Phanteks Luxe Tempered Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phanteks Luxe Tempered Glass

Well this build wasn't very nice to the wallet.

After building my S8, I ran into graphics card problems. So I had to RMA the graphics card. Simple right, drain the loop, disassemble and then put the factory HSF back on. I forgot step 1 and just started to disassemble. Okay, fine. Dry the motherboard, have a room fan on it... 3 days later boot it up. It worked fine, and then zap. ... so now I have a dead motherboard and through testing, a dead processor. Trying to RMA the processor. Couldn't RMA the motherboard because I peeled a sticker off it. Word of warning, the serial number sticker on the motherboard, kind of important...

I was pissed. I was so pissed I grabbed my credit card and went stupid. I had previously bought the Luxe for my server, but decided to use the case for my main rig instead.

(new) I7-7700k @5ghz (1.33vcore adaptive with -2 avx offset).
    (new) Asus Maximus Formula IX
    (new) Heatkiller tube 150 D5 with all the mounting stuff.
    (new) Heatkiller Pro IV Acrylic Clean
    (new) Heatkiller HTSF2 360 rad
    (new) Bitspower fittings
    Eloop fans, Corsair ML140

Did this all up and created this:

Got my overclock to 5Ghz stable, but this kaby lake processor was running hot! Not only that, my 360 rad simply wasn't enough to cool my components. During my stress tests for my OC, I would hit 85C easily, sometimes coming by 90C. My water temp was 30C and idle temps of 35C in an ambient of 22C

At this point, I'm on full PC-Building-Tilt and when I saw those temps, well, time to dig even deeper right?

Allow me to present my final build:

I7-7700k @5ghz (1.33vcore adaptive with -2 avx offset).
    Asus Maximus Formula IX
    Gigabyte Gaming 1 GTX 1070
    (new) 32 GB Tridentz RGB Ram PC3200
    (new) Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500GB M.2

Heatkiller tube 150 D5 with all the mounting stuff.
    Heatkiller Pro IV Acrylic Clean
    Bitspower fittings
    (new) EK CoolStream CE 420
    (new) EK CoolStream XE 240
    (new) 3x 140mm Noctua IPPC 2000 RPM PWM
    (new) 4x 120mm Noctua IPPC 2000 RPM PWM
    3x Darkside RGB Lighting strips

Having fun with Tempered glass reflections

Having some fun with RGB

The album
    http://imgur.com/a/SNkb4

Some final thoughts:

- The Formula IX is an amazing motherboard. It has completely replaced the need for a fan controller and I'm not using any molex connectors in my build. It has two 3amp 36watt fan headers. This means I'm running my D5 off the motherboard. It has two 2-pin temperature sensors which work with the Darkside temp sensor fitting. It also has a RPM flow sensor pin, but I don't have one of those things since it's out of stock.

- Kabylake still runs hot. I should have de-lidded it, but after this whole ordeal did not want to deal with a potentially dead CPU. Right now my temp hits 70C under load (not an avx2 test) so I'm okay with that for now.

- The Phanteks Luxe Tempered Glass is a decent case. I originally bought it because I wanted a case that I could watercool while still keeping the drive bays that also looked nice. As you can see, I lost the drive bays (which prompted the NVMe purchase). The Reservoir mount for this case will only accept a 60mm res. Since the Heatkiller Tube was 70mm (plus mounting) it wouldn't fit with my 1070 graphics card. This is evident in the first pictures where I had to drill some holes in the shroud to mount horizontal.

- Major flaw with the Phanteks Luxe in combination with the I/O plate of the Formula is that the top radiator cannot be mounted with the ports on the left side (back of case). The reason is that with a 90 fitting, it hits I/O plate. This was with the 360 and 420 radiator up top. Needs more clearance on the top.

- Speaking of mounting problems. I am never buying a separate res and pump again. Having the integrated unit makes life so much easier. In fact, I bought a new one for my server which is currently watercooled in my S8 using the old parts from skylake build. I'll be rebuilding that case, so will update that thread later.

- I saw from Snef's build log how the white coolant and white components took on the colour of the RGB lighting. I was very excited about that since I always wanted a purple and green build, or maybe a red build, or maybe a white build. Using the Aura Sync software I can change it up and not have to buy new LEDs, re-sleeve extensions, etc. Keeping the hardware monochromatic and using lights to change the colours is amazing... though many hate them, I love RGB lights.

- The TridentZ RGB ram looks amazing. Unforunately they haven't released the software to allow me to change the colours to what I want them to be. The rainbow/ripple effect is still pretty good though.

- Noctua industrial fans still have that ugly rubber brown... but at least now they don't stand out. At 2000 RPM they sound like those old san-ace jet fans.
    Last edited by fuji; 02-09-2017, 06:47 AM.

DAMN SON!
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

Comment

sorry for the losses but the end result looks fantastic

super photo's and a great batch of hardware

Comment

Sweet build looks great.
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

That is how you do it right! This build is perfection of balanced watercooling design with top HW parts.
          Sentinel Build: Build Log,
          Venom Build: Build Log,
          Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
          Orange Build: Final Video
          HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Awesome build ! Nicely done.
            3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm really happy with how this one turned out. Sometimes I just sit here and stare at it lol. My RMA from Intel was accepted today so now I have almost enough spare parts to make a new computer. Just need to buy a new mobo, psu and case.

Comment

Sweet build Fuji! Love anything with HeatKiller on it! Motherboards have come a long way in a very short period of time. Makes me want to jump on this Z270 bandwagon, just to get all these high amp headers and onboard temp sensors. Can't wait for X299!

Comment

Working...
                X