X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of Those Days

Yep having one of those days.

Get up 4:45am get ready for work.
    5:15 head out to find my vans won't start. no click no turn over just silence.
    mess around in the drizzle for 30 min tring to make it at least make some noise. Nope. So I plug in battery charger. After an hour still no go.
    Tow to mechanics 7:30
    10:30 just got the call from mechanic. It's a shattered battery cable. This is something I've never heard of. Say's I'll get my van back around 1 or 2.

Call the job see if I can switch to night shift so not to loose a day.
    I'm hoping to hear back soon if I can or not. It's been long enough I'm getting the NOT feeling.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

"Shattered" battery cable?!?! That's a new one for me too! How does a cable shatter?

Comment

He tells me that over time they become brittle and can shatter.
      I've never heard of this.
      He says it's common on Asian cars.
      He also said it is very strange to see on a Ford Van!

I guess Ford got a cheap batch in when they built my van.
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Sorry to hear about your hassle Hooded...I've worked on some trucks when after taking off the battery cover to boost and grab the cables to wiggle and make sure they are tight I've had then break right off. Corrosion had eaten through the cable and they just break off. Shatter is kinda the wrong term he used but close enough I guess.
        CL SM8|Asus Sabertooth Z87|i7 4770K|16GB Corsair Veng|Kingston HyperX|Seagate Barra|Corsair AX850|EVGA GTX670 SLI
        XSPC Blocks, Bits Dual Pump Top and Tube Res|Dual D5|RX480 with Logisy and Deep Cool in P/P|Bits and TFC Fittings and XSPC Tube|Distilled with DazM Protector

Comment

Yes, vapour from charging battery leaves a deposit of sulfuric acid on the cable and slowly dissolves it. Should clean terminals and connections with a baking soda solution once a year and clean and grease connections after.
          3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Never heard of that before Hoody

sounds like a frustrating morning

good tip gdesmo

Comment

No fun when cars broke...
              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
              Venom Build: Build Log,
              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
              Orange Build: Final Video
              HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment