A Good Read (Windows 8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good Read (Windows 8)

Saw this article while reading through various emails this evening http://mollyrocket.com/casey/index.html

Why the closed distribution model of Windows 8 must be changed for the sake of developers, consumers, and Microsoft itself.

" For the first time in the history of the PC, Microsoft is rolling out a new Windows ecosystem for which they will be the sole software distributor. If you buy Windows 8, the only place you will be able to download software that integrates with its new user interface will be the official Windows Store. Microsoft will have complete control over what software will be allowed there. "

Bad for game developers, bad for gamers...
    AsRock Extreme6 Z97, Intel i5 4690K 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3, EVGA GTX 1070, ASUS Strix Raid Pro soundcard, Corsair HX850i, 256 GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 500 GB Crucial MX100 (Gaming) SSD, custom water-cooled Corsair Air 540, MSI AG32C LED monitor, Insignia 32 " LED TV, Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Forget about Windows8...

and this whole windows store is going to be bunk.
    not offering any "M" rated games = good news for Steam.

any enthusiast/gamer is going to stick to Win7 - its actually not broke.
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

Comment

Yes any desktop power user will stay with windows 7

Windows 8 just doesn't feel good on a desktop.

I've had several versions of Win 8 installed in virtual machines on my Win 2008r2 servers and haven't liked it one bit.

I am predicting that win 8 will come off at best like the poor Vista release if not more like the PITA that ME was.

I've been using MS OS's since 1989 when I was messing with 8088's ans DOS 4. Windows 8 is like the start of my switch over to Linux for my LAN if they don't make some drastic changes.

I think MS will see the light after the release sinks.
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

I remember DOS! Seems like a life time ago when I was playing with my 486 with Windows 3.1! The sad thing is I still have that computer!
        Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

Originally posted by scaccima View Post
          I remember DOS! Seems like a life time ago when I was playing with my 486 with Windows 3.1! The sad thing is I still have that computer!
          all it needed to do really was run DOOM
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

Can't agree more. I guarantee barrage of bug fixes after release. Microsoft has long history of using sold/released products as Beta and making early adopters to work as free Beta testers.
            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
            Venom Build: Build Log,
            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
            Orange Build: Final Video
            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Being that software development is what put the numbers on my paychecks, I'll tell you one thing after reading a good portion of that article parts of it do scare me. However I see this going the way of jailbreaks and roots like with the current generation of phones.
              Corsair 800D
              2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
              Software Developer

Comment

.... and here I was thinking M$ wanted to keep it all to themselves.
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                  all it needed to do really was run DOOM
                  ... and Duke Nukem!
                  Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

Just after reading (posting) the article here; I came across an editorial that's related, http://www.neowin.net/news/editorial-microsofts-left-hand--please-meet-right-hand

" Perhaps the biggest problem with Microsoft's newest decision is the fact that, under their own rules, they won't be able to release any of their own Gears of War games on the Windows Store. While just the first game in Epic's massively successful shooter series was ever ported to the PC, this new Windows Store decision effectively crushes any incentive to bring the other two games to Windows 8. "

"
                    Game developers who want to make titles that have PEGI 18 ratings should ask Microsoft this question, "If you can release games like this on your own publishing label, why won't you let us do the same for Windows 8 and the Windows Store." It's a question that Microsoft, we suspect, might have a hard time answering. "
                    AsRock Extreme6 Z97, Intel i5 4690K 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3, EVGA GTX 1070, ASUS Strix Raid Pro soundcard, Corsair HX850i, 256 GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 500 GB Crucial MX100 (Gaming) SSD, custom water-cooled Corsair Air 540, MSI AG32C LED monitor, Insignia 32 " LED TV, Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Comment

Working...
                    X