Laptop service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop service

So I got this biffed Dell. Client wanted a new DVD installed.
    So I spent the better part of an hour performing this function...

video is long and lame, but you get the point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KVUi35ea9I

question is, how much should I charge for this job?
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

I would want a min of $50 bucks if I spent an hour doing it.
    I figure it would cost double that at a store. Just guessing though.
    I've never had a store or repair shop fix anything for me just heard the horror stories.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Yeah I think $50 sounds fair, I've ripped apart some of those Dell laptops which is a pain in the @$$.

Comment

I agree 50 is a good number and a deal for the customer
        boy you really have to take alot apart to change the drive
        Last edited by Father Fuzzy; 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

no kidding eh FF... cause its a stealth drive... all fancy.

anyways, job is done... took just under an hour, actually a good challenge for me,
          but the video how-to makes all the difference.

but thanks for advice... I told the lady I would do it for free this time.
          but as soon as she wants to upgrade from Vista,
          I would have to start billing.
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

I have only taken a computer to someone else 2-3 times that I can ever recall, sometimes there is just too much going on at the office for me to handle everything. If I remember right the typical fees are something like minimum fees are somewhere around $45 diagnostics fee and $55/h labor on top of that.
            Corsair 800D
            2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
            Software Developer

Comment

forgot to read the (cough) standards...

http://www.canadacomputers.com/service_centre.php
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

Good find.. Anything with laptop is $100 per h
                Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                Venom Build: Build Log,
                Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                Orange Build: Final Video
                HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                  So I got this biffed Dell. Client wanted a new DVD installed.
                  So I spent the better part of an hour performing this function...

video is long and lame, but you get the point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KVUi35ea9I

question is, how much should I charge for this job?
                  50 sounds reasonable.
                  Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
                  Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

I do this for family and friends all the time and I get them to pay me $30 and a 12 pack. I usually repaste the gpu and cpu, get the dust out of the heatsinks/fan and wipe and reinstall Windows. Mind you this is for family and friends(not often), and not someone I don't know.

If you feel $50 for your time and effort is fair, that's up to you.

Sometimes you hit a snag with something and it takes awhile to troubleshoot.

Just don't forget to plug the fans back in, you will want to shoot yourself if you get it all tightened back up and the fan isn't moving.
                    Asus Z170 VIII Hero | i7 6700K | G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 2800 | 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 | Samsung 850 Evo 500 | CorsairAX1200 | Silverstone TJ11 | Caselab Pedestal | GTX 780 Lightning SLI
                    EK Supremacy CPU | RX480 + RX240 | MCP35X2-W | BP Z-Multi 250 | AP15's | BP Fittings | Distilled + Silver |

Comment

Originally posted by canada2005 View Post
                      I do this for family and friends all the time and I get them to pay me $30 and a 12 pack. I usually repaste the gpu and cpu, get the dust out of the heatsinks/fan and wipe and reinstall Windows. Mind you this is for family and friends(not often), and not someone I don't know.

If you feel $50 for your time and effort is fair, that's up to you.

Sometimes you hit a snag with something and it takes awhile to troubleshoot.

Just don't forget to plug the fans back in, you will want to shoot yourself if you get it all tightened back up and the fan isn't moving.
                      +9000
                      The number of times i've done this.
                      50$ is reasonable - however very subjective as canada2005 said entirely up to you.
                      Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
                      Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

Working...
                      X