Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another first watercooling setup - GPU focus only

Hello everyone,

Just getting into the water cooling world, but for my first build it is ONLY for my graphics card - the 7990. This thing is quite a beast for heat, and I'm really interested in cranking it to it's fullest potential. Right now it's running way too hot for my liking.

The water block isn't really an issue because I'm looking at the only one on the site - EK water block, particularly nickel/plexi.

Here's the list, I'm thinking it's typical startup list:
    - D5 pump (non-vario)
    - custom tops to change it to 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD tube (preference just for image; if there is opinions on the 1/2" ID tube for performance, I'd like to hear it. I'm just following Daz's tutorials, which by the way are awesome! Thanks Daz!)
    - Rad... Originally I had picked one rad, but I'm thinking I may have issues with the 7990 on just a slim dual rad. Changing that to Darkside's thick dual high performance rad:
    https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...adiator_px240/

I guess, what I'm most curious about is the rad and if it will dissipate heat enough to crank the 7990. I'll slap on 2 Koolance 2600 RPM performance fans (based on the comments, Daz liked this one) in pull fashion; the case I have already has a massive 200mm fan on the bottom that would do the 'push' but if that doesn't cut it I can get 2 more Koolance fans to help with that.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone with the 7990 have issues with a dual rad and need a triple (despite the thickness)? Also, I'm sticking to copper as this build is really going to be protected just from where my computer is placed. Also, as it's meant for performance, I'm not following the typical water cooling mindset in that I'm not going for a silent build. I need to drop my GPU temps from 90-100 deg to 50-60. Note: this card is a dual-GPU card, so I was already of the mindset for a dual rad but am switching to thicker hoping for performance gains.

Secondly, I've been starring at this liquid... I have no idea about the liquid, so I'll still have to do some research, but I read the description on this one and to be honest it sounds freakin awesome:
    IceDragonCooling - IceDragonCooling Nano Fluid - White
    Nothing like cooling Humvees in combat zones to make me WANT! From the looks on the site, it doesn't need any anti-corrosive/bio additions so it seems to kill a lot of birds with one stone.
    May decide to drop a little bit of blue dye in it (is it possible with this liquid?).
    I'm curious as to how many bottles I need to get. I'd say I have a large case with lots of room, so even though I'll take Daz' advice and order 10 feet of tubing to make sure I have room for error, I don't see the final product having more than 3-4 feet... but of course, my newb sense is tingling as I've never done this. Thoughts?

Finally, I'm also debating a reservoir. I've heard a few things, but my main ask is - Is it a choice of a reservoir vs fittings for draining/replacing liquid (I think I've read of performance gains with reservoir, but I'm looking at what happens if you need to replace the liquid)? I was leaning towards a small reservoir but wanted to ask if I should still include the extra fittings (i.e. how hard is it to change the liquid, when required, using a reservoir? I've read up that if you have one, you don't need the extra fittings... very generic statement though).

Thanks in advance for any comments; cheers!

- chillin

I think dual rad with potient fans such as Koolance 2600rpm will be more than adequate, although far from be quiet.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Hey Chillin! Welcome to DazForums!

In terms of performance the things that matter most are Rad size and Fin count and what of course the fans. both your choices will work great for your application. But Daz is right, the Koolance ones can be loud. Our most favorite fan of all time is the Gentle Typhoons.

tube size, pump speeds, coolant type, and choice of rez are entirely arbitrary - no bearing on performance.
      choice parts that are both asethetically pleasing and will fit into your chassis with easy.

ICE dragon is what we call a "fancy" coolant. there may be claims of 1-5 degrees cooler temps, but again, when you consider going from the 90C on air to 50 or less on water, its more to do with the rad and fans.
      If you choose the Ice dragon, I recommend going for a clear tube cause then it looks really sick. The volume you will need will depend on the size of your rez.

BTW: what chassis do you have? and good luck, let us know what more we can do to help you.
      and don't forget to take some pics, post em up so we can all have a good spank
      Last edited by bungwirez; 01-31-2014, 02:01 AM.
      HAF932 Mods
      C70 Mods

Comment

chillin

good choice on the rad its sweet

make sure to plan on adding a drain at the lowest point for the loop or a set of quick disconnect .....you'll be glad you did

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
        thats hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
          thats hilarious
          just speaking the truth brother
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

Nice, I'm happy my choices worked out. I guess I learned a thing or two from the tutorials *whew*!

I'm sporting a Thermaltake Level 10 care. Here's a quick pic I found:
            http://uncrate.com/stuff/thermaltake...-modular-case/

That top back grate (tinted red in the picture from the LED) actually comes off, and there's like the PERFECT fit screw holes for a dual rad. It was destiny that I came to this state! But I may just rebuild it outside the case, mounted on a shelf on my wall or something because the case is starting to fall apart. I am thinking computer parts with water cooling running up the wall right next to my guitar/drumset would look siiiiick. Either way, I'm stoked to get this thing setup!

- chillin

Comment

Welcome chillin. Just a quick comment on this.
              Originally posted by chillin View Post
              - D5 pump (non-vario)
              - custom tops to change it to 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD tube (preference just for image; if there is opinions on the 1/2" ID tube for performance, I'd like to hear it. I'm just following Daz's tutorials, which by the way are awesome! Thanks Daz!)
              If I understood this comment correctly i think you might be confused about the ports on the pump.. All pumps, blocks, and rads come with a standard g1/4th tap; so there is no need to by a custom pump top to accommodate tube sizing(barring physical spacial constraints). So your fittings will be G1/4th on one end(that screws into pump inlet and outlet), and you will select the other end according to your tube ID/OD. Hope that was clear.

Originally posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
              thats hilarious
              just speaking the truth brother
              true!
              The Ultra Fancy Build
              The Bluehawk Pedestrian Build

The Bluehawk Ultra Build - Retired
              The Fancy Pedestrian Build - Retired

Comment

Originally posted by alex5389 View Post
                Welcome chillin. Just a quick comment on this.

If I understood this comment correctly i think you might be confused about the ports on the pump.. All pumps, blocks, and rads come with a standard g1/4th tap; so there is no need to by a custom pump top to accommodate tube sizing(barring physical spacial constraints). So your fittings will be G1/4th on one end(that screws into pump inlet and outlet), and you will select the other end according to your tube ID/OD. Hope that was clear.
                This is not correct, Alex or I'm misunderstanding you.
                The standard D5 pumps comes with 1/2" barb fittings that are molded into the pumps top.
                The standard DDC pumps comes with 3/8 barb fittings that are molded into the pumps top.

Some other pumps may have G1/4 threads by default but not all.

A custom top or a res that has custom mounting for the pump of choice is required to get to the G1/4" thread. That allows you can use any fitting type you please
                eg: barb, compression or hard tube.

And a big to the forum chillin
                Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Yup, as Hooded mentioned, the pumps have different fittings (and also validated through Daz' tutorials). I just wanted to get the 3/8" ID tubes. I would have replaced the pump top anyways for increased performance; the standard fittings are definitely a score!

Many thanks for the welcome guys

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                    This is not correct, Alex or I'm misunderstanding you.
                    The standard D5 pumps comes with 1/2" barb fittings that are molded into the pumps top.
                    The standard DDC pumps comes with 3/8 barb fittings that are molded into the pumps top.

Some other pumps may have G1/4 threads by default but not all.
                    Wow sorry for causing confusion! And Hoody thanks for setting that straight. I didnt know that they came standard with those ugly ass barbs! turns out the the ddc i got from frozen has a koolance top on it! and my d5 came with the dual bay res so it turns out i have never actually seen the standard laing's. Rather embarrassing.

The Phobya 240 i picked up definitely has the g1/4th ports. (can anyone tell me who manufactures these) Daz says in his pump video but I couldn't understand through his accent even though I am a russian speaker myself :/ it definitely sounded chinese though.
                    The Ultra Fancy Build

Comment

Originally posted by chillin View Post
                      Yup, as Hooded mentioned, the pumps have different fittings (and also validated through Daz' tutorials). I just wanted to get the 3/8" ID tubes. I would have replaced the pump top anyways for increased performance; the standard fittings are definitely a score!

Many thanks for the welcome guys
                      The Ultra Fancy Build

Comment

All good alex! Always a learning game right? More fun that way

Comment

Working...
                        X