Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to prep used watercooling hardware for storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to prep used watercooling hardware for storage?

any one would have tips an tricks on how to prep radiators and general water cooling hardware for storage so they suffer a minimal deterioration over time?

example: should i let it completely dry before putting stop plugs, should i avoid putting stop plugs so it can air out? should i leave a little bit of water in there, would it need to have a protector of some kind in the water if yes?
    Orange GT Build
    Orange V8 GT Build
    Ice Phoenix Build

Flush and clean well, dry fully then plug off has been my approach.
    Corsair 800D
    2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
    Software Developer

Comment

Clean it well and then fill with 50-50 mix of water and car anti-freeze, then put the G1/4 plugs on. Anti-freeze has anti-corrosives and if no air gets in than no oxidation will happen. Make sure you flush it well when you go to use it again !
      3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Radiators use a 10:1 mix of hot water to vinegar, Water blocks 10:1 mix of warm water and vinegar...great for flushing plastisizer out. For oxidation inside the block use lemon juice and a tooth brush. Don't leave the vinegar mix or lemon juice in there over night and flush with distilled water when you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by huhh View Post
          Radiators use a 10:1 mix of hot water to vinegar, Water blocks 10:1 mix of warm water and vinegar...great for flushing plastisizer out. For oxidation inside the block use lemon juice and a tooth brush. Don't leave the vinegar mix or lemon juice in there over night and flush with distilled water when you're done.
          Would there be any harm in using a 50/50 mix of hot water and vinegar to clean out a rad? I have a ton of plasticer in my rig, but I've been to lazy to dismantle the rig and give the cleaning it needs. Does anyone know if plasticer sticks to the inside of acrylic reservoirs? (My apologies for stealing this thread!)
          Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

You'll want to be careful using that much vinegar a 10% to 20 % should be enough. Vinegar is a very strong cleaning agent and too much could damage your acrylic res.
            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by scaccima View Post
              Would there be any harm in using a 50/50 mix of hot water and vinegar to clean out a rad? I have a ton of plasticer in my rig, but I've been to lazy to dismantle the rig and give the cleaning it needs. Does anyone know if plasticer sticks to the inside of acrylic reservoirs? (My apologies for stealing this thread!)
              Vinegar is pretty strong and using to much may damage the copper in your radiator. Even a large amount of plasticizers should be easy to remove with a 10:1 mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                You'll want to be careful using that much vinegar a 10% to 20 % should be enough. Vinegar is a very strong cleaning agent and too much could damage your acrylic res.
                Originally posted by huhh View Post
                Vinegar is pretty strong and using to much may damage the copper in your radiator. Even a large amount of plasticizers should be easy to remove with a 10:1 mix.
                Thanks Hooded and huhh!
                Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

Working...
                X