Hybrid GPU cooling/alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid GPU cooling/alternatives?

Hey folks, first post here. New to watercooling (and actually, this is my first complete pc build in a very, very long time). Specs will be at the bottom.

I've started putting together a gaming pc and it seems there are no waterblocks designed for my card. (My mistake-- should have done my homework better.) I'm having a hard time swallowing the cost of a CPU-only custom loop, so I was thinking of going the hybrid route. Only catch is, I absolutely hate the way the various hybrid adapters (NZXT, etc) look, so I was thinking about attempting to utilize the stock fan assembly on my card.

My idea:
    -install cpu block on gpu
    -add heatsinks over VRM/anywhere else necessary
    -reinstall the stock fans (I have plenty of tools in my workshop to fabricate spacers, if necessary)
    -plumb in the cpu block either from the side (if clearance allows) or by removing one of the fans

In my head, it seems reasonable and entirely manageable, but I'm sure there are potential issues I'm unaware of, such as GPUs not playing nice if one of three fans is removed, for example. I'd also be open to completely scrapping the idea for something better. The other option I've considered is just running stock for awhile, as I don't necessarily need an overclock for most of my workload (photo/video/audio editing). It's just fun and shiny.

The build:
    Thermaltake P3 Core
    Ryzen 5 3600x
    Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700 XT
    Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro WIFI
    2x8GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX
    Crucial 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
    Corsair RMX 750 Watt

If anything else, maybe I just need a sanity check! Thanks

You can't install a CPU block on a GPU but you can get a Universal GPU block
    When I look a pictures of your GPU you would lose 2 of the 3 cooling fans due to position of the GPU on the PCB. Probably not worth butchering the stock heat sink.

1st rule of water cooling, buy both block and GPU at same time. Have a friend help check you got a proper match as it's easy to get screwed over with all the PCB changes between revisions.

Welcome to the community .
    Looks like a nice bit of kit.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Typical of me to break the first rule before I've even begun, haha.

Good to know there's a distinction between universal GPU blocks and CPU blocks. A lot of them look nearly identical to the uninitiated. Thanks!

Comment

Welcome to the community!

I'm not really sure i understand why you are complicating things like that. You say there is no waterblock for your graphic card if i'm right?
        Actually there is a couple. i know for sure there is one from ekwb and another from Corsair. Pretty sure there are more than thèse two. Havent searched more.

Sorry im french so sometimes i have troubles to understand clearly.

What are the reasons your not going for a full cover? Money or you dont know what to look for? If so, we can help you find what would be the best suited for your build.

Comment

There are waterblocks for the reference models and various other custom 5700XTs, but not for the Aorus model, unfortunately. If I'm mistaken, I'd be thrilled but the EKWB compatibility service brings up nothing, as well as all the other manufactuers I've tried. Even checking Barrow and going through the compatibility lists of every 5700xt waterblock they sell garnered no results.

Comment

Yeah. You are right. I didnt read carefully the info on their website. On corsair it said yes but after waiting a bit longer, the page finished loading at 100% and updated to not compatible but you're better starting with stock cooler until someone release à full cover.
            unless you absolutely want to go for universal waterblock i think it would be to much work for not so much gain from it. And aestheticly meh.. It's just a personnal opinion tough.

Comment

It's kind of where I'm leaning. I had it in my head that some sort of frankenstein rig would look great, but I think maybe that's something best left for when I have more experience with watercooling and a spare video card laying around to experiment with haha.

I appreciate the sanity check, guys.

Comment

Dont be affraid to share some pictures of your build once it is completed!

Comment

Working...
                X