No announcement yet.

Archon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most likely not a reference design, I have a 7970 that I have to do the same thing to.
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Yeah, I'm trying to save some cash (it IS a reference card). I have another build where I spent more money on the cooling, that one has dual full cover EK 290 blocks with backplates. This build has a combination of used parts, parts bought on sale, and ghetto engineering

The rip lengthwise was the trickiest, but I should end up with 26 fins about 3/4" tall by 1/8 x 1/16, with a 1/4 base. There will be a 140mm fan blowing on both cards, mounted on the hard drive cage an inch or two from the end of the cards. I just need to nip a bit off the ends, drill some holes to mount it, and clean it up a bit. X 3 heatsinks...

Comment

From precision drilling to daredevil table sawing
        Stubs

Comment

Originally posted by Midnightoil View Post
          From precision drilling to daredevil table sawing
          And to think I'm a software guy At least I didn't lose any fingers, or get aluminum in my eyes! It does make quite a mess...

Comment

You had to mention the finger eh lol
            Stubs

Comment

just don't take out the thumbs!
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

You had to mention the finger eh lol
                My apologies, that wasn't deliberate! Read your whole GT500 thread to figure out the reference.

Nice to see what real fabrication skills can do

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                  My apologies, that wasn't deliberate! Read your whole GT500 thread to figure out the reference.

Nice to see what real fabrication skills can do
                  Its all coool..... and thanks
                  Stubs

Comment

Its all coool..... and thanks

Hand injuries are no fun. A few years back I tried to earn the name Crusher - dropped the back half of my 1990 535i on my hands. It took about six months to get the use of my right hand back. Stupid, and very lucky!

So, I mentioned earlier that the GPU blocks were obsolete. The issue is that they are for 6xxx series Radeons and their NVidia counterparts from that era. On the Radeon, that means there is a 2mm difference in the hole spacing. I had ordered a cheap NVidia GT200 adapter kit, intending to drill holes in the correct location, but it turns out I was able to make it work by removing the threaded portion of the Radeon adapter plate, exposing a larger hole, and then using some of the hardware from the GT200 adapter kit. Here is the Radeon adpater plate:

And here is the GPU with the heatsinks installed. I've left the nuts off the GPU machine screws so you can see how they are located in the outer edge of the hole (holes are covered when installed). You can also see how my fabricated VRM heatsink turned out (used some other old Swiftech mounting hardware for that one). This gave me a cheap cooling solution for 2 GPUs in this build, plus 1 GPU for another budget WC build.

Comment

Nice work MacGyver!!
                      Stubs

Comment

Grinder man! nice mods bro
                        HAF932 Mods
                        C70 Mods

Comment

Thanks guys. I do have a special place in my heart for improvising something out of nothing. Just for fun, I switched to the jigsaw. But after that, it's back to the drill
                          Last edited by Grinder; 09-30-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Here are the jigsaw results. I harvested this from the section removed from the side of the case in order to install the window.

It's intended for my H220 Unleashed build, which I'm changing around a bit.

And as promised, I picked up the drill again to add a vent to the bottom of the case (on the left in the pic) to install the 2x120 rad there. Had to drill out a ton of rivets first (replacing them with machine screws). I preserved the mounting holes for the HDD cage in case I ever decide to change things around again.

This section won't be seen, as it's the underside of the case and a rad will be sitting on it, so I sacrificed a little quality for speed this time around. Needs some sanding and paint!

Comment

The Mad Driller!! Excellent Work

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                                Thanks for the tip Hooded. I guess my attitude is, in for a penny, in for a pound. I might as well carry on and see how it turns out, since if I go for a replacement mesh I'll have to cut the material out of the top of the case anyway. Nothing to lose, except maybe a few more drill bits I'll see how it looks after the first few.
                                A free source of modding mesh can be found at your local heavy duty mechanic shop. Go to the dumpster and grab a used air filter from a semi truck. Peel the screen of, wash it up and there you go.

Comment

Working...
                                X