger and might even require a different pin end.
                          Yeah, but this junction can be done on the wire before the pin and connector. I would be surprised to see multiple wires going in a small connector housing, but I could be wrong. It would also be surprising that specific AWG sizes are chosen to offer different resistance value on wires and that this design choice is important. I just wanted to make sure.

Regards,

Comment

I wouldn't use 16awg on anything in my computer. Too fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                              I wouldn't use 16awg on anything in my computer. Too fat.
                              Yeah, I use 18AWG for everything except fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X