Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archon

*** update ***

The latest iteration of this build starts on page 12...

*** end update ***

As I was painting parts red and replacing white/black fractal fans in my Blood and Guts build in a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, I was a little reluctant, as I really liked the white on black theme. It reminded me of the old game Archon, the light vs. the dark, and AFAIK Archon means ruler, which sounds suitable for a high end pc. Since I have a running high end intel rig in a Fractal Design Define XL R2, I thought I'd do a custom loop in that rig, preserving the stock white on black colour scheme.

So, as usual for me, the build is about performance, bang for the buck rather than cost is no object, function over form, and no fancy paint jobs. Although it will require some paint and modding, and won't exactly use low end components!

I'm trying to do a custom water loop as cheaply as I can. To that end, I scored some used XSPC parts on kijiji for a good price (they originally came from Daz), an EX360, fans, fittings, bayres, and D5 strong. Since I'll need to mount the rad horizontally in my case, I'm swapping the EX360 and Xinruillian fans for a Swiftech MCR320-XP and Corsair SP120 high performance fans from the Blood and Guts build, which is on hold pending a mobo warranty issue. I picked up a Raystorm block on sale, as well as a couple of Swiftech MCW82 universal blocks at clearance prices from (*gasp*) NCIX. But not to fear, I give the majority of my business to Daz I also ordered a 12 to 24v step up converter from China via Ebay, as well as some aluminum ramsinks.

So without further rambling, here are the components:

Fractal Design Refine XL R2
    Window kit for XL R2 from FrozenCPU
    Asus Sabertooth Z77
    Intel i7 3770k
    2x XFX R9 290 Black Edition
    4x4GB Samsung "wonder ram"
    G.Skill Turbulence ram cooler
    WD Blue 7200 RPM 1TB
    Corsair HX850 Gold
    Samsung 24X DVD

Cooling parts:

XSPC Raystorm CPU block
    2X Swiftech MCW82 universal GPU blocks
    XSPC Dual Bayres
    XSPC black chrome 3/8 ID compression fittings
    D5 strong
    12 to 24V step up converter
    aluminum ramsinks
    Primochill Advanced LRT White 3/8 ID
    Dazmode protectant
    misc T's and clips for the gpu blocks
    Swiftech MCR320-XP
    Swiftech MCR220-QP
    5x Corsair SP120
    misc fittings to accommodate water temp sensor and drain port
    T-Balancer miniNG fan controller

Here are a couple of pics of the victim:

I don't really plan to change the colour scheme. Part of the inspiration was the fact that I liked it as is! However, some mods will be required. I'll be installing a large side window kit. The 360 rad will be installed in the top of the case, and holes will have to be cut to let the 3rd fan breath. I was going to install the 240 rad in the front, but am rethinking that. The drive cages have a lot of flexibility on location and orientation, but the front mount would require removal of the bottom fan, and I want the fresh air in that area to cool the GPU RAM and VRM's. Plus the side intake is going away with the window installation. So I'll be going for a bottom rad installation, cutting holes adjacent to the existing filtered bottom fan. A single drive cage can then be suspended (another minor mod) from the optical bay section, which will allow the 2 front fans to continue to provide fresh air, and I can do another minor mod to position an extra fan on the back side of the cage, blowing directly on the GPU's.

That's it for now, I'll post some more pics when I start modding the case.
    Last edited by Grinder; 08-29-2018, 01:02 PM.

Nice project.
    Looking forward to the progress.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Interesting build. Nothing wrong with managing Wc expenses, as this stuff is far from cheap!
      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
      Venom Build: Build Log,
      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
      Orange Build: Final Video
      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm unemployed, and setting up a couple of machines for OpenCL software development, so money is tight. Even buying on sale and used, I'm still at around $430 for cooling parts. But that's not bad for a full custom loop with two rads and 3 blocks to cool 2 high end gpus and a cpu, with all the fittings/tubing/tees/clamps/fans et cetera, the whole nine yards. The EX360/fans/10 compression fittings/dual bayres/D5 strong was a good find at $120. It was $20 delivered for 100 ramsinks lol, and the same for the 12 to 24v converter.

I'm trying to figure out how to drill the holes in the top and bottom. I don't have access to a drill press, and can't afford cnc, so it'll be a bitch to keep the ~160 holes even. So far, I took a rubbing of the top holes to help me figure out where to drill to extend it. I have a scrap piece of Pergo laminate floor - I've screwed it to the top of the case, marked the selected holes, and started drilling them out to create a template/drill guide. I'm beginning to think the laminate was a poor choice, as it's really hard and burning through drill bits! Anyway, it won't be perfectly even rows of holes, but pretty close. It should be good enough as long as I don't get too OCD about it. One of those things that you do, and only you notice the slight imperfections until you point them out! Hopefully...

Comment

Man that's a lot of drilling.
          That will kill some time for sure.

Comment

The $430 is remarkable for this set of parts. Instead of drilling you can just cut off mesh with nippers, I did that couple times.
            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
            Venom Build: Build Log,
            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
            Orange Build: Final Video
            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
              Man that's a lot of drilling.
              That will kill some time for sure.
              No kidding I had to add two rows to the left side of the last pic, however that is included in the 160 figure. 13 rows of 12-13 holes, but at least I get to skip the first couple. I'm thinking of sending Fractal some hate mail regarding their failure to allow for a triple rad config up top I hope to use my template for both the top and bottom. I also have a third case that needs a vent in the bottom, however for that one I'm deciding between using the template, just cutting a larger hole and using a filter, or recycling the mesh area from the side panel that will be removed for the window install (holes are a different size/spacing than the others).

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
              The $430 is remarkable for this set of parts. Instead of drilling you can just cut off mesh with nippers, I did that couple times.
              D'oh! I forgot to add the cost of the TBalancer miniNG and water temp sensor, although at least I had them already. So say another $50, but well worth it to be able to manage rad fans and ventilation fans based on water/internal air temp.

I've also tried to cut corners on the pc components. The mobo/cpu were purchased on kijiji, as were the hard drive and gpus. All the other major parts except the window kit were purchased on sale. The ram I found last year on amazon.ca, they were listed with an incorrect picture (laptop ram) that was scaring off buyers. So while I didn't get them for the introductory price (they were extremely cheap at first!), I did snag them for around $170 including tax and shipping. Not a SCREAMING deal, but not bad for 16GB of ram that will do 2133 C9 at 1.55v.

Cutting off the mesh is plan B. I'd like to keep it for aesthetic reasons, but we'll see how it goes once I start drilling. I've got an initial set of holes in my laminate flooring template, with a 1/4 inch bit. There is some variation in the hole positions within the mesh holes, so I think I'll revisit them and see if I can cut away some of the excess in each hole, and then finish with a 17/64 bit that just fits the mesh opening (I have only 1, and it's only steel so wouldn't survive cutting all the holes without paving the way a bit - pun intended!). If that looks good, I buy a couple of 17/64 black oxide or titanium, depending on what I can find cheap, to drill the holes in the metal. If only cobalt was cheaper!

Comment

This shot shows the holes drilled in the laminate template. You can see that I wasn't able to be completely consistent with each hole, hence my motivation to enlarge them as discussed in my last post.

This one shows the drive cage. The curled metal parts where I've mounted the fan weren't quite aligned right for the fan holes, so I used a large C clamp to persuade them to move a little.

This shot shows the cage hung, and the fan position relative to the gpus. The bottom rad is set in place, holes for the right side fan aren't drilled yet.

Here is the rad I'll be using for the top, just to show more or less where it will go once I've drilled the fan holes. Inside the case of course! Will set it up to exhaust, while the bottom rad will have filtered intakes.

And the front, with two filtered 140's for fresh air. Just a mockup, nothing has been cleaned or mounted yet.

Comment

I know your trying hard to keep your cost down, but I would check with some local metal shops for a small piece of hex mesh or worst case, purchase some from MNPCTech
                  Interesting issues to over come.
                  Looking good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                    I know your trying hard to keep your cost down, but I would check with some local metal shops for a small piece of hex mesh or worst case, purchase some from MNPCTech
                    Interesting issues to over come.
                    Looking good though.
                    Thanks for the tip Hooded. I guess my attitude is, in for a penny, in for a pound. I might as well carry on and see how it turns out, since if I go for a replacement mesh I'll have to cut the material out of the top of the case anyway. Nothing to lose, except maybe a few more drill bits I'll see how it looks after the first few.

Comment

lots of Raddage

sweeeeet!

Comment

It's only a 2x120 and a 3x120. What are you smoking FF?

I have to admit, in the pic of the case interior, the frame for the front 2x140 fans does kinda look like another rad.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                          It's only a 2x120 and a 3x120. What are you smoking FF?

I have to admit, in the pic of the case interior, the frame for the front 2x140 fans does kinda look like another rad.
                          ummm......only the best lol

i thought you had another in the front.......doh

Comment

Originally posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
                            lots of Raddage

sweeeeet!
                            Hey ! Raddage is my invention, I even have it patented for 7 years. But you can use it though. Click image for larger version

Name:	gif.gif
Views:	3
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	76351
                            3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Originally posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
                              lots of Raddage

sweeeeet!
                              He used radwich in replying to one of my other builds a few months ago. Hopefully that doesn't infringe! Personally I think he's a radaholic. That looks like UV Green coolant in those bottles...

Comment

Working...
                              X