[WIP] STH10 Silver Arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [WIP] STH10 Silver Arrow

Im too lazy to do a build log, but i figured i'll just share what i had planned for my build.

I started with a SMA8 and was planning to do a custom pedestal + SMA8. I already made the midplate to connect the pedestal to the SMA8. Then i happen to stumble on a STH10 (which i always prefer) for sale.

Sold my SMA8 and bought the STH10.

So going into this project - i want to achieve most of the things i want, with as little mods to the case as i possibly can. Caselab parts arent inexpensive and shipping is a killer. So if i do change my mind down in the future, its more cost effective for me to do so.

So i started with building a midplate for the pumps + res. Aluminum sheets are quite expensive (thicker gauge anyways), so i used MDF boards. Cheap, easy to use and cheaper to replace if i screw up.

Looking at the rough placement for the midplate. And whether do i want a gap between the case and the pump/res plate.

Working on the top and figuring out where to drill the holes for the CPU loop.

Well, i messed up and didnt triple check my measurements. Lesson #1 learned the hard way \

Double checking where the ports are on the CPU block and holes for the top of the case.

Finally taking shape. Also, i used 1/8" MDF board for the mid plate and use the existing holes on the chassis to route my tubing. I think it looks very clean and avoid drilling on the expensive part.

Plumbing the bottom rad. I hate EMT tubing. A pain in the ass to compress.

Then i got both my pump/res and found out, that if i put a 1"+ space between the back of the case and pump/res plate, it'll push the pumps too far forward and ill miss my ideal hole for one of the pumps. So, decided to install 1/2" foam gasket (ones you use to cover gaps for insulation) behind the res/pump plate. Also acts as an insulator against noise and vibrations.

Finally doing my bends. It took a couple of tries using the mandrel bends (barrow kit) for me to realize, its easier to hand form them than use the kit. Good thing i bought (3) 1m PETG tubing to use. I went through 2/3 of them.

Also, i redid the 90* bend coming into the pump on the left hand side.

Ordered a sheet of Brushed Alum and 4D carbon fiber vinyl and install them. I ordered a small sheet to see if i like it. Its much better in person than the pics. If you guys are looking for a vinyl sheet, check out VVivid. These are the ones i purchased:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didnt take too many pics up to this point. I only had a day to finish everything and manage to finish the comp in 9+ hours. The current setup above is just temporary.

Next on the list to do:

- Sleeved cables
    - Fabricate a bracket and Install the AQ6 by the window (since my comp is sideways anyways)
    - Just ordered my foam insulation and install it when it gets here
    - Finish the vinyl installation
    - Re-do the wiring for the PA2, HD cages and install another HD cage for the HD's on the bottom chamber

Its been an 8+ months of hoarding parts and pieces and im glad to see its all together.

I'll update once i get my order next week.

Looks good man,

I like what you did with the custom back plate for your reservoirs. Are you planning on keeping the fan controller ? I'm assuming the wires will get cleaned up when you start sleeving ? What color scheme are you thinking of going with ?

Comment

Looking good, especially for only 9 hrs into it.
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Damn, I wouldn't have got that much done in 9 days! Nice work! Midplates like that are almost necessary in a Case Labs case. Too many holes!

Comment

love insane deadline builds. great work Prolab!
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

Looks great, Like heatkiller and tubes
            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
            Venom Build: Build Log,
            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
            Orange Build: Final Video
            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

really like the res placements and the tube runs, nice job prolab
              Blackout
              Something-New
              Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Nice use of vinyl! I like the heatkiller block and tube routing as well.

Gotta get to that other DDC with the vinyl, looks awesome like that!
                My Imgur

Comment

Originally posted by guilly08 View Post
                  Looks good man,

I like what you did with the custom back plate for your reservoirs. Are you planning on keeping the fan controller ? I'm assuming the wires will get cleaned up when you start sleeving ? What color scheme are you thinking of going with ?

Yes, but not in its current form. Ill fabricate some sort of bracket to place the AQ6 by the window.

Sleeving and cleaning up the cables once i get my cable kit in the next month or so. Mostly black, silver/grey theme. Still deciding whether to vinyl the MB heatsink or just leave it be.

Originally posted by nass View Post
                  really like the res placements and the tube runs, nice job prolab
                  Originally posted by Necrodead View Post
                  Nice use of vinyl! I like the heatkiller block and tube routing as well.

Gotta get to that other DDC with the vinyl, looks awesome like that!

The DDC stock heatsink will be replaced with a silver HS. Just deciding which HS to get. I was surprised it was easy to use the PETG tubing. Easier than i expected. Ill probably get rid of the EMT tubing and just use Acrylic/PETG next time i buy some hardline fittings.

Comment

Looks nice Prolab! I love to watch custom work

Comment

Okay, so finally installed the vinyl on the case. There's some areas that didnt worked out properly with the vinyl. Im leaving them for now and figure out later on how to fix it.

Slowly but surely, she's getting there.

Now, time to order the HS for the pumps, cables for the GPU/24-pin, and other misc things...

... and i should be done

Comment

looks really cool prolab nice job
                        Blackout
                        Something-New
                        Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Working...
                        X