Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Water Cooling: First Build Help (Picking Parts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Water Cooling: First Build Help (Picking Parts)

Hey guys, I'm new to water-cooling. I've never before installed a custom loop. Previously, I've used Corsair H100i's in most of my rigs. The newest one features a GTX 780 Lightning and a Corsair 900D case so I've got all the room in the world.

For the moment, I'm probably just looking to do a CPU (non complex) loop, but with the availability for future (easy and not too pricey) expansion to the GPU.

What parts *exactly* do I need? I'm looking at mainly a $400 budget right now, most likely. Going for a red/black/white color scheme, if that matters right now. Brands I like: EK and Raystorm! Only real request outside of that is a tubed reservoir, particularly one that isn't puny & potentially angled fittings!

Thanks for any and all help! Hoping to get more familiar with water cooling in the meantime by checking out articles and YouTube videos. Again, if possible, can you list ALL parts needed (number of fittings, adapters, etc etc.) Basically don't know where to begin, lol.

Much appreciated.

to the community and your new addiction.

Any of the kits Daz sells are a great starter.
    The ones with the triple(360) rads would be enough for a CPU and room to add a block for your GPU later on.
    Daz's Darkside Complete TRIPLE Radiator - D5 Pump - Flex Kit looks like the best choice to me.

However you could spend closer to your $400 buy custom ordering each piece.
    If you want a tube res you'll need to buy your pieces individually.

Best thing you can do is watch some of Daz's watercooling videos posted at his store in each section to learn about pumps, rads, blocks, fittings, reservoirs etc...
    Educated buying will save you money.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

and be aware, this forum might create a strong addiction to pc modding!!!!

Comment

If you look for tube reservoir, probably EK kit is closest to it, because at thsi time Flex kits and Raystorm come with Bay or tank reservoirs.
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by Redefined View Post
          ... if possible, can you list ALL parts needed (number of fittings, adapters, etc etc.) Basically don't know where to begin, lol...
          Hey man, welcome again to DazMode. Believe me, You are not alone.

Just don't kid yourself that you can go and put absolutely everything in your DazShoppingCart, and expect to perfectly execute your first build.

Everyone here has ended up making a return trip to the store.

That being said, I really like the BitsPower rez and pump combos. easy to assemble, looks fancy with dress kit.
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

welcome to dazmode redefined. the ek tube are a definitely a good option i have the D5 Xres that includes a pump mount and i love it but, that option requires you to mount it. if you want more of a bling factor daz as a special on a frozenQ reservoir in white (one red) but that will be of your preference to chose as it's a little more expensive but i think they look great. fitting is what i find difficult to get on the first try. you can picture needing a 45 degree but need a 90 degree sometimes when you actually set it up. just make sure you get the fitting with a swivel on the G 1/4 tread if it's angled one.
            Orange GT Build
            Orange V8 GT Build
            Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Okay, so after my first pass of parts I've come up with the following.

CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm Intel
              Reservoir: EK RES X3 400 Tubed Res
              Pump: EK DCP 4.0 Pump
              Radiator: XSPC EX 360-BK
              Hose: Some kind of red, "hard" hose @ 1/2"

My question is, what kind/how many fittings will I need? I really do like that 90 degree look, especially out of the CPU block. Else it doesn't matter too terribly.

Fittings is the hardest part for me to determine which/how many/what angle/etc? Here's a LOL MSPAINT drawing of my set up. Just a simple single loop for now, but I'll eventually be getting a 780 Lightning Block and adding that. What should the layout be like and order? Suggestions? Also, is that pump and this set up able to throw in that GPU block eventually without too much altering?

Thanks guys. I've been watching videos and reviews and what not. Got the hang of some things, still in the dark with others.

Comment

A good start.
                There is a problem with your pump location. It's too high up in the build. Your pump can run dry (without fluid). The idea of the res is to give your pump ample fluid so it does not cavitate or run dry. Best location for a pump is directly below the reservoir, but any place below it is fine.

Fittings for hard coloured tube means you need to use the Primo Chill stuff. Daz doesn't carry that. You basically need two fittings per item.
                2 - CPU Block
                2 - Rad
                2 - Res
                2 - Pump
                so a min of 8 using your current layout.
                Some pump res combo kits can save you requiring a set of fitting, because the pump and res are directly joined.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                  A good start.
                  There is a problem with your pump location. It's too high up in the build. Your pump can run dry (without fluid). The idea of the res is to give your pump ample fluid so it does not cavitate or run dry. Best location for a pump is directly below the reservoir, but any place below it is fine.

Fittings for hard coloured tube means you need to use the Primo Chill stuff. Daz doesn't carry that. You basically need two fittings per item.
                  2 - CPU Block
                  2 - Rad
                  2 - Res
                  2 - Pump
                  so a min of 8 using your current layout.
                  Some pump res combo kits can save you requiring a set of fitting, because the pump and res are directly joined.
                  Okay. Noted about the pump placement.

Is this layout (lol @ Paint) better then? Adding GPU block because I'm going to get it eventually (and at the same time now).

Is there a way I can reduce having as many 90 degree adapters in that layout via another path? Because by my count, I'd need a lot $_$

Lastly, with every 90 degree adapter, I need normal compression fittings as well, correct? The 90 degree elbow won't hold in the tubes alone, correct?

Comment

With that layout I really only see a need for two 90º the rest could be the tube flex between points. You can usually make all connections with only tube. I wouldn't recommend using hard tube for a first project. Get the feel for building your loop then later upgrade to hard tube when you know exactly what you'll need.

Are you planning to get a cross flow rad like the XSPC one or a more normal one with the ports at one end.
                    There are an unlimited amount of options for tube runs. Don't try to guess what spacers and angled adapters you'll need before you get the blocks, rads and other components placed in the case. At that time you'll be able to see what you can run with a straight tube and what you'll need spacer adapters for.

When the time comes to selecting your 90º you can get some that have the compression fitting attached and others with no compression fitting just a G¼ thread male/female at each end. There is a plethora of fittings to choose from so do some surfing through all the different options available.

Note* compression fittings don't work with hard tube, another reason to get regular tube to start.
                    Last edited by Hooded; 11-07-2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

With that layout I really only see a need for two 90º the rest could be the tube flex between points. You can usually make all connections with only tube. I wouldn't recommend using hard tube for a first project. Get the feel for building your loop then later upgrade to hard tube when you know exactly what you'll need.

Are you planning to get a cross flow rad like the XSPC one or a more normal one with the ports at one end.
                      There are an unlimited amount of options for tube runs. Don't try to guess what spacers and angled adapters you'll need before you get the blocks, rads and other components placed in the case. At that time you'll be able to see what you can run with a straight tube and what you'll need spacer adapters for.

When the time comes to selecting your 90º you can get some that have the compression fitting attached and others with no compression fitting just a G¼ thread male/female at each end. There is a plethora of fittings to choose from so do some surfing through all the different options available.

Note* compression fittings don't work with hard tube, another reason to get regular tube to start.
                      I think I'm going to stick with hard PrimoChill tubes, but instead of trying to get 90 degree angle adapters, I'm hopefully just going to bend them. My Uncle is a plastics manufacturing owner so I think he should be able to help me in my endeavor.

Is my latest MSPAINT layout correct? Pump under neath the Res, and that order? Yes, I'm going to use a cross-flow rad. My question really is the direction of water-flow. If the pump is under neath, isn't it essentially going left to right? Will it have a hard time on the initial incline from the pump to the GPU block? Or am I missing it completely and it'll be going from the Res to the Rad first, in my layout?

Lastly, will the EK DCP 4.0 pump cover my loop?

Thanks man!

Comment

Flow direction does not matter, except for inlet/outlet of pumps and some CPU blocks.
                        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                        Venom Build: Build Log,
                        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                        Orange Build: Final Video
                        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                          Flow direction does not matter, except for inlet/outlet of pumps and some CPU blocks.
                          So if I have 1 tube going to the bottom and 1 tube coming out the top of a tubed Res, with the pump on the bottom, I'll be okay?

It doesn't matter in terms of flow direction where the pump is positioned?

Comment

Is my latest MSPAINT layout correct? Pump under neath the Res, and that order?
                            Yes this is correct

My question really is the direction of water-flow. If the pump is under neath, isn't it essentially going left to right?
                            The flow is not left to right, it is clock-wise. The flow is a loop/circle and it doesn't matter if it flows clock-wise or counter clock-wise.

Will it have a hard time on the initial incline from the pump to the GPU block?
                            It's a pump it pushes fluid up hill the incline will be as nothing to the pump. Check the pumps head spec to see how high it can push a column of water.

Or am I missing it completely and it'll be going from the Res to the Rad first, in my layout?
                            The flow in your current diagram would be
                            Res > Pump > GPU > CPU > Rad > Res
                            NOT Pump > Res > Rad > CPU > GPU > Pump

Your pump must always follow your res. You can go without a res, but filling and draining the system must be well planned out if your go that route. Pump must not run dry!

Lastly, will the EK DCP 4.0 pump cover my loop?
                            Yes this pump will do just fine.

So if I have 1 tube going to the bottom and 1 tube coming out the top of a tubed Res, with the pump on the bottom, I'll be okay?
                            Yes. Flow into the top of res then out the bottom. Note some res allow both inlet and outlet at the bottom.

It doesn't matter in terms of flow direction where the pump is positioned?
                            Your pump cannot be positioned upside down. Meaning the inlet port can't be at the bottom of pump. Anything other position should be fine.

Comment

Yes this is correct

The flow is not left to right, it is clock-wise. The flow is a loop/circle and it doesn't matter if it flows clock-wise or counter clock-wise.

It's a pump it pushes fluid up hill the incline will be as nothing to the pump. Check the pumps head spec to see how high it can push a column of water.

The flow in your current diagram would be
                              Res > Pump > GPU > CPU > Rad > Res
                              NOT Pump > Res > Rad > CPU > GPU > Pump

Your pump must always follow your res. You can go without a res, but filling and draining the system must be well planned out if your go that route. Pump must not run dry!

Yes this pump will do just fine.

Yes. Flow into the top of res then out the bottom. Note some res allow both inlet and outlet at the bottom.

Your pump cannot be positioned upside down. Meaning the inlet port can't be at the bottom of pump. Anything other position should be fine.
                              Thank you so much for the help!

Looks like my build list is about complete and it's soon time to buy.

-EK Supremacy Plexi-Nickel CPU Block
                              -EK GTX 780 Lightning GPU Block Full Cover
                              -EK DCP 4.0 Pump
                              -EK X3 250 Reservoir
                              -XSPC Triple 120MM Cross-flow Radiator
                              -PrimoChill Advanced LRT 1/2" Clear
                              -Black Fester 1/2" Compression Fittings + 1x Bitspower 45 degree Black angle adapter
                              -Mayhem Red Pastel Coolant 250ml

Question: Will that 250ml bottle of Mayhem coolant be enough? Says it makes up to 1L of coolant. Also, I need to purchased distilled water (?) as well to mix it into?

I'm excited guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X