Project Blackheart (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Blackheart (Pic Heavy)

Figured I'd post up my first serious build for you guys to enjoy. This is my third custom waterloop, and the first time I decided to throw caution to the wind when it came to buying parts. I wanted the best of the best (within reason) since I had saved up enough to do it finally. Keep in mind this build was done around January 2016, so the 10 series cards and 6000 series 2011v3 CPUs hadn't come out yet.

The original idea was:

Caselabs M8/M10 in black
    X99, either RVE or MSI Godlike
    5930K (better single-core performance than the 5960X and a lot cheaper, which meant more money to spend on other cool parts)
    Trident Z 32GB
    SLI GTX 980 Ti, either Gigabyte G1 Gaming or EVGA Classys, watercooled with EK full blocks+back plates
    Re-using the XSPC Raystorm CPU block and possibly RAM blocks from my previous builds
    Bitspower compression fittings
    Red flexible tubing, likely Primochill LRT since I had used it previously and was a big fan, and distilled water+ Daz's additive
    XSPC EX360 from my old build
    Darkside 360mm dust-free thick rad
    Whatever other cool parts I could get my hands on.

It just so happened that one of my buddies was getting rid of a Caselabs M8 that he didn't end up using for one of his builds,thus kickstarting my new build. Only problem with it was it was white, but I got such a good deal on it that I couldn't say no to it. I decided to go with it:

I decided I wanted to change a few things up with the case, so I put in a big order with caselabs and the waiting game began.

In the meantime, I decided to grab a pair of G1 Gaming 980 Tis as they were on sale at the time (boxing day FTW), and from the research I had done they seemed to be about the same performance as the much pricier classifieds from EVGA (which apparently had iffy bins):

Went ahead and grabbed a couple of EK-FC nickel+acetal blocks and nickel back plates for them and almost immediately ripped apart the cards straight out of the box (after testing them first of course) and threw them on:

I ended up deciding to go with the ASUS Rampage V Extreme, mostly due to the price difference between it and the MSI Godlike Gaming. I also managed to get a really good deal on it at the time (about $100 off MSRP), which was a major deciding factor. I figured I couldn't go wrong with either of these boards anyways.

I also managed to get a killer deal on a sealed, BNIB 5930K off of Kijiji locally, and managed to price-match for a set of 32GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G Skill Trident Z RAM at NCIX to get about $50 off.

At this point, I decided to start mocking stuff up and seeing how I would route my tubing and the new Bitspower res. At the time, I decided to only put 1 980 Ti in since I was waiting on the water block and backing plate for the second card, and I wanted to get the computer up and running ASAP. I also decided to use the EVGA 1300W G2 PSU from my old rig, along with the custom red+black cable extensions I had made for it.

After I had gotten the basic loop design ironed out, it was time to leak test (with lights!). Don't worry, I had everything else unplugged:

Last edited by OneFastStagea; 02-18-2017, 05:21 AM. Reason: Updates

Reserved.

Comment

Nice build.
      Sweet bit of kit
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Ya! I miss that red tube.
        HAF932 Mods
        C70 Mods

Comment

Am always partial to ROG builds, red and black just go together so well ! Looking good, and some nice shots.
          3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Great build. Nice to see caselabs as well.
            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
            Venom Build: Build Log,
            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
            Orange Build: Final Video
            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Thanks guys! The computer is actually complete now, I just haven't had time to finish posting build pics. I'll see if I can finish it up later today. I might post up my new build later today too if I have time.

Comment

Once my second EKWB and back plate had come in for my other 980 Ti, I decided to try and find a cool light-up SLI bridge for my cards, but couldn't find a Gigabyte branded one for the life of me. Instead, I turned to http://www.v1tech.com, and had them make one custom for me with the Gigabyte eye in UV reactive blue backing. It only came out to about $40 CAD after shipping so it wasn't too bad:

Once that was done, I threw the second block and back plate on my other 980 Ti and threw it in. Luckily, I only had to do very minor modification to the tubing to get it to fit nicely. I tied the two cards' blocks together with a pair of adjustable Bitspower black nickel SLI connectors since it seemed to match my build pretty well:

After a bit more leak testing, I threw everything back together and tried booting her up. At first, the motherboard wouldn't recognize the Trident Z RAM. I was freaking out about spending several hundred bucks on a set of ram that was DOA, but after trying out a buddies set of RAM and updating the BIOS on the motherboard it all started working fine. Turns out the BIOS that was on there didn't support the Trident Z for whatever reason.

I had also finally gotten in my Caselabs accessories I had ordered a while ago. I decided to get a bit more airflow into the motherboard-side of the case by switching out some of the drive bay covers with vents. Oh yea, speaking of airflow, this build has a total of 16 fans!

A nice compliment to the all-black sim rig:

Last edited by OneFastStagea; 02-19-2017, 02:41 AM.

Comment

About 8-9 months after the build, I noticed that my GPU temps were going crazy high at random times. I noticed that air bubbles were forming in the top card's water block for some reason. I decided to rip apart my loop and see what was happening.

Turns out I had let the DI water mixture sit for a bit too long over the summer (I hardly used it for about 4 months) and the coolant mixture in Daz's protector had started to solidify and accumulate on the blocks:

So I took the opportunity to upgrade waterblocks to an EK Supremacy Evo X99 to match my GPU blocks:

I also cleaned out the XSPC Raystorm block and put it aside as a spare in case I ever needed it:

Here's the final product, I decided to ditch that red CCFL below the mobo as it was a bit too obnoxious-looking for my taste:

As it turned out, I had gotten a fantastically binned set of graphics cards with Samsung memory. I was able to throw a custom BIOS I made on them and push them to 1580MHz core and 7950 memory at 1.265V stable on Heaven benchmark, good for a top 30 score on the OCN leaderboards for both overall 1080P score, and 4K score. I was able to hold onto the top 30 score for 4K, but was just recently bumped out of the top 30 overall score:

Last edited by OneFastStagea; 02-19-2017, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X