Watered Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watered Down

Sometimes I get the urge to NOT mod the crap out of a build. I have long been a fan of Fractal Design, so when I saw a Define S Window on sale on Black Friday, I picked it up. It supports water really well out of the box, so I decided to use it for a simpler take on a build. As usual, I like to employ some used parts to keep the cost down, but the quality up. So here is a watered down, simple, yet powerful build.

The 1080 came from OneFastStageA, and the mobo and pump/top/res from 10e. Thanks guys! The CPU (sealed in box), raystorm and fittings, and DDR4 came from kijiji, while the rest of the stuff I bought new (some I had used, some was still BNIB).

Components:

MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X
    Intel i7-6700k
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7
    2x8GB G.Skill DDR4-3200
    250GB Samsung 850 EVO
    2TB Seagate 7200 RPM
    Fractal Design Newton 1000W Platinum
    Fractal Design Define S
    NZXT 2m white LED kit

Cooling:

EK pump top and reservoir with Liang D5 vario pump
    XSPC Raystorm CPU waterblock
    EK full cover GPU waterblock and backplate (1080 factory parts)
    Swiftech MCR320-XP radiator
    Swiftech MCR220-QP radiator
    XSPC black chrome fittings, water temp sensor
    White 3/8 ID Primoflex Advanced LRT tubing
    2X Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm fans (for case ventilation)
    5X Corsair SP120 performance edition fans (3 for 360mm rad, 2 for 240mm rad)
    mcubed miniNG fan controller

I am still partial to tubing, and haven't made the jump yet to the hard stuff. So sue me
    Last edited by Grinder; 01-24-2018, 03:22 PM.

also building couple simple pcs. Have fun.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Sounds like a nice bit of kit.
      Bring on the pics
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Thanks guys. I figure it's a great look at what non-modders could create

It won't be pic heavy, but I did want to show 10e and StageA where their parts ended up.

Comment

At first I used 1/2 ID red primochill with feser fittings and an EK Supremacy EVO.

Comment

Very nice, practical build Grinder.

I don't blame you for sticking with soft-tubing. It is so much easier to work with!

-Mack

Comment

I had some CCFL lights laying around, so I installed them. But the effect wasn't strong, and I didn't like what it did with the white.

So I swapped them out for the NZXT white LED kit.

Comment

Thanks Mack, it also recycles well, as I took it from another build.

Comment

Once I started going white, I figured what the hell, and transferred the raystorm with two white LEDs, white tubing, and XSPC black chrome fittings from my Archon build (which I will give a minor refresh yet again). Since these next pictures I have cleaned up the dust particles and rearranged the LEDs slightly, but this is basically what I ended up with. It certainly give you a lot more room to work when you give up the drive cages and mount the drives on the back side. There is a hard drive and ssd plus the fan controller back there, with room for another couple of drives.

Comment

I like the white even better. Nice work!

CPU block looks better too.

Comment

I love the no RGB, less bling, more bang-for-the-buck approach.

Looks great. I need to get back on the flex tube train soon.

Our parts found a good home with a loving owner
                      DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Love it, that white looks awesome!

Comment

Thanks guys, I do like the way it all ties into the mobo colours. The raystorm doesn't cool quite as well, but it sure looks good there.

10e, you make it sound like I'm running a no kill shelter for gently used hardware I hope you didn't abuse it too much before I rescued it!

Comment

Originally posted by grinder View Post
                            10e, you make it sound like i'm running a no kill shelter for gently used hardware i hope you didn't abuse it too much before i rescued it!
                            lol
                            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Looking good! Hope you enjoy that card as much as I did .
                              Last edited by OneFastStagea; 01-26-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X