Swapping coolants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping coolants

Can anyone tell me if I need to use anything else other than distilled water to flush out a loop when going from brand to brand? (like alcohol or vinegar)
    Thanks

A 1part vinegar to 8 parts distilled, then a final flush with just distilled is most likely what I would do.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

I like to use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and tap water, let it sit for a little while (hour). Then pour out a little bit, cap the holes and shake it well for a minute or two. Drain it and then put it in the kitchen sink to flush it by directing the water flow from the faucet into one port and allowing it to go out the other side. Do that for ten minutes and then give it a good rinse with the distilled water, should be good to go then.
      3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

I just connect tap water and ran it for 5 min trough. Then flash with distilled.
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

With new parts I'll often mix in a bit of vinegear to flush. But if simply just flushing out coolant unless there are signs of an issue such as mold etc just flush thoroughly with tap water and chase with distilled as Daz already mentioned.
          Corsair 800D
          2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
          Software Developer

Comment

I bought a inline filter

and have a spare pump/res

juste creat a loop outside of the case with the filter and fill with distilled water (really cheap) and let run for 24 hours

and check the filter for any debris

all rad have a lot of debris, just clean and redo until no debris un filter

but Darkside RAD are exceptional, absolutely no debris after 36 or 48 hours and regular shaking process just to be sure
            they are very clean out of the factory

Comment

Good ideas but if you have previously used dye in your loops I think you must use an acid like vinegar to make sure it gets rid of all the previous colour or it might contaminate the next coolant being used. You wouldn't want some old yellow dye mixing with a new blue dye or a new green colour would be created eg.
              3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Good point about killing old color, simple flash won't cut it.
                Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                Venom Build: Build Log,
                Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                Orange Build: Final Video
                HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Thx Big Boss ! You're the best !!!

Comment

what about this stuff? good or bad idea?

HAF932 Mods
                    C70 Mods

Comment

That's my weapon of choice ! But diluted about 10 water to 1 ratio of CLR. Good stuff, but as all acids don't leave it in more than an hour or two.

Comment

Working...
                      X