Vega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vega

Will it seems so far it is not looking too good for vega comparing it too nvidia. They are predicting between 1070 and 1080 level for the r9, using the frontier edition as an example of the silicon. Was hoping for more myself.

Guess a ti maybe in order on my amd rig. Plus the fact that miners are going to make this another release that is not going to be able to get for 6 months or more after release.
    Last edited by nass; 07-02-2017, 12:28 PM.
    Blackout
    Something-New
    Sma8-Caselabs

Need to see the price tag on them to make a proper judgement.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Pricing they are saying should be good.
      Blackout
      Something-New
      Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

IMO Vega is going to do better than a 1080. Right now we are seeing very rough drivers and it is also my opinion that this card is more like one of the professional 'firepro' cards. I think the silicon is the same but the board is engineered for the types of apps that professionals use. Quote from a cople different articles:
        In the given time we had to run tests, we saw the Frontier Edition outscore the Titan Xp by 28 percent in Catia and Creo to 50 percent in SolidWorks. We also ran Maxon’s Cinebench, a popular OpenGL benchmark, in which the Frontier Edition was about 14 percent faster. The numbers echo what we already knew about the Frontier Edition, but this time we could see the performance demonstrations live.
        To me this could mean a couple things. The open GL performance on the R9 290 was also higher than competing Nvidia cards at launch, but originally under performed in games. With time and driver maturity the 290 is now ahead of many of its old competitors. I believe that this optimization will occur much more quickly this time around because Vega hopefully wont flop as bad as the R9 290.

Also the fact that they have some benchmarks scoring way ahead of the Titan Xp indicates that they have indeed made some changes to the board to get throughput up on certain operations. I believe Vega Frontier is optimized for half-precision floating point math, which games do not use but some professional programs do.

In short they have not done what Nvidia has done and just take their most powerful 'gaming' card and slapped a $1200 price tag on it and called it 'for professionals,' I think they have actually made a custom graphics card that does better at what it is supposed to be used for.

And lastly, just something that I have experienced recently, is that higher FPS does not equate to a better gaming experience. This is more of a cpu thing, but frame latency is starting to mean more than FPS. My i5 6600k got more FPS in GTA5 than my 1700x, but the 1700x does it much more smoothly with less frame spikes. So there will probably be more to this story than we think. Just want to keep everyone's minds open about Vega, because we just don't know at this point.
        My Imgur

Comment

Originally posted by nass View Post
          Plus the fact that miners are going to make this another release that is not going to be able to get for 6 months or more after release.
          I really hope not, I had heard that some resellers are going to limit the number purchased per customer to 2 so that miners don't buy them all up. But its all anyone's guess what will happen.

Don't buy anything till vega's release though, if anything the 1080ti will at least have its price decreased.
          *grumble* $1000 for a gpu *grumble*
          My Imgur

Comment

Vega will be a bust I'm betting. Somewhere between 1070 and 1080 performance. Pretty sure Nvidia knows this too, which is why you haven't seen price drops on the 1080TI's. Vega will not be competitive with the top tier. AMD screwed up.

Comment

Am hoping your right Necro but am in no hurry so will wait to see.
              Blackout
              Something-New
              Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

As long as it pushes 4k 60 fps I don't think it matters unless your eyeballing 5k. Look at intel. They didn't drop prices either even after Ryzen dropped, but they lowered next gen CPU's instead. Nvidia might do the same thing by lowering the price of their Volta series. Hard to say. Everything is so secret. AMD being quiet. The Workstation cards don't seem to do so well for games too.

I'm actually considering buying a $300 RX 570 to mine ethereum on that old computer downstairs. I didn't know how I would be able to cash in 3 years ago but now there's a Bitcoin Vending machine at the mall. They worth almost $4000. Back then they were $1000. I kinda want in now since power bills aren't an issue

Comment

I don't think the drivers for "Gaming mode" on the FE have even been developed... am I wrong?

Comment

Just remember.....

Ryzen had a dearth of motherboards, and the motherboards that came out were in poor quality in terms of BIOS because the manufacturers didn't believe RyZen was going to be as good as what it was, and were too busy concentrating on Z270 junk. Not that I have a problem with Z270, etc.... but look at Intel, they are in disarray and are getting attacked on all fronts by a company that could barely afford R&D for a new CPU architecture. And Ryzen keeps getting better and better through BIOS updates and RAM speed related improvements, and that's only 3 months after release. Some missteps were AMD's, but I'd say 50/50 in this case.

NVidia has put a crap tonne of cards out since 1070/1080 (1080Ti, Titan X Pascal, Titan XP) to ensure they get your money before Vega comes out. Raj Koduri has said that Vega is a from-the-ground-up architecture that requires a complete re-write of the drivers. I have a feeling the performance will be "different" than what we're used to, and it will have its strengths and weaknesses. Alternatively, look at all cards since the 7970 and their advancements in performance due to just driver refinements. Unfortunately, if initial drivers on Vega are lacking I'm sure the tech reviewers will rake them over the coals. In fact AMD already knows this. I'm thinking it will be 1080+ performance, and if it's not faster, it will be priced appropriately. I think they learned from their Fury debacle, where it really was $100.00 USD too expensive on release.

The big issue with it is HBM2. Even SK Hynix, the company that integrates HBM into Fury/Fury X/Nano (and now Vega) have GDDR6 coming out. SKYMTL has been saying this over on HWC for over a year, and I agree, he's likely right. HBM2 should be reserved for pro-level cards where budget is less of a barrier. nVidia does use it but only on high-end Quadro series cards, where profit margins are pretty big.

I'm 90% sure this is why Vega has no true hard release date. I heard early July, and July 18th, but we'll see. I'm sure it will be a paper launch.

I have an RX 470, RX 580, and two R9 Nanos, so I'm trying to figure out what to keep and what to sell. Decisions decisions. Then this mining thing looks really good on the RX series. Ugh.
                    DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Sell those 2 rx to the minners and get what ya want later
                      Last edited by nass; 07-08-2017, 11:55 PM.
                      Blackout
                      Something-New
                      Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Christ I could easily get some serious coin for those RX cards and get another 1080 lol

Kijiji has people offering $500.00 for RX 480/580 cards. WTF.

I just watched a video by Adored TV and I think Vega RX will be around 90% as fast as a 1080. I think the good thing is that it will be cheap. I think the bad thing is that it will likely run hot and consume a lot of power.

But he did mention that while it seems all the Vega features are enabled in the drivers they have tested on, it doesn't seem to be borne out in performance, so we'll see.

I can wait.
                        DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Haha, yeah 10e I have a few AMD cards around here and trying to prune as well. 290x lightning, 295x2, rx 480 and 2x r9 furys. With the price seemingly so high on the 480/580 right now I might be able to cash in my 480 for as much or more than I paid for it new. (300) But it's also my only air cooled card right now!

And I agree about Vega. I have that video by Adored qued up right now but already what I am thinking is probably similar to 1080 at launch (win some/lose some) but over time with drivers there will be improvements. Looks like they are taking their time though so hopefully it will be decent at launch.
                          My Imgur

Comment

This makes me glad that I went for the 1080ti instead of waiting around for Vega.

Comment

All those AMD card just lying around Why don't you guys set up a rack and start mining lite coin or dark coin or ethereum? The mining flare up 3 yrs ago caused me to go Nvidia. I couldn't get a hold of ANY 280x/290 without paying too much. De Ja Vu all over again. Now Nvidia's prices have crept up again too probably for the same reason. I shoulda grabbed that Zotac AMP! 1080 ti for $700 new when I had the chance. I just didn't like having only one choice for block.

Comment

Working...
                              X