Need assistance with watercooling - I'm a beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need assistance with watercooling - I'm a beginner

I tried to post in the other thread regarding the start up of water cooling, but since my post wasn't approved after several hours, I thought it might've been disapproved so I decided to create my own thread for it. I apologize ahead of time if I'm not allowed to make duplicate threads.

I essentially have no knowledge of water cooling apart from currently using a closed loop water cooler for my CPU (which isn't really much of a true water cool mod in itself), and the DazMode videos on YouTube.

I am currently Litecoin mining, so my GPUs are generally at 100%, 24 hours a day. I initially did not need to water cool my PC since my fan temperatures were well within reasonable range, but my mother dislikes the heat emitting from the PC, so I kind of have no choice. I don't mind spending the money, as long as it's not blown on pieces that are not necessary for the water cool.

Below is my current build. I likely won't be upgrading much later on, except swapping the HD7850 for a better card, and possibly adding more HDDs (which isn't relevant). I think the biggest issue I have at the moment is my case, which is really cramped. You can look at the example picture below of the case for an idea of what it looks like. As well, SAPPHIRE tends to make non-reference boards, so that might pose a bit of an issue for water cool blocks, but I don't mind figuring out how to use those generic ones. (I don't think I'm missing anything in the list below, but let me know if I did, or if more info is required.)

Case: Cooler Master HAF922
    PSU: Silent Pro M 850W Bronze
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3 (Socket 1155)
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k (Currently OC'd to 4.2 GHz)
    GPU 0: SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X 3GB (HD7970)
    GPU 1: SAPPHIRE HD 7850 2GB OC
    RAM: 4x G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-4GBXL (4GB DDR3-1333MHz sticks; total 16GB)
    HDD 0: WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 (2TB) (WD Green drive for storage)
    HDD 1: Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 15MB Cache) (OS Boot drive)
    HDD 2: Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 (2TB) (Storage)
    DVD-RW: ASUS DRW-24B1ST (Some generic $20 DVD-RW drive)
    Some case fans, but they can be removed

I think the biggest issue boils down to the lack of space in the case. In reference to the example HAF922 picture above, my motherboard is similar in terms of placement and design. My GPUs (in reference to the backplates, where the card leaks out the back for the HDMI to plug in) would be in the 2 & 3 slot, and the 5 & 6 slot (if you look at the left of the picture, where the monitor is connected to the GPU, there are seven plates covering the holes, counting down). They are not in Crossfire X. The HD7850 is beneath the R9 280X, and is solely connected to mine. The PSU's cables unfortunately come out the right side and not on the backpanel side, although I could probably make it work somehow.

In terms of temperatures, at optimal mining config, my R9 280X goes up to ~85 C, and my HD7850 only reaches about ~63 C. Even so, my mother doesn't like the heat coming from it. Hence why I thought that, if I could drop the temperatures of both cards by a significant chunk (half or more), the heat emitted would be (hopefully) virtually unnoticeable.

If anybody could give me a suggestion as to which beginner kit and additional parts to pick up from DazMode in terms of pricing and suitability catering to my build, I would really appreciate it. As well, suggestions as to where to position each of the pieces is highly appreciated as well. Thank you all very much!

If new case is out of picture, I suggest external radiator mounting.

Triple radiator mounted on the back on bracket will take good care about two GPUs.

The main question if your GPUs are reference or not, if you don't want to recearch or take risk of wrong parts, it is better opt to Universal GPU block with heatsinks.

The rest is straightforward, any selection of tube/fitting/pump and reservoir will do the job.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

@DazMode: I don't mind external mounting, though I'm not too clear about how that would work. Same goes for the radiator with the bracket. Does it need to be custom built or something?

In terms of my GPUs being reference or not, I did some research as you asked:
      AMD HD 7850 Original
      SAPPHIRE HD 7850 OC

AMD R9 280X Original
      SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X

It seems both of my GPUs are non-reference, as predicted. If you were to recommend any of your Complete Kits, which would you recommend would be best for my situation? As well as any extras?

Thank you very much DazMode, I really appreciate the help!!

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but since my posts need to be approved, I can't edit my previous one.

I'm looking at one of these two to start off with (they both have a triple radiator):
        https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...oling-flex-kt/
        https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...t_h3o_360_ltx/

Which one would be better? And since I have two GPUs, what extras should I pick up with them at the same time?

-----------------------------------------------------

Edit: It turns out that the top of my case only supports a dual radiator. Would one of the following two choices could be good possible alternatives?

A) Have a dual + a single radiator (two total radiators) instead of a triple radiator, or;
        B) Only set up the custom water cool for the two GPUs (and keep my current closed-loop water cooler for my CPU with the radiator currently mounted to the back).

If I were to only water cool my two GPUs, how would my list of water cooling parts change? The two GPUs are my top priority at this time.

The first idea might not work well since the loop might get a little confusing, so I'm leaning towards the second choice.

I also have a lot of unused space under my DVD-RW drive, which could fit several reservoirs and/or pumps and/or anything else appropriate for the water cooler.

Thank you all very much
        Last edited by stormflora; 12-13-2013, 06:35 AM.

Comment

I'd go with the Complete TRIPLE Radiator - D5 Pump - Flex Kit
          You'd need the Adjustable Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-Release to mount the 360 rad.
          From what I've seen listed for heat off those cards, I would recommend a 360 to cool them.
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

I just don't know about this...

correct me if I'm wrong here, but using a universal GPU cooler isn't going to provided any benefit to VRMs ...
            where in this application, bitcoin mining, that would be extremely important.

If you look around in the right places Stormflora, you can find some powerful, already waterblocked cards... cough Snef...
            HAF932 Mods
            C70 Mods

Comment

I missed that part Bungs.
              I would agree a full cover block is needed to cool VRM on GPU's properly.
              Don't see any that fit those cards though.
              Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
              OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
              Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Good choices Hooded, and Bung's that is a great suggestion !
                3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

i have one hd7970 with a full waterblock (EK CLEAR CSQ)
                  if you need,

Comment

Hmmmm ! I'm thinking about it myself.
                    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

I have many customers who run universal blocks successfully and even achieve better overclocks, then they had with full cover before, so I would not say blindly that full cover block are always better.

CPU + 1 GPU = 3 components, so triple rad will do for you. Either D5 pump will do the job.

You will need extra fittings for GPU blocks and possibly more tube, hard to say if 7ft cover it or not.

Comment

@Hooded & DazMode:
                        Thank you very much for your suggestions. Is it possible to use more than one radiator (+ fan)? If so, would that further reduce the temperature? In order to fit everything within the boundaries of my case, I'm thinking having a dual radiator at the top, a single on the back, and a single on the bottom, instead of having to mount a large triple radiator on the outside of the case. Not only would it look awkward, my mother would think something's wrong with it.

I think it's also good to mention that my main goal isn't to further overclock beyond what the manufacturer's OC provides, but to simply reduce heat and noise of my system. Having more tubing won't hurt.

@bungwirez:
                        I'm not exactly sure how mining affects VRMs on the GPUs (I'm not too savvy with specifics like those), but if it helps to know, I leave voltages at stock, and I usually either leave the memory clock at default, or underclock it. I don't go above manufacturer specifications. I did some research about what VRMs do, and I know that they regulate the the voltage to the processors, but apart from that, I have no knowledge of how heat affects them. I always thought that cards were dependent on the processor and memory heat.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1009793/gpu-vrm-cooling
                        ^ That thread seems to say that having some quality heatsinks on them should be sufficient, but I'm not sure. What happens if the VRMs overheat? When are VRMs considered to be overheating (at what temperature)? I'm sorry that I don't know too much about GPU specifics.

And yes, mining does require your GPUs to be at 100% for basically the entire day, so the heat does accumulate.

@snef:
                        Unfortunately, I bought the R9 280X not too long ago, so I can't fork out more money at this time for another GPU. Thanks for the offer though

In terms of temperatures, I repeat, my R9 280X goes up to around 85 C, and my HD 7850 only reaches around 63 C. I'm not exactly sure what temperature max is considered to be safe for GPUs (since many different sources site different temperatures), but I've read that most people cite 90 C as being the maximum before the heat starts affecting the GPU negatively. What do you all think?

Comment

Originally posted by stormflora View Post
                          Is it possible to use more than one radiator?
                          Yes, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by stormflora View Post
                            @bungwirez:
                            I'm not exactly sure how mining affects VRMs on the GPUs (I'm not too savvy with specifics like those), but if it helps to know, I leave voltages at stock, and I usually either leave the memory clock at default, or underclock it. I don't go above manufacturer specifications. I did some research about what VRMs do, and I know that they regulate the the voltage to the processors, but apart from that, I have no knowledge of how heat affects them. I always thought that cards were dependent on the processor and memory heat.
                            well if that's the case, then giddy up... I don't mine anything except nosegoblins, so I didn't really know.
                            you should be able to hook up a universal heatsink and some RAMsinks no problem.

its a bit of a job is all. but we'll be happy to step you through it.
                            HAF932 Mods
                            C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                              well if that's the case, then giddy up... I don't mine anything except nosegoblins, so I didn't really know.
                              you should be able to hook up a universal heatsink and some RAMsinks no problem.

its a bit of a job is all. but we'll be happy to step you through it.
                              Ha Ha ! Nose goblins, never heard that one before ! So funny !

Comment

Working...
                              X