• Show
Clear All

• Plasti-diped a Motherboard

Hi

I have nothing to today, why not painting a motherboard

bought 2 can of white plasti-dip and 3m masking tape

first

chose a motherboard

I have a spare motherboard on a shelf, a Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H, if I burn it, to bad, go to garbage

tape all connector, hint: use 3m tape, a way better (the Green one)

after one coat,

ok need to give a second coat now

more to come today

It's a lot of work taping that all up, I hope the paint does not trap the heat in some of the mosfets and transistors. Don't push it too hard and you might be ok, going to look great.
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

I can remove dip on those
      Just to noob to know witch one i need to remove

Comment

Go to town on this Snef. give it like three more coats nice and thick...
        then there will be no mistake that it works perfectly well
        HAF932 Mods
        C70 Mods

Comment

Will insert image of mobo. 9 VRM's across the top, 5 to the left and the 2 mosfets beside those 5 and 2 below the cpu socket to the right a little. Have marked them with a white mark of some sort. Vrm's are important because they are the voltage regulators for your cpu and memory functions. Click image for larger version

Name:	81GnA5O2aaL._SL1000_ (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	75554
          3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Perfect, thanks, i will try to remove plasti-dip from vrm

Comment

always wanted to know if that was possible, looking forward to the result. so far it looks good.
              Orange GT Build
              Orange V8 GT Build
              Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

This is very interesting project. I was also thinking about painting some old mobo to see if it still would function or get issues with heat.

Also how much temps can plastidip handle? Some parts of mobo can be hot...
                Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                Venom Build: Build Log,
                Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                Orange Build: Final Video
                HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

ok

good news and bad news

first good news

wow I really like the results

some pics

and yes, easy to remove if you put enough layer

I have coat, 2 first are thin and 2 last are thick

now bad news

loolll no bad news

IT WORK

Just finish installing Windows

@Gdesmo
                  I tried to remove on VRM but impossible, the paint is like doctor glove, need to cut with exacto but I don't want to take this chane

I will take a look on this and let the computer running for minimum 48 hour with a small thread running on it, around 30 - 35% cpu usage

now some pics

I will try to do a tutorial, its very simple

Comment

Helluva job there snef, don't know if it helps but I use a dentists pick tool for small pickin'. maybe you could use one to remove the plasticoat from the parts you want to.
                    CL SM8|Asus Sabertooth Z87|i7 4770K|16GB Corsair Veng|Kingston HyperX|Seagate Barra|Corsair AX850|EVGA GTX670 SLI
                    XSPC Blocks, Bits Dual Pump Top and Tube Res|Dual D5|RX480 with Logisy and Deep Cool in P/P|Bits and TFC Fittings and XSPC Tube|Distilled with DazM Protector

Comment

Looks good and am glad it is working well, keep your eye on the vrm's. I'm interested in knowing if the heat starts to bubble up the plasti-coat in those spots. Nice job, sure wish the manufacturers would give you all the same colour connectors on the board though.

Comment

thanks

@Gdesmo

for now , I run it for more than hour now with 40% cpu usage

and the only thing hot to the touch is the big rectangle box, all vrm still cold to the touch, this is a H77 motherboard, no OC on it maybe they never run hot and that's why Gigabyte don't put any heatsink on it

and for bubble with heat, nit sure because a lot of car use this to paint the brake calipers and this I hot and don't see any issue
                        but just for sure I will do more research

Comment

WOW it looks awesome. Question you, would you think if some one wants’ that they can do some of the connector also? (Minus the top of it of course) also maybe if something was put on the pieces you didn't want it to stick to (possibly Vaseline?) thought the separation from the rest of the plastic may prove difficult still.
                          Orange GT Build
                          Orange V8 GT Build
                          Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Very cool. Nice bit of info.
                            Looking forward to final results
                            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by snef View Post
                              I will try to do a tutorial, its very simple
                              you mean this isn't the tutorial?
                              HAF932 Mods
                              C70 Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X