No announcement yet.

x86: Blue Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally I planned to use both the backplate and motherboard tray from the mini C, since they looked great and fit perfectly together with the expansion slots at the correct height for the mobo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cx5SU1s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	89000

But now that I have the case apart, it is obvious that vertical space is at such a premium that there is no room for the tray. I mean, I could mount it underneath and cut a hole in the bottom of the PC case to expose the standoffs, but that would be silly. Instead, I'll drill and tap holes for the mobo standoffs in the original PC case bottom, with some slots for the bottom of the expansion slot covers.

Here is the back of the mini C set into place against the back of the PC case, with the part that I intend to keep outlined in red.

Click image for larger version  Name:	xOolBVP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.0 KB ID:	89002

I am mulling over whether to attach it from the back, or set it inside the case. There is an area at the bottom right that would get cut if I came in from the back, so I may do the latter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	h0bVi4c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	89003

Here is the view from the other side. Mounting on this side should work if I trim away the bit circled in blue to allow space for the mini C expansion slot section.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CXOVaBG.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	89004

Of course, I'll have to trim the flange off the back of the old case, basically just leaving a strip around the perimeter to mount the new stuff on.

Comment

I must be honest, i would be tempted to just screw a few motherboard standoffs straight into the bottom of the case.

Comment

I did say that's what I decided to do. Second paragraph of last post

"I'll drill and tap holes for the mobo standoffs in the original PC case bottom"

At least, that's what I was trying to say!

When I was hinge hunting the other day, I came across these cabinet knobs. I'm going to pick up 4 and use them for case feet

Click image for larger version

Name:	eNEiFdG.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	89024
        Last edited by Grinder; 11-11-2019, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Nifty! I'm starting to worry about whether or not i'll be able to get my case feet done on time.

Comment

I'm starting to worry about all the modding I have left to do! Plus I usually paint outside, and it is either too wet or too cold most days...

Also, I am having trouble posting pics the last couple of days. I suspect one of my pics is too big or corrupt. When I try, it fails and I can't connect for a day . Oddly I can still post by phone, but that isn't a practical option since my cell signal sucks at home.

Stay tuned!

To make the bottom of the backplate thin enough without sacrificing too much strength, I decided to fold the metal. It's made up of two pieces. The first one wasn't too bad using a combination of pliers and a vise to fold an existing flange:

Name:	B21cMei.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	89075​​​​​​​
            Last edited by Grinder; 11-14-2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

It was a huge pain to bend the other piece on a thin strip of metal adjacent to another flange without messing it up! I used my workbench to wedge a flat bar from a clamp in next to the flange on the strip. Once I got it started I was able to finish it with the vise.

Name:	fszsHle.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	89077

Name:	KS4P3vN.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	89078

Comment

Here it is after bending and trimming. I'll have to sand and paint, but I pretty much got the shape I was after. I've notched the bottom of the case and set it in place to test fit it. Still have to trim the back of the original case.

Name:	OdJxirU.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	89080

Comment

Drilled and tapped the bottom of the case for the standoffs, plus cut out the back of the case leaving a border around the edge.

Name:	WzzJoxI.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	89088

Name:	fgoP48Q.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	89089

Here is a test fitting of the mobo:

Name:	kKAbzGe.jpg
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	89090

Comment

Hey about getting disconnected when trying to post and loosing access for a day, shoot Daz an email about it with screenshots if you can, I’ve not been able to connect or post with any of my computers in my office for 3 or so days now. Currently working with Daz to hopefully resolve the problem.

wish I had seen your post with the door handles earlier, I needed something like that but ended up buying a 1foot length of 1” diameter acrylic rod to cut off an 18mm chunk lol.

anyway the build is looking awesome! I’m in the same boat with a ton of work left to do and not sure if it will be 100% by the cutoff.

Comment

Originally posted by dknourek View Post
                      Hey about getting disconnected when trying to post and loosing access for a day, shoot Daz an email about it with screenshots if you can, I’ve not been able to connect or post with any of my computers in my office for 3 or so days now. Currently working with Daz to hopefully resolve the problem.

wish I had seen your post with the door handles earlier, I needed something like that but ended up buying a 1foot length of 1” diameter acrylic rod to cut off an 18mm chunk lol.

anyway the build is looking awesome! I’m in the same boat with a ton of work left to do and not sure if it will be 100% by the cutoff.
                      I saw in your build thread where you guys had worked out the problem. Also saw that you left me a visitor message kindly offering me some acrylic rod, but as I said there I have so much to do that I think I'll stick with the knobs. Thanks though! I actually had to run out and pic up a 5th knob. Given where I am mounting the rad and fan in the right rear of the case bottom, I can't put a case foot in the corner. So I'll put two, one on either side of the fan (mounting it underneath the case). Once I get the cutout made in the case I'll post pics.

I'm currently working on the back of the case, as the piece I cut out of the mini C back doesn't fill the whole space or allow for the PSU mount. I'm using a piece of sheet metal from the bottom of last years sacrificial donor case that went into the BTX to ATX conversion for MODELL. It has a nice little fold in it that helps me fit it in, and a flange at the bottom for reinforcement. Pics later today hopefully.

Comment

This piece was a pain to do by hand, by feel, and get everything to fit! Still some touching up to do. I had to ditch the flange, but the little bend on one end helps it to mate with the other piece. The "An" visible on the right side once said "Antec"

Name:	ZekTlWD.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	89152

And I made the cutout for the bottom rad:

Name:	sIvs0YY.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	89153

And test fitting both back pieces:

Name:	NmuRr3O.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	89154

Comment

Still have to make some adjustments, rivet it together, and paint. But it's starting to come together! The PSU trim piece does a nice job of cleaning up the look.

Name:	iNRWIEH.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	89160

Name:	fn5glxI.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	89161

Name:	mTFUPF5.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	89162​​​​​​​

Comment

Cant wait to see this all done! Gonna be such a tight squeeze heh

Comment

I used my step drill bit to create a pass through for the control panel cables at the front of the case, touching it up with the dremel afterwards.

Name:	RCG3FUy.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	89193

Name:	uUUXqJe.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	89194

Comment

Originally posted by Kaidis86 View Post
                                Cant wait to see this all done! Gonna be such a tight squeeze heh
                                You and me both! Tight squeeze and tight on time...

Comment

Working...
                                X