exposed threding is that okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exposed threding is that okay?

So after finding out that the barbs I picked up were threded to long, I thought at first fml... but then thought why not just see how far these barbs can go. After a good 5minutes tightening each barb, they are impossible to move unless with the aid of a wrench (with a lot of force into the turns). My question is, is this okay to do? I tested it by connecting it to my faucet and there were no leaks but im just a little worry that there is about 1/4" of threding extruding from the port. Should I apply epoxy around the exposed threding? If this all a bad idea then someone should tell me

Pics of the exposed threding:

http://oi44.tinypic.com/k0r1vp.jpg
    http://oi42.tinypic.com/2ushbaf.jpg
    http://oi44.tinypic.com/2qt96yg.jpg
    http://oi42.tinypic.com/eisftc.jpg

If its a bad idea can someone help me out as stated bellow, would be awesome:

Im already so over budget on this rig and having to spend more for shipping than the barbs themselves is just escalating my price even more, so what im asking is if anyone can simply add these 2 barbs and ill come by your place (obviously paying you the cost as well) to pick them up. Seems silly that for 2 little barbs the cheapest option is $13 from Canada post, but anyway if there is someone in Vancouver (Burnaby, Richmond, it doesn't really matter where in GVR) it would be awesome. Im at that point that I just cant afford to spend even an extra $1 more than I need to.
    Last edited by monkey_mo; 06-11-2013, 11:20 PM.

You may want to clarify which barbs you're looking to buy, other then that I can't help you friend.

Comment

oh is the hyperlink not working? well I forcefully managed to get them in this far into the rad (pics in the OP) opinions is this okay to do? If what im doing is not recommended then these were the adapters I was looking at https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...o_g1_4_female/

Comment

Where did you get those barbs?
        Are you sure they are G¼ threads? Not say a 3/8" NPT which is a tapered pipe thread?

Are you sure the rad is also G¼ thread. What brand of rad is it?

The link your posting to shows a G3/8 male to G1/4 female, I don't see how that would help you out.
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

its the older pa 120.2 its which used G 3/8 threding. I just got today my koolance g3/8 to g1/4 females, which as you can see are a little exposed. I thought the port was going to have enough threding inside the rad. Theres about 1/4" of the threded part of the barb sticking out, that's my concern, but in my simple testing there was no leakage at all.

Comment

You may be okay. I would keep leak testing for a couple of days - maybe even move the rad around to see if any leaking happens. Hopefully it doesn't!
            Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

yeah its been under the faucet for the last hour and a bit, no leaks. I honestly thought I was going to break the rad when I tightening the barb, if water can squeak through id be extremely shocked but for extra safety I was going to put some epoxy around the base of the port.

Comment

Parallel threads will not seal themselves and require another type of seal (like an o-ring). They really only provide a force for the o-ring to seal.

Having extra threads proud doesn't matter as long as you get enough force on the o-rings to seal. But if not enough force is given, then you could end up with a leak.

Tapered threads seal against each other (no o-ring) but will often use thread tape or dope to assist.

From the pics, it looks like you are using a tapered thread. Make sure both the res and barb are designed for the same thread profile. If not, you could end up cross-threading and wrecking both!
                Last edited by Grey; 06-12-2013, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I'm afraid you might damage your rad by the looks of the fittings, it looks like they are NPT fittings which are 18 threads per inch with a 1 3/4 % taper. G1/4 and G 3/8 are straight threads with 19 threads per inch, you should never have to force things when it comes to cooling equipment ! Proper G3/8 to G 1/4 would have been easier, however you may get lucky and have no problems down the road.
                  3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

well that's great to hear... But after close inspection there appears to be no damage to the barb threding. I didn't force twist the barbs to much after it stoped twisting nicely on. So these are the barbs I needed wasn't it? http://www.dazmode.com/store/product...o_g1_4_female/ I wanted them originally but then thought they be to short. No objections to these ones to be used with my rad gdesmo? and thanks for the help guys, I didn't even know about the different thred/inch, always assumed they were all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_mo View Post
                      well that's great to hear... But after close inspection there appears to be no damage to the barb threding. I didn't force twist the barbs to much after it stoped twisting nicely on. So these are the barbs I needed wasn't it? http://www.dazmode.com/store/product...o_g1_4_female/ I wanted them originally but then thought they be to short. No objections to these ones to be used with my rad gdesmo? and thanks for the help guys, I didn't even know about the different thred/inch, always assumed they were all the same.
                      Yes please use those correct adapters, when in doubt give any of us a shout. And throw those barbs away or give them to someone you don't like !
                      3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Originally posted by Grey View Post
                        Parallel threads will not seal themselves and require another type of seal (like an o-ring). They really only provide a force for the o-ring to seal.

Having extra threads proud doesn't matter as long as you get enough force on the o-rings to seal. But if not enough force is given, then you could end up with a leak.

Tapered threads seal against each other (no o-ring) but will often use thread tape or dope to assist.

From the pics, it looks like you are using a tapered thread. Make sure both the res and barb are designed for the same thread profile. If not, you could end up cross-threading and wrecking both!
                        Try not to ever use teflon tape in a computer cooling system, a loose piece can plug part of a water block or ruin the seal on a pump if it gets wedged in between the rotor shaft and the seal. Pipe dope will kill your biocide if you are using it so don't use it either plus it does not play nice with some plastics.

Comment

daz really needs to make $5 shipping on orders under like 5lbs or something around there!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_mo View Post
                            daz really needs to make $5 shipping on orders under like 5lbs or something around there!!!!!!!
                            Sorry but the postal service is not as cheap as you think it might be. I ship a few things and am not surprised at the charges at all, it is a combination of weight and physical size that determines the price.

Comment

ive shipped motherboards to quebec (and im from Vancouver) for just under $20 insured as well, ive just wondered that as little stuff like O-rings a couple of barbs can easily be slipped in a padded envelope which is always less than $5 cross county, whenever ive used my CP Business account. Its an honest question because last order, my shipping cost would have been the exact same if I were to add in one of those molex dc psu's in a package containg just barbs. Im not saying daz is ripping us off but there is something odd about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X