Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it look like screws were over tightened or material problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it look like screws were over tightened or material problem?

I'm having EK rejecting RMA for this kind of damage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140603_064432.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	79502

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140603_064640.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	79503

EK says it is overtightening screws (user fault), but it looks for me that either hole was too small or screw too big.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Looks to me like the thread is too tight and is slightly expanded as the screw is inserted. Big problem with plastic if they don't make the thread a loose fit as the plastic is very brittle and does not like to be forced apart.
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

wow, seriously

yes, look like thread too tight
      instead of replacing the whole block, maybe order only the plastic parts

I have difficulty with big companies like that , they don't take time to analyze and have the RMA reject very easy
      Asus is one of them and EK join the group

Comment

thats another QA fail at EK... damn.
        HAF932 Mods
        C70 Mods

Comment

Sorry guys but I disagree here. I can't see the picture well enough to say that the screws were not over tightened. It's plastic. That looks like the part to switch from standard link to a bridge, so it already had a piece bolted to it from EK.

Then the customer has gone to change the link to a bridge at which time the damage happened. That's over tightening or cross threading. Not EK's fault IMHO. If the damage was there before he tried to mount the bridge then it's EK's fault. I would think you would see that damage before removing the link part or even opening the plastic the block comes sealed in.
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Holes need to be re-tapped and the screws run through a matching die. Most of the fracture points can be repaired with some MEK solvent cement that will fill in most of the hairline cracks and fuse it back together again. This is a fail on EK's part as far as I am concerned and they should at least send out the tops for the blocks. Also should remedy their quality control a bit better.
            3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
              Sorry guys but I disagree here. I can't see the picture well enough to say that the screws were not over tightened. It's plastic. That looks like the part to switch from standard link to a bridge, so it already had a piece bolted to it from EK.

Then the customer has gone to change the link to a bridge at which time the damage happened. That's over tightening or cross threading. Not EK's fault IMHO. If the damage was there before he tried to mount the bridge then it's EK's fault. I would think you would see that damage before removing the link part or even opening the plastic the block comes sealed in.
              Good point Hooded, hard to tell the exact situation. Possible when installed with the link something shifted and stressed that area. Regardless though, I believe the plastic to be a little on the thin-side at that point and will not allow for any stress. Coupled with a possible tight thread is a fail waiting to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
                Holes need to be re-tapped and the screws run through a matching die. Most of the fracture points can be repaired with some MEK solvent cement that will fill in most of the hairline cracks and fuse it back together again. This is a fail on EK's part as far as I am concerned and they should at least send out the tops for the blocks. Also should remedy their quality control a bit better.
                The bolt holes for a change from a link to a bridge should not require re-tapping. They are the same bolts re-used from link to mount the bridge.

Comment

Should be fine then, must have been moved or over-tightened then. But customers will never admit to that sort of thing for sure.

Comment

I was under impression that different set of screws is used when multi-block terminal is used.
                    Last edited by DazMode; 07-03-2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
                      G. i'm really interested in that MEK solvent cement. If have 2 EK blocks for GTX770 here that I cracked when trying to install a dual bridge back in october. The damage is less than what you see on Daz's pictures above. If you say that this stuff could bring back to life the blocks it might be interesting!

Can you give me a bit more info on this product?
                      Luc

Orchid (Corsair-Crystal-570X)
                      Silent Watcher (be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900)
                      Eclipse (Parvum L1.0)
                      Northern Lights (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe)
                      Lady Sif (EK-Vulture)
                      Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)

Comment

Check out this part of install.
                        EK-FC Terminal Install
                        Step 4 #4
                        Originally posted by Install Manual"
                        Secure the EK-FC Terminal interconnect with M4x28 DIN7984 Screws (comes with EK-FC water block) using the enclosed Allen (hex) key 2.5mm!
                        Also notice the large warning in bottom left corner of Step 4
                        Last edited by Hooded; 07-03-2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

RTFM!

Thanks Hooded.

Comment

Originally posted by Akira749 View Post
                            G. i'm really interested in that MEK solvent cement. If have 2 EK blocks for GTX770 here that I cracked when trying to install a dual bridge back in october. The damage is less than what you see on Daz's pictures above. If you say that this stuff could bring back to life the blocks it might be interesting!

Can you give me a bit more info on this product?
                            Here's what you would need in the 2 pictures, you would also need a tap to clean up the threads. Or you could send them to me and I could do my best for you on the repair. Would only cost you the shipping and that's it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9570.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	76205Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9569.jpg
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	76206

Comment

I will took pictures of the small damage tonight to show it to you so you can tell me if it's doable
                              Luc

Orchid (Corsair-Crystal-570X)
                              Silent Watcher (be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900)
                              Eclipse (Parvum L1.0)
                              Northern Lights (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe)
                              Lady Sif (EK-Vulture)
                              Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)

Comment

Working...
                              X