Painting Aluminium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Aluminium

Hey so, I stripped down the Cubitek Mini Tank, and it's all in pieces. The bare aluminium is all scuffed up and ready for Primer, but the rest of the chassis has a brushed black finish... is there any special procedure to go by before priming? Will the primer bond if the black finish is still there? I can't seem to get rid of it...

on bare metal you need self etching primer

and what is the finish if the black? anodyzing?.

if yes , if you want a really professional work, you need to remove it but in real, again self etching primer will do the job perfectly

or simply dip it in caustic sauda

Comment

I have Zinc Chromate Dupli Color Primer for the bare aluminium. Not sure if the rest is anodized or not... but it sure is giving me a hard time. Might do a test spot with the Easy off. The dipping method looks great, although I won't be able to dip the whole case
      Last edited by Gutternutz; 06-11-2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I would be careful if using caustic soda as in 2nd vid for a few reasons. I use Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide) to control and maintain the pH in oil and gas well water based Drilling Fluids. I get it on pallets of 25KG bags. It is usually mixed at a ratio of 25kg to 45 Gal water. At this concentration, the solution becomes near boiling, highly corrosive, and will instantly burn any exposed skin. An aluminum pop can will last only a few minutes in it before completely dissolved. Even getting the dry powder on skin will burn once it is hydrated by sweat.

1) Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide/potassium hydroxide) is very.....well......caustic (highly corrosive). It burns skin and organics instantly on contact once hydrated. Even the vapor is caustic (will burn skin, membranes).

2) Caustic Soda eats aluminum. Dont leave piece in caustic solution for long or there will be nothing left of it.

3) Never use hot water to mix. The chemical reaction between water and Caustic Soda creates heat and can actually boil.

4) Always add Caustic Soda to COLD water, and NEVER ADD WATER TO CAUSTIC SODA!

5) WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND WEAR HEAVY RUBBER GLOVES IF HANDLING! GOGGLES AND A FACE SHIELD ARE BEST.

Comment

Thanks for the info.. def. not going that route! lol

Comment

like i said , a good self ectching primer or if its brushed aluminum, a relly good filler primer and good sanding

i used caustic soda, in fact, i use something who have caustic soda like Draino liquid (dont remmeber the exact name)
            but never used the concentrated one

and i tried the "easy off" method and work very well, but same, i always use mask, eyes protection and rubber glove

these are always for painting EK backplate, i dont do this anymore, i paint over and never have any issue
            Last edited by snef; 06-11-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

So I am painting a aluminium SSD cage that I made today... any idea Snef as to how long this zinc chromate primer takes to dry before I can apply my color?

Comment

I generally let it dry all night and paint the next day,

Comment

Originally posted by snef View Post
                  I generally let it dry all night and paint the next day,
                  Thanks man... cheers.

Comment

Well, it turned out really well... but ummmmm 2.5" drives are actually 2 3/4" SoOoOoO that was a real waste of time!!!!!! `WHY NOT CALL THEM 2.75"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!! LOLZ

Comment

Yup that's correct.
                      It goes back to 2.5" spinning disc's. The platters were 2.5" in diameter.

Always remember this golden rule.
                      Measure twice, cut once.
                      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                        Yup that's correct.
                        It goes back to 2.5" spinning disc's. The platters were 2.5" in diameter.

Always remember this golden rule.
                        Measure twice, cut once.
                        Yeah, that's the thing.. I never measured lolz.. should have known better. Oh well... prototype take 1, final take 2 =p Will probably turn out even better the second time around.

Comment

Working...
                        X