Watercooling vs Air - Power Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercooling vs Air - Power Consumption

Hey, so im currently getting into bitcoin mining and would like to save every dollar when comes to electricty and thought of the power consumption of watercooling as compared to air.

I just bought two 5970's with blocks on them so no added money there so either way going water cooling but id like to know.

so if anyone is about to do a new system of water cooling, could you take power readings of the system first running on air idle and load.

then put together your loop and get the readings again.

Id assume watercooling would use slightly more power, but when comes to cooling the cards the transistors and such should use less power from being colder, so i wonder if it balances out in the end.

any one up for the task?

thanks

Considering the amperage of typical pumps I don't think even liquid cooling could offset the cost unless it was passively cooled on the radiator. Actually mentioning that there are passive CPU coolers that do actually work... but are huge.
    Corsair 800D
    2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
    Software Developer

Comment

Huge but also can look very cool.
      Some cool gpu passive heatsinks as well.
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

I'd say unless you have all the parts already, just the fact buying new parts for a water cooling loop should be equal to an offset for a couple of months or maybe years depending how much is missing for the loop. really it's hard to calculate without some kind of an monitor like a ups system or a corsair link with a power supply from them in the ax-i series. can't help you there sorry
        Last edited by MRDcanadian; 03-09-2013, 11:40 PM.
        Orange GT Build
        Orange V8 GT Build
        Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

i bought one of these and works rather well

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

i do have all the parts for a loop, no cpu block but have a brand new unused cm hyper 212+

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post

i do have all the parts for a loop, no cpu block but have a brand new unused cm hyper 212+
            stephen does that unit display real time wattage?

Comment

yes it does

Comment

is bitcoin mining as CPU/GP-GPU intensive as folding at home? IDK.

If it were me, on a 24-7 system, I'd strip it down to the bone and use that CM 212+

gotta get me one of those Hampton meters.
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

you can only mine efficent on a gpu, and most gpus arent very good at it

basically only ati cards from 5000 series up do well.

but yeah just as intensive as folding.

ill be underclocking the cpu as low as i can to save power.

also the gpus have blocks on them i wont have stock air heatsink for them.

i just wanted some power usage numbers just to know.
                  Last edited by stephen; 03-10-2013, 03:57 AM.

Comment

I would be quite interested to see results.

My estimation, that without overclocking power consumption will go up if Laing pumps are used, as they can take 37W for D5 and 18W for DDC plus all radiator fans, minus GPU turbine fans and CPU fan (possibly minus some case fans).

Dynamics get less clear with overcloking. Also, at certain point overclocking just won't cut it, so the question is if you get more coins because of higher performance and if electricity usage is worth it....
                    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                    Venom Build: Build Log,
                    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                    Orange Build: Final Video
                    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post

if that works well then it should do the job to find the total watt. like daz mention a few parts extra vs a few less could balance. water cooling is essentially taking the heat from multiple location and stacking them up in one spot where you get rid of it, that being said, since you may need 2 fans to do the job of 4 if the setup is well done i wouldn't see it being a-lot more if not equal in some scenario. if you would compare cooling performance per watt consumption I am sure water cooling will prove more efficient per watt vs air. if you test both, i would very much like to see the result.
                      Orange GT Build
                      Orange V8 GT Build
                      Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Working...
                      X