Question about pre-sleeved cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about pre-sleeved cables

Hiya! I'm currently in the process of putting together my first build, and decided to go for custom PSU cables. After some reasearch, I had opted to buy a bunch of the pre-sleeved F-F cabled and some connectors, hoping to save some money over purchasing a full set. I've run into a bit of a blocker as I just noticed that some of the cables on the pinout (Corsair type 3) are split cables.

My question is, does anyone have experience with using pre-sleeved cables and know if there's a way to form the connections needed without having to cut/solder the wires together?

Thanks!

Not clear what you mean by split cables?
    Are these GPU cables?
    What is Corsair Type 3?

How many pins are on the connection at the PSU
    Last edited by Hooded; 11-05-2020, 10:30 PM.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

My PSU is the Corsair HX1000i, with this pinout:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU_Pinout_-_Corsair_Type_3.png?v=1578982284.png
Views:	80
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	92250

To clarify my question, the pre-sleeved F-F cables do not split, but cable 13 on the Motherboard cable and 8 on the GPU split. Since the cables are pre-sleeved and crimped already, stripping and re-soldering them would damage the sleeving. So i'm wondering if there are any alternative ways to form these connections.

Comment

So if you un-pin the cables from the connectors you can re-sleeve them as single cables.
        The easiest way to have custom cables is just to buy cable extensions so you don't need to fus with the cables that came with your PSU.
        Or you can make custom coloured extensions buy buying pre-sleeved cables and connectors for them.
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Nope, there's no easy way to do it. You have to connect those 2 together to make one cable at the other end. You can use shrink tubes to hide the cable where it splits.

Comment

Something I have done in the past is remove the split cable that came with the PSU from it’s harness. In your case this is wire #13. Remove the sleeving from the two pre-sleeved wires that would be used for wires #13 and #20 and use the sleeving on the original wire. You still may have to adjust the length of the original wire if it’s length is not correct. As Danny said you are going to have to heat shrink the joint. Haven’t bought a PSU in years so don’t know how goofy the split cables are on the new ones. Maybe you can post a photo of the original cables. Hope I understood your question.
            The SLOB : A 3570K Build
            Down & Out : A 2600K Build
            V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

Working...
            X