Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spilled coolant - question regarding clean up

Hello All,

First time water cooler with a quick question regarding a build mishap. Ice Dragon cooling liquid spilled on my motherboard after a fitting became lose during some tube adjustments, the PC was off but the CMOS battery was still in and is part of the area where the coolant leaked.

The machine was not powered on but the coolant leaked in a few locations around the board. I have cleaned the board with distilled water and qtips to the best of my ability and have had a fan blowing on the PC for several hours.

My question is, does anyone have experience with ice dragon spilling on components? I know it is a nano liquid and may conduct electricity. Will it require a visible amount still on the board to do damage? I have cleaned as much as possible but removing it all completely doesn't seem feasible.

If the board shorts, will it damage multiple components attached to the board?

I did remove the CMOS battery after the spill, could the short from the battery cause damage to the board?

Thank you for any help on the matter, this has been a bit of a mini heart attack .

I'l ask Ice Dragon folks if they have any suggestions.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Seems no magic solution. You dry teh ebst you can, power up and pray.

"
      It is about as conductive as water.. a little more due to the nanoparticles. But, when I have spilled it on I usually just let it dry and then clean it. You can clean it just like you do with water - wipe it up. Getting all the nanoparticles off might be tough. A damp cloth would work. Just make sure everything is dry before you start it back up."
      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
      Venom Build: Build Log,
      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
      Orange Build: Final Video
      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
        Seems no magic solution. You dry teh ebst you can, power up and pray.

"
        It is about as conductive as water.. a little more due to the nanoparticles. But, when I have spilled it on I usually just let it dry and then clean it. You can clean it just like you do with water - wipe it up. Getting all the nanoparticles off might be tough. A damp cloth would work. Just make sure everything is dry before you start it back up."
        Thank you so much for this reply Dazmode, I was thinking the worst in regards to the properties of the coolant and this makes me feel much better about powering up the machine again after the mishap. Hope all goes well, i plan on letting it go a few days before powering up to ensure all moisture
        has dried.

Comment

I had a few little dribbles of Ice Dragon on my main board with the CMOS battery still in place.
          A good clean up and 24 hours so I new it would be dry and it was fine.
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

ya, I leaked IDC all over my 680GTX. white stains dry up and sort of rub off. no ill effects.
            HAF932 Mods
            C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
              ya, I leaked IDC all over my 680GTX. white stains dry up and sort of rub off. no ill effects.
              Awesome, glad to know cause I almost had a cow last night when it leaked, Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

I've had water drip all over my boards a few times before. Just make sure there is no power going to any of the components. Dry for 24-48 hours make sure to check all the corners (transistors and what not..) and be sure there is no moisture. If you feel like it may cause some damage it is always a better deal to set your stuff aside for a few days then to have it blow up in your face. (so to speak of course) Since Ice Dragon is non-conductive you should be okay though.
                Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
                Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

I would suggest 99% isopropyl alcohol that you can find at a pharmacy (Shoppers/Rexall/Walmart). 99% Isopropyl Alcohol is used to clean up flux and contamination on electronic boards during repair all the time.

Get a small brush (like one used for plumbers flux at home depot), dip it in a bowl of alcohol and brush with a bit of force like you were a 5 year old painting in kindergarden and let it air dry.

It would be a good idea to remove the CMOS battery first and disconnect all the power from your computer. I would probably disconnect the ATX cable going to the motherboard as the PSU has a lot of large capacitors and you never know.

Comment

Working...
                  X