No announcement yet.

[Case Mod, Build Log] MODell XPS: Xperimental Propulsion System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the focus in the first shot, but you can see the drill bit shaft after grinding each end to fit the slot. I figured making them 90 degrees apart would reduce the wiggle/vibration. It actually worked out perfectly!

Last edited by Grinder; 07-29-2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Again, the issue with this piece is that the fan is too wide for the hole. Since the dremel wasn't up to the task, I clamped it to the miter saw and working slowly, a bit at a time, dropped a carbide high tooth count blade down into the edges of trim piece. There is actually a void back there, which helped once I got to a certain depth. To clean it up I sanded it (needed some spot putty where the slats were cut off as there was a tiny amount of material missing from the center). Finally I painted the piece and gave it a light clear coat. I also replaced the worn foam with new weatherstripping.

Here you can see the fan sitting down in the opening I created, flush with the flange. This will allow me to stagger the fans to match the rake angle of the front of the case.

Since there was so little clearance, I also sanded the sides of the fan.

Here are a few shots of the overall result. Bear in mind I will be cutting sheet metal mounts for the fans later on, to fill in the area around the fans.

Last edited by Grinder; 07-30-2018, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Wow, that's a load of work you've done so far.
        Keep on moddin!
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Beautiful case Grinder and great idea with the twin turbine look. Be interesting to see where you mount the rads. And nice fix on the dremel.
          The SLOB : A 3570K Build
          Down & Out : A 2600K Build
          V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

Indeed Hooded, and I've still got a ways to go. Good thing the case was cheap, as it certainly won't be labour wise. Fun though!

Thanks wattermain, I still have some tricks up my sleeve to help that turbine look. As for the rads, the case is actually tall enough to stand up the 480 near the front, and I think I'll have room for the thick 120 at the exhaust mount on the rear. If you like the case, check out this beautiful mod of an XPS 720 by Belgian modder Alain S. Just wow!
            https://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/...ll-xps-720-mod

Comment

I went ahead and used tin snips to cut my Kenmore sheet metal into a vertical reinforcement for the free end of the shelf. It certainly is flimsy compared to the rest of the case, but the piece I used already had a bend at the edge which adds rigidity. I'll likely mount the massive rad behind this. I had to do some bends at the top and bottom, I used pliers, hammer, and my old 5 inch vise to do them.

I also painted the mobo tray flat black. I decided to keep the strip on the left edge of it in order to help with cable management, and will probably mount a shroud of some kind in that area as well.

Here I have the two pieces just set in place to check out the look and fit.

Once I make the cuts to the front of the case, I'll clean up, mask, and paint the front and rear, then mount the tray and backplate. Here is the front of the case prior to cutting, you can really see how tight those fans are:

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                Indeed Hooded, and I've still got a ways to go. Good thing the case was cheap, as it certainly won't be labour wise. Fun though!

Thanks wattermain, I still have some tricks up my sleeve to help that turbine look. As for the rads, the case is actually tall enough to stand up the 480 near the front, and I think I'll have room for the thick 120 at the exhaust mount on the rear. If you like the case, check out this beautiful mod of an XPS 720 by Belgian modder Alain S. Just wow!
                https://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/...ll-xps-720-mod

Thanks for the link Grinder. That was good for a half hour's worth of ogling
                The SLOB : A 3570K Build
                Down & Out : A 2600K Build
                V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

You are welcome. Wish I had access to that kind of equipment! He did a fantastic job.

I made the cuts in the front of the case. The dremel was ok to do the grillwork on the bottom half, but I had to resort to an angle grinder with a cutoff disk to do the top. As Daz pointed out, that stuff is thick, and strong! Got some strange looks from my neighbour while I was going at a computer case with a grinder in my driveway lol.

I masked and painted the front and rear where all the cuts were made, and also painted the backplate. I was able to create a tab on the left top to backstop the fan, whereas on the right there is a lip on the side behind the cut that will serve the purpose. The bottom is more straightforward: I'll mount the fan to a plate and slide the whole assembly in from the front.

Next is to reinstall the left side of the case and mount the tray and backplate. I'll pre-drill and then use self tapping screws. Will post some pics when that is done.

Comment

Comment

Thanks EZ! Hopefully the performance will be cool as well.

I've adjusted the vertical support, and attached it to the bottom, top, and the free end of the shelf. I plan to reinforce it, as the thick 480 rad will be mounted to it. It's heavy, and some extra thickness will help to center the rad. I'll be using heavier material, so need to pick up some metal jigsaw blades.

Meanwhile I've used the remainder of my washer sheet metal for a shroud at the top. It rests on the power supply on the right, and is attached on the left with a couple of screws. Now I need to sand and paint both pieces, plus I will be fabbing another shroud for the edge of the mobo tray. These two shrouds will give me room for cable management, and hide the PSU.

Comment

LOL, lost your shoe... (on some older photo)

Things go on nicely.
                        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                        Venom Build: Build Log,
                        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                        Orange Build: Final Video
                        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Hmmm, maybe EZ has my shoe. You never know what he will use to build a case!

I used the jigsaw to cut reinforcement pieces for the vertical support (didn't have the length to do one piece). Haven't attached them yet or painted. The vertical piece and shroud will be a pain to get smooth :/

I also cut, bent, and test fitted a shroud for the edge of the mobo tray.

Comment

I used PL Premium to attach my reinforcement pieces to the vertical support, sandwiching it all between two pieces of hardwood flooring and setting my large socket set on it until it set up. Then I painted the PSU shroud, mobo shroud, and vertical support.

Last edited by Grinder; 08-16-2018, 10:46 PM.

Comment

I want to leave the front fan blades exposed for that twin turbine look. But I will need to fab some filters since I will be getting one of these on the long weekend

Comment

Working...
                              X