Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with pump capacity and difference with multi link and compression fittings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with pump capacity and difference with multi link and compression fittings.

Good morning everyone.

This is my first post on the DazMode forums. I have decided to take the plunge, as it were and build a hard tubed PC. I previously had a soft tubed setup. Unfortunatly when I was messing around with my PWM settings I had accidentally caused the pump to stop running, my overclocked CPU overheated, and caused the Swiftech Apogee XL2 water block to crack. That was the end of that setup.

Now, 4 months after that failure, I have decided to do a hard tube build, after Air Canada smashed my PC when I moved, and now I can finally afford to rebuild.

Which brings me to my first question.

What, exactly is the difference between a hard tube compression fitting, and an enhanced multi link? I have looked at various answers on the internet and it seems an enhanced multi link is like a compression fitting, but not exactly. What is the difference? or are they exactly the same other than a name change? well, other than aesthetic differences that is.

The two type of fittings, specifically are:

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...16mm-g14-blue/

and

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...k-for-od-12mm/

I wanted 10 of the ek-hdc fittings, but there were only 8 in stock on the DazMode store. So I got 8 of them and then I got 2 of the enhanced multi link fittings.

If there is a substantial difference between the two fittings, other than the looks, where should I put the multi links? I was thinking of putting them on my reservoir as it is a bay res, and will be mostly out of sight.

My next question is regarding my pump.

I suppose I should explain my Frankenstein setup. The surviving remnants of my old loop that are going into my new build are the ST30 120mm Alphacool radiator, the Alphacool repak 5.25 single slot bay res, a Zalman reserator 3 max radiator that I spliced into with the old loop as it saved me having to buy a new 240mm radiator at the time, and the Phobya DC12-400 PWM pump.

So the new loop will consist of

ST30 120mm radiator
    Zalman Reserator 3 Max radiator
    ST30 420mm radiator I just bought off of DazMode store
    The 5.25 single slot bay rez
    Phobya DC12-400 pump
    and a Crosshair hero 6 Monoblock

So why all the radiators? I intend on eventually adding 2 Vega 64 cards, water cooling them, and overclocking as much as possible. I realize I am at serious overkill for radiators at the moment for just the monoblock.

The question is, is that pump sufficient for all the radiators and monoblock? and eventually 2 cards? or should I just install the 420mm when it arrives, and leave the other 2 radiators out of it. and upgrade pump and add in radiators later?

I have attached a photo of the old soft tube build, and the PC in its current form as of 2 days ago. At least I think I have.

I apologize if I have put this in the wrong section.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Prairiemedic; 04-01-2018, 12:04 AM. Reason: first thread title was not the best.

Sounds like a cools build.
    The only difference between those fittings besides the looks is the manufacturer.
    Bring on the build log.
    to the community,
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and reply on the fittings. I was just tallying up all the things I have bough this PC and am extremely horrified on how much I have spent. I have never done a build log before. But, I think I just might when the parts from DazMode arrive.

Comment

hey! a medic. right on. welcome aboard. for sure do a build log.

Zalman reserator. wow old school stuff is super cool.

about your pump. probably will work fine, but I would call this a dated design for sure.
        grab any of the DDC or D5 pumps here and you'll be very satisfied.
        especially given how nice the kits are now for pump/rez combos.

and forget about trying to cap your spending... you can't take money with you to the grave.
        HAF932 Mods
        C70 Mods

Comment

Both the fittings in your links work for hard tube, obviously different sizes though being 16mm and 12mm the other.

3 Rad's, mono, couple vids later, maybe a new pump also I would say when ya do the later 2 gpu blocks, also you could always try then change pump if needed.

Then again where your located maybe a new pump res now with your order.
          Blackout
          Something-New
          Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Working...
          X