I have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have questions

First of all I am new to water cooling, I have built and upgraded a few computers.

What I have currently to water cool.

AMD fx-8350
    gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Thermaltake Chaser MK-I

What I plan on putting in.
    N760 GAMING GeForce GTX 760 2GB (maybe x2 in sli)
    RipjawsX Series 32GB PC3-12800 Quad Channel DDR3 Kit (4 x 8GB) or 2x - HyperX red 16GB DDR3-1600MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 8GB) for 32GB
    Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W Modular Power Supply

What I am planning on doing
    double rad top, single rad at back.
    2x - XSPC - Universal Memory RAM Side Plate Modding Kit (Twin Set)
    EKWB - EK-RAM Dominator x4 (CSQ) Waterblock - Acetal Nickel
    Koolance CPU-370SA Performace CPU Water Block
    EK-FC670 GTX or EK-FC680 GTX water block (I need help finding which one exactly fits)

Is the cpu water block good? or should I get something else?
    Is there a Mother board water block available. I don't know how to tell which one may fit.
    What kind of water pump (single or double pump) would best suit this build?
    Is the power supply enough?
    Should I get an in case temp monitor and fan controller? (I am thinking this is a yes)
    Anything else I should be considering?

Thank you for any help you may offer.

Originally posted by TheEcho View Post
    First of all I am new to water cooling, I have built and upgraded a few computers.

What I have currently to water cool.

AMD fx-8350
    gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Thermaltake Chaser MK-I

What I plan on putting in.
    N760 GAMING GeForce GTX 760 2GB (maybe x2 in sli)
    RipjawsX Series 32GB PC3-12800 Quad Channel DDR3 Kit (4 x 8GB) or 2x - HyperX red 16GB DDR3-1600MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 8GB) for 32GB
    Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W Modular Power Supply

What I am planning on doing
    double rad top, single rad at back.
    2x - XSPC - Universal Memory RAM Side Plate Modding Kit (Twin Set)
    EKWB - EK-RAM Dominator x4 (CSQ) Waterblock - Acetal Nickel
    Koolance CPU-370SA Performace CPU Water Block
    EK-FC670 GTX or EK-FC680 GTX water block (I need help finding which one exactly fits)

Is the cpu water block good? or should I get something else? go with the aesthetics they mostly all perform very close to each other
    Is there a Mother board water block available. I don't know how to tell which one may fit. - i am not sure if they do full motherboard water blocks for this board. here is an option, http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/w...npdf?wb_id=398. daz may be able to get it for you.
    What kind of water pump (single or double pump) would best suit this build? two pumps is as a fail safe purposes, if one pump would fail you would then have another that still would do the job till you replace the one that failed, i only have one in my build. (I recommend daz D5 pump vario, very quiet even at full blast and the vario would like you controlle the speed and help chasing bubbles out of your system)
    Is the power supply enough? you can use this to have an idea. http://www.corsair.com/us/learn_n_explore/?psu=yes
    Should I get an in case temp monitor and fan controller? (I am thinking this is a yes) - this is optional, the goal is to control the fans to minimize noise. there is plenty of other approach you may take to minimize the noice, PWM fans for one example
    Anything else I should be considering?

Thank you for any help you may offer.
    i hope that helps sir
    Orange GT Build
    Orange V8 GT Build
    Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Hey buddy. and welcome to Dazmode Forums! Awesome to have you aboard.
      Here's my take on your questions.

Is the cpu water block good? YES. but pretty much all blocks are universal AMD

Is there a Mother board water block available? NO ... afaik only Gigabutt UD4/5/7/9 blocks

What kind of water pump? D5 ... single pump unless you're paranoid and need redundancy

Is the power supply enough? IMO ... YES. even on SLI.

case temp monitor and fan controller? YES... but really optional.

Anything else I should be considering? showing us your pron bro!!
      HAF932 Mods
      C70 Mods

Comment

All pretty good choices but no need for so much Ram. 550 watt psu for single gpu and 750 for SLI. Build pics will be nice !
        3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Is the cpu water block good? or should I get something else? As the guys have stated go with something nice they all perform much the same.

Is there a Mother board water block available. I don't know how to tell which one may fit. There isn't any block for this board that I am aware of. Having owned two myself , if I remember correctly they only make blocks for UD7 and UD9 flavors.

What kind of water pump (single or double pump) would best suit this build? You don't necessarily need two pumps. Two pumps would be more for redundancy , if one pump fails the other works as a failsafe. I have yet to have a high end pump fail on me if that's any assurance. The one that did fail was a very early model XSPC low power pump. D5 being at the top end of performance and DDC or DCP for more compact requirements. The two previously mentioned models are most often louder and offer slightly less performance.

Is the power supply enough? Yes , you're good! However the best advice I could offer is that you NEVER cheap out on a power supply. Go for a reputable and well-rated unit. It's best to fork out the extra dough to avoid damage to your expensive components because of a cheap power supply unit. Alternatively , to give yourself an idea you can use this tool "PSU calculator" to give you a better idea on what your power supply requirements may be.
          http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

Should I get an in case temp monitor and fan controller? (I am thinking this is a yes) You don't need to have one as such. There are ways of monitoring temps through freeware applications available on the web. If the sound of all your fans at 100% speed doesn't drive you mad , then you don't have to bring in the fan controller into play. But generally , I would suggest you pick one up. It brings some nice aesthetics to the build too if you don't have much going on in the front hehe.

Anything else I should be considering? Unless you're doing some hardcore rendering on a daily basis going with more than 8gb ram is overkill. Cooling ram imho is for looks only. Ram doesn't really get hot unless you are overclocking it quite a bit. Don't be afraid to ask questions and look up other modder builds/loops before undertaking you're own. Take a good look around your case , measure and take pictures to remind you how a certain area is layed out. This way you can lookup the image and make a more accurate plan of your loop!

Welcome to the Dazmode community!
          Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
          Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend you find both a video card and the matching gpu block before you buy either. This has cost a few of us a $100 mistake.
            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Everything is covered in above posts, hard to add anything...

Welcome to the forum!
              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
              Venom Build: Build Log,
              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
              Orange Build: Final Video
              HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend you find both a video card and the matching gpu block before you buy either. This has cost a few of us a $100 mistake.
                Been there, done that !
                3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
                  Been there, done that !
                  ya i had a close call myself on that, only one block that fit my video card and honestly the looks isn't what i wish it would be but i bought them prior to getting in water cooling business. i would do exactly like hooded suggested if i upgrade.

btw welcome to the forum sir.
                  Orange GT Build
                  Orange V8 GT Build
                  Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your help, I appreciate it.

Comment

I've always said this is the most helpful group in the WC community!!Make sure to post pics Echo cuz it sounds like a very cool build. And to think I'll be in Stoon in a few days...lol.
                      CL SM8|Asus Sabertooth Z87|i7 4770K|16GB Corsair Veng|Kingston HyperX|Seagate Barra|Corsair AX850|EVGA GTX670 SLI
                      XSPC Blocks, Bits Dual Pump Top and Tube Res|Dual D5|RX480 with Logisy and Deep Cool in P/P|Bits and TFC Fittings and XSPC Tube|Distilled with DazM Protector

Comment

Nice, while you are there check the crops, haven't been home in a while. I won't be heading home till it is time to harvest

Comment

Working...
                        X