Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverstone Fortress MicroATX FT03 White/Pink

What's up guys,

This is my first water cooled build, and I have to say it was defiantly a learning experience. I probably shouldn't have done a MicroATX for my first build. But my friend gave me his old rampage gene III and cpu so I decided to try my hand at water cooling for fun. It's done now so here it is

Hardware
    Case: Silverstone Fortress FT03 MicroATX Black
    Board: ASUS Rampage III Gene
    CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz OC'd @ 4.2GHz
    RAM: Mushkin 998782 - 12GB (2x3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 7-9-7-24 Blackline
    GPU: Sapphire BIOS FLASHED 6950->6970 OC'd @ 950/1450
    SSD: 2x Intel SSD 520 120GB RAID0

Watercooling
    CPU: EK-Supremacy - Acetal Nickel
    GPU: EK-FC6970 Full Cover Block for HD6970 Acetal EN
    Res/Pump: EK-Reservoir DCP 2.2 Combo
    Original Rad 1: EK-CoolStream RAD XT120 DEAD D:
    Replacement Rad 1: XSPC RX120
    Rad 2: Black Ice Micro Dual 80mm Radiator Black
    80mm Fans: 2x Arctic Cooling ARCTIC F8
    120mm Fans: 2x Enermax T.B. Vegas TRIO

Fittings & Accessories
    10x 1/2"ID - 3/4"OD Straight Compression Fitting - Matt Black
    5x 45 Degree High Flow Rotary Adapter M/F G1/4 - Black
    1x 90 Degree Rotary Adapter M/F G1/4 Black BP-MB90R
    1x 60 Degree Rotary Adapter M/F G1/4 Black BP-MB60R
    1x 90 Degree Double Rotary Adapter M/F G1/4 Black BP-MB90R2
    2x TFC Xvibe - Noise Absorber for 120mm fans, Black
    1x Black Stop Plug Fitting - G1/4" w/ Slot Head
    1x 12" LED Light - Cold White
    1x 6" LED Light - Cold White
    Thermochill Flex 1/2"OD -3/4"ID Tube - Clear (not-UV)
    10ml Mayhems Dye : Pink

I wish I took more progress pictures, but once I got building I couldn't stop. Maybe next time

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	79278

Name:	IMG_0697.jpg
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	79279

Name:	IMG_07001.jpg
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	79282

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	79280

Name:	IMG_0705.jpg
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	79281

I based my build on HackJoe's seen here: http://web.archive.org/web/201206280...tercooled.html

I originally had the same basic layout as HackJoe's, along with the case mod to fit the 80mm rads, but I had to change it up after I destroyed the EK-XT120 Rad. I originally had the top fan lifted on rubber washers so the longer screws that came with the rad fit. But I removed them later on because I got some different noise absorbers and completely forgot about being too long. I stabbed my rad and it leaked all over everything T_T. Good thing the power wasn't on .

Bought the XSPC RX120 in a rush not realizing it was double the size of the EK. Thankfully I made it fit after I move my 6950 to the 2nd PCIe slot and turn the rad completely around. I also got more degree fittings to try and line up the tubes better and I think it looks nicer overall compared to HackJoe's.

The only thing I wish I knew how HackJoe got that plexi-glass front panel. I would really like one to show off my cooling as well instead of just leaving the case open.

I know the pictures aren't very good. But I'm not a crazy photographer like some people that post their builds on here. If you guys would like any other angles or other pictures, just let me know and I'll try and take some.
    Last edited by bungwirez; 02-14-2013, 04:38 PM. Reason: increase pic sizes to "Large"

Good job with fitting Rx in such tiny case. LED lights do a nice job to show all components.

The only thing liquid level is low in reservoir.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

very nice work on this build. good thinking for the RX rad clearance complication. how is the temps on that little baby should be decent?!?
      Orange GT Build
      Orange V8 GT Build
      Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Looking Good!
        The window side panel looks like a mod to me.
        Grab some plexi at Home Depot.
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Hey Punky. great job. looks like you learned a lot.

Hoody's right, its dremel time.
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
            Good job with fitting Rx in such tiny case. LED lights do a nice job to show all components.

The only thing liquid level is low in reservoir.
            Thanks Daz. I'll make sure to fill up the res next time I get a chance.

Originally posted by MRDcanadian View Post
            very nice work on this build. good thinking for the RX rad clearance complication. how is the temps on that little baby should be decent?!?
            I never did stress tests before I OC'd but I believe the bios said the temps were very low 20's w/o load.

OC'd @ 4.2 my temps are usually 40's no load and 70's during stress tests.

Here's a pic of my LinX stress test.

Name:	stable42ghz.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	74975

As for dremeling my case. Anyone know any good tutorial videos on how-to mod a panel to add plexi-glass? I'm not super skilled with a dremel, but if its easy enough I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Comment

!!!

While I'm no expert at any form of case modding; I've cut a few holes in my chassis, one or two were even for adding a side window.
              The following video shows the real expert

While the vid's a few years old; the basics are the same, and you don't need to spend a fortune on any name brand rotary tools (e.g. Dremel)...a $15 ($9.99 on sale) Jobmate from Canadian Tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/2/CordedPowerTools/RotaryToolKits/PRDOVR~0544777P/Jobmate+36-piece+Rotary+Tool+Kit.jsp?locale=en works just as well, and Dremel accessories fit on it (which is a real bonus IMO). RONA sells 24" x 36" sheets of acrylic for about $16 + tax.

Just don't forget to wear work/ safety gloves and goggles, remember...safety 1st!!
              AsRock Extreme6 Z97, Intel i5 4690K 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3, EVGA GTX 1070, ASUS Strix Raid Pro soundcard, Corsair HX850i, 256 GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 500 GB Crucial MX100 (Gaming) SSD, custom water-cooled Corsair Air 540, MSI AG32C LED monitor, Insignia 32 " LED TV, Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Comment

that pink looks pretty sweet, nice job!
                The Ultra Fancy Build
                The Bluehawk Pedestrian Build

The Bluehawk Ultra Build - Retired
                The Fancy Pedestrian Build - Retired

Comment

Working...
                X