No announcement yet.

x86: Blue Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also needed to ventilate the front left of the case as there will be a rad there. Since the step drill bit is a little worn, I started with pilot holes, then a couple of larger bits before using the step.

Click image for larger version

Name:	90wVMNb.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	89197

Name:	kTuMB2u.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	89198

Comment

Running out of time fast. Wish I hadn't gone to PEI for 4 days earlier this month, but I had a family obligation. Couldn't leave mom hanging! I'll keep at it and get as much done as I can.

I primed some pieces:

Name:	6cggqFI.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	89256

Name:	ecTog89.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	89257

Comment

This cutout was a pain. It's plastic, can't really dremel without it getting melty. So I took the blade out of a hacksaw and used that for most of the work. Also drilled the radius for the corners, and touch up with a file and sandpaper.

Name:	AlCSFTy.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	89259

Name:	EwmNwd4.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	89260

Comment

I prepped and painted the rads and front bezel. The XSPC rad in particular had some dings and some kind of adhesive stuck to it (bought used for a good price). After cleaning up with acetone and sandpaper, the Rustoleum metallic dark steel made a huge improvement. No more beige box!

Click image for larger version  Name:	O7MPFMA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.8 KB ID:	89262

Click image for larger version  Name:	VFnNIYv.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.4 KB ID:	89263

Click image for larger version  Name:	nWIhqaI.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	89264
          Last edited by Grinder; 11-23-2019, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I am using piano hinge for the doors. I've cut it to length and enlarged the holes (my fasteners were just a smidge bigger than the holes). I bought a piece of aluminum flat bar for the area where the hinges attach between the doors. It has been cut to length and drilled, plus I used it as a template to drill holes in the case cover where it will attach.

Name:	AIE8IzR.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	89283

Name:	TVDjTnX.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	89284

Comment

Looking good! Cant wait to see this in action!!

Comment

I'm not sure that will happen today But I'll do the best I can!

I riveted the base of the case together, installed the standoffs, and drilled/installed the case feet.

Name:	DjVRNDr.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	89320

This is the front of an ancient floppy drive. I've removed it and cut away everything to leave just this thin plate, plus opened it up to breath better. It will be a stealth air intake for the front rad.

Name:	QxKJh02.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	89321

Name:	e4JVNuy.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	89323

Name:	VnB4ZXg.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	89322

Comment

Primed with self etching primer (the part is aluminum) and painted the center hinge support, plus fabbed and painted some GPU supports.

Name:	XPD8rlc.jpg
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	89328

Name:	g8Xu8Lg.jpg
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	89329

Name:	2TiCZen.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	89330

Comment

If I had wings I could fly!

So close and yet so far. I gave it my best shot, but those 4 days away really left me without enough time. Next year I'll have to follow Daz's advice from last year. Start early!

I got all the major mods done except the doors themselves. Hinges and support turned out great, And yes, I used an angle grinder cut the pieces out of the shell! I love the colours and the control panel mod, the stealth intake. I'm surprised everything fit! Even the gas struts would have worked out

Anyway, here are a few pics!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Zi9Qz7N.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	89341

Click image for larger version  Name:	jkBBPOe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	89342

Click image for larger version  Name:	bG8gWJf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.5 KB ID:	89343

Click image for larger version  Name:	EbDZsFI.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	89344

Click image for larger version  Name:	RHjpK21.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	89345
                    Last edited by Grinder; 11-25-2019, 03:59 AM.

Comment

All that and no blue water lol.

Left on my to do list are the wings, they start from the side and curve around to the top, an inch and 3/4 border and the rest acrylic, with a gas strut to raise and hold them up. Aside from that, just the loop (yes, with blue water) and cables (black and blue with clear combs), and install a couple of components. Lighting will be simple, just white LEDs embedded in the GPU block, reservoir, CPU block, and a few discretely placed around the case. It's tempting to put some in the acrylic feet!

Comment

Grinder It was a very ambitious project, And I look forward to seeing it completed.
                        On the bright side, you entered and had something to show for it.
                        Atleast 10 people who said they were going to join didnt even bother to sign up.

Comment

Despite the complexity, everything was falling into place according to plan. While a little of the time I spent away would have allowed me to finish, it was for a good cause (taking mom to medical appointments) and family comes first. Speaking of family, I have to thank my wife for putting up with me being a whirling dervish of metal shavings and paint fumes for the last little while!

Tpbmods We would do this without any contest, guess those folks aren't true modders! Speaking of which, I hope to see you back here next year! It'll take me a bit to find the time to finish the doors, as I have been neglecting other stuff in my push to get this done (never surrender!). But I will definitely finish! Wish you were here to take action shots of me creating the large cutouts in the case shroud with an angle grinder at dusk. Very dramatic! Kinda looking forward to trying my new heat gun to bend the acrylic for the windows. Any tips for me from when you attempted that for your fiance's build?

Comment

Ah man, sorry to hear. It really does look like a great build. But as mentioned, we do this for the fun and challenge, not because of the competition, that's just some icing on the cake.
                            I 100% am looking forward to the completion of this case as it really looks great so far.
                            The "wings" are going to be epic once mounted.
                            Great painting job too.

Comment

Shitty deal that you couldn't get this done, but I know that feeling lol.

Can't wait to see the finished product still!

Comment

Grinder my tip for bending acrylic is to make sure you very evenly spread the heat on both sides, keep the heat where you want the bend otherwise youll get a huge radius.
                                Also, I would love to be here next year, but unless the competition opens up to a more OPEN or masters style comp, I wont be able to join the Amateurs

Comment

Working...
                                X