Archon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nass View Post
    some acrylic would set that case off nice, but like the look now also, looks nice, fan is sweet.
    Hard acrylic tubing? Yeah, I suppose I'll go there eventually but it's not in my budget Besides, I kinda like the sweeping curves of a well laid out conventional loop, and that it can be reused. I think I actually prefer it the way it is. And I didn't want those grapes anyway

Originally posted by 10e View Post
    I really like it, Grinder.

The beauty of black and white is that you can use RGB led strips like the ones Dazmode sells, or my other fave, the NZXT Hue, to use color combinations to "color" the white highlights and that gives you some flexibility in terms of aesthetics.

So for example if you want the white parts to look orange, just set the RGB lights to orange and this will tint the white highlights.

Very nice, and the fan painting mod is epic. I'd like to see a picture of the fan set to spin, I'm sure that would look pretty cool too.
    Thanks 10e. For the moment at least, I'm deliberately sticking with the white LEDs as they fit with the whole Archon/light vs dark/white on black theme. But it's good to know that I have the option to change the look without tearing the whole thing apart.

Comment

• What do you folks think of the LEDs on the GPUs?

I'm definitely planning on lighting up the fan mod, and trying to decide whether to leave the GPU LEDs in place and buy a few more, or just move them.

Comment

• I used in multiple builds. Matter of taste I guess.
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

• Originally posted by DazMode View Post
          I used in multiple builds. Matter of taste I guess.
          Used what Daz? The LEDs on GPUs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grinder View Post
            Used what Daz? The LEDs on GPUs?
            Ah, I was thinking you are asking in general.

No, won't be adding any more LED to what you already have.
            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
            Venom Build: Build Log,
            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
            Orange Build: Final Video
            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

• I want to light up the fan mod. I'm asking if people think I should just move the two LEDs from the GPUs to the fan, or add a couple of extras to the fan.

Comment

• just add, I would.
                Blackout
                Something-New
                Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

• Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                  I've been looking for a C64 and 1541drive for years now... this would be a classic mod for sure.
                  Just make sure you get a Fast Load cartridge to speed up this dreadfully slow 5.25" floppy disk. It's the only cartridge worth it for the C64

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                  What do you folks think of the LEDs on the GPUs?

I'm definitely planning on lighting up the fan mod, and trying to decide whether to leave the GPU LEDs in place and buy a few more, or just move them.
                  Since that is a Fractal Design fan, they have the added feature of having 5mm LED holes in each corner. A set or two of Darkside twin 5mm white LEDs and a small amount of sticky double-sided tape or hot glue would make sure they stay into each hole.

With the white fan blades I guarantee you'd like the effect on your Archon custom fan. I tried it with some orange LEDs I bought from Daz on both Fractal and NZXT Fans and the effect was very nice. I'm including this as a mod in my next small project.
                  DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

• Originally posted by 10e View Post
                    Since that is a Fractal Design fan, they have the added feature of having 5mm LED holes in each corner. A set or two of Darkside twin 5mm white LEDs and a small amount of sticky double-sided tape or hot glue would make sure they stay into each hole.

With the white fan blades I guarantee you'd like the effect on your Archon custom fan. I tried it with some orange LEDs I bought from Daz on both Fractal and NZXT Fans and the effect was very nice. I'm including this as a mod in my next small project.
                    I actually discovered those mounting holes this am (need to be drilled out, but the 5mm mounts are there). I tried out a pair of UV lights on it, since a "black light" sounded appropriate for light vs dark. However I can see that I'll want 4, and I think the white will look better

Comment

• Final Fractal Fan arrived Now I just need to order four 5mm white LEDs for the fan mod. And I hate paying shipping equal to the cost of the goods, so I'm looking for something else to buy I'd like to find a fan controller, but those are hard to find within budget...

Now that this thing is up and running again, I've been trying to dial in an OC on the cpu and gpus. I don't have high expectations for the GPUs, they are XFX R9 290s with crappy Elpida ram. I have them at 1150/1350, with the GPU temps around 45-50 load in Valley with the room warm from the woodstove and depending on the fan settings. But I had higher hopes for the cpu.

I had a 3770k that I cooled with a Thermaltake Water Extreme 2.0 AIO cooler, it would do 4.6 with the fans set aggressively with around 1.35V. However the 3770k in my Asus Z77 Sabertooth overheats like crazy. With only 4.4 Ghz Turbo on all cores, and 1.25V, peak core temps are already hitting 95 in CoreTemp, albeit in a warm room. It's as though the raystorm sucks, or the damn CPU doesn't have any thermal compound under the heat spreader. I remounted it twice with Gelid Extreme (and realized that it wasn't tightened down as much as it could be) but I'm still getting similar results. As far as I can tell from the resistance, assuming the water temp probe is similar to the air ones I have, the loop temp is around 30-32C. And the GPU temps are fine.

I'm tempted to delid the little sucker... It's not as though I think it has a ton of potential, but it's overheating at a modest overclock and volts and the loop seems like it should be able to do a lot better than the AIO.
                      Last edited by Grinder; 11-29-2014, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• I'd suggest a de-lid. That will help a lot with temperatures. Even if you continue to use the integrated heat spreader with some coollaboratories liquid ultra underneath, you will see a large amount of difference. I remember going from close to 80 celsius down to like 58 at 4.5 @ 1.25 volts, and was able to go 4.9 at 1.32 volts on that chip after, only going up to like 67 celsius.

For some reason, 3770K responds to a de-lid much, much better than the 4770K does. My 4770K was a dog and the de-lid only made like a few celsius difference even at 4.3Ghz at 1.35 volts. Crappy 4770K but you get the gist.
                        DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

• I don't have any liquid ultra here, but I have a good selection of other compounds: Noctua NT-H1, Gelid GC Extreme, Arctic Cooling MX2, Arctic Silver 5, and some factory XSPC and Swiftech stuff that came with components. I even have a bit of Arctic Silver 2 But the first two are the best I have here.

I'd rather just use the naked die, but since I'm using a raystorm with it I'm concerned about crushing the core. Has anyone seen a naked die used with a raystorm?

Comment

• I found some references to folks using a raystorm on a naked ivy

http://www.overclock.net/t/1468701/x...ional-hardware

So I'll probably give this a try, just using the Gelid Extreme, delidding and removing the stock retention mechanism. Wish me luck!

Comment

• Have to make sure it is a flat surface on the block, not convex like some of the blocks or it will put too much pressure at one place and crack it for sure.
                              3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

• Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
                                Have to make sure it is a flat surface on the block, not convex like some of the blocks or it will put too much pressure at one place and crack it for sure.
                                Thanks for the tip, I had assumed it would be flat. ASS/U/ME. or just me in this case!

I'm hoping I won't have to drain it... But I'll give it a few rubs against a piece of glass with the finest paper I have, and see where the wear is.

Comment

Working...
                                X