No announcement yet.

Outdoor radiator, getting the heat outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since these are in the basement, that option is out and I have "cold storage" rooms to use. My garage is currently being used to house most of my systems, but that's only viable in the winter. Thanks for the info on glycol pre-mixes, I will need to make a stronger mix to handle down to -40C. I'm thinking something like the mix in a car rad.

Any info on pumps to handle about a 20 foot loop with about 4-6 feet of head? I have a window well close by that room, that would work well to house the radiator boxes. It's sheltered and out of the sun. And as my wife puts it, out of her sight, LOL.

Comment

"Don't" have cols storage rooms, sorry mistype.

Comment

DDC has higher pressure, so I"d say DDC 3.25 (or two) is way to go.
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

We use methanol (25% to40%) in our geothermal loops , much lower viscosity than glycols

Comment

I agree with your numbers gdesmo ,having been in the HVAC trades for 45 years. My numbers were based on our situations , in Vancouver 55 showed signs of condensation from time to time but in Kamloops I could get down to 50ish without worries. In theory humidity in basements should be lower because of lower air temps however in most average homes the humidity is rarely more than 1% to 2% different from top to bottom. (my hygrometers show this time and time again) Without seeing the OP's layout he sure sounds like a good candidate for a mini split ,the condenser can be mounted in a garage for winter cooling shouldn't affect its operation in the summer (Edmonton doesn't usually get that hot) I am trying hard not to throw a bunch of numbers around that most ppl won't understand .

Comment

45 years in the trade, I'm happy that I'm not the oldest geezer now. Yay, I'm #2, Gears #3. Maybe start the Freedom 55 club for antique modders !
              3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Geothermal loops, that is something that I've considered. I have to dig up a large area this summer for a garden anyway. Do any of you have numbers as to how many BTUs/foot of pipe I would get? That solution would only be viable if I don't need thousands of feet of copper buried in the ground.

I've tried to get a mini split AC in that room, it won't fit. The ceiling is very low and there is nowhere for me to install the interior portion. There is only about a 5'6" height and I wouldn't be able to install the condenser int he garage, it's detached and a good 50ft away so I would have to winterize it . The area is a small room in my basement, under the stairs. Maybe 100-120 sqft at most.

So far I'm thinking that my best options are outdoor radiators or possibly a geothermal loop. Thanks for the methanol idea. Is there any special tubing that would need to be used to go outside or would the Tygon brand tubing work well? My dad sells Tygon, so I can get it wholesale. Any special fittings or other parts that would be different with the outside rads?

Comment

As I know there is nothing special except of longer tube run.
                  Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                  Venom Build: Build Log,
                  Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                  Orange Build: Final Video
                  HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Any idea when the EKWB R9 290 water blocks will be in stock? Also, the universal water blocks, they don't cover the RAM chips. How do you cool the RAM chips, just stick on heatsinks? I only ask because I have a few 7950/7970 radeons that are not reference boards, I think that I would be stuck with the universal blocks for those. All my R9 290s are reference boards, so I can use the full water blocks for those.

Comment

this: https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...nk-14x14x10mm/

universal blocks will be great for this app.
                      HAF932 Mods
                      C70 Mods

Comment

no concern for the ram temp?

Comment

you still need to keep it ventilated.
                          HAF932 Mods
                          C70 Mods

Comment

Pros and Cons for full cover blocks vs universal blocks? Am I better off going one route or another?

Comment

no difference IMO - except the asethetics of full block are bling factor
                              HAF932 Mods
                              C70 Mods

Comment

Good to know, I tried to Google the pros and cons of either, but people seem pretty evenly divided on the subject. I do tend to agree with you based on my research last night. Some people even claim that the Universal blocks cool a bit better due to less flow resistance. I'm more concerned with how well the little copper heatsinks will cool the RAM and VRMs. Any experience with those?

So at this point, I'm thinking the universal blocks are the way to go. They can be used on future upgrades, etc. The pump that Dazmode recommended, seems like a good one. Although, the D5 Strong looks like a good option as well. Do you guy have any recommendations for radiators? Are they pretty pretty much all the same or is one brand better then the others. I noticed that the EK rads are a lot more expensive, not an issue if they are worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X