Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two builds at the same time, because Ryzen 9 is now mine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two builds at the same time, because Ryzen 9 is now mine.

Hey folks, it's been awhile! Canada Computers rudely decided to take advantage of my complete lack of impulse control, so I decided to buy stuff, and upgrade my main rig! Like several of you who have multiple machines, you know what this means. Multiple builds going on simultaneously! In my case, two. I have two rigs operating at any one time, just in case one dies. After all, a geek can't be PC-less. My current daily driver is the following:

AMD Ryzen 2700X (aka Big Rig)
    Asus Crosshair 7 Hero mobo (EK Monoblock)
    4 x 8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (3200 CL14)
    Zotac 1080TI x 2 (HeatKiller blocks)
    1TB ADATA SX9000 960GB SSD
    2 x 2TB SSD in RAID0, 2 x 3TB HDD in RAIDO

That all sits underwater inside a large box of radiators, also known as the Case Labs (RIP) Magnum M8. It is rather large, and only LAN-party-capable if you are The Hulk:

Still rocking the GPU back plates made by our own resident modding guru, EZs PCs:

Now the second rig sadly doesn't get used unless Big Rig is down for maintenance. I say sadly because it's the prettiest soft tube system I've ever built (see my "backup build" thread). It *used* to look like this:

That was a Ryzen 1700 on an Asus Crosshair 6 Hero, with 2x8Gb of FlareX 3200 CL14 RAM, on a ThermalTake Core P3 snow edition. I sold those guts to a buddy of mine with two babies who can't afford a decent rig, because apparently babies are expensive. I kept the Radeon VII GPU and the case though, since buddy already has a 1080 on air plus a case. So he got a great deal on some awesome guts, and I went bananas and bought this:

That would be a Gigabyte Aorus Master motherboard, a Ryzen 9 3900X, and a Corsair MP500 PCIE4 SSD. My credit card cried like a little girl, while I laughed at it.

So step #1 was to tear down the pretty purple pixel eater, put an air cooler on the 1700 (gave my buddy the Wraith Prism that came with my 2700X, it's beefier than the one that came with the 1700). Got that done yesterday, and buddy is over the moon and happily ignoring his family while testing his new toys.

Step #2 was to mount the new gear on the white TT Core P3 case for testing:

So it works, passes tests, PCIE riser seems to work fine, etc. New gear ain't broke, sweet. So now the real work begins, and that's starting this evening.

The New Grand Plan:

Step 1: drain Big Rig, the one I'm posting from.
    Step 2: get 2700X board mounted on pretty purple pixel eater 2.0 with the Radeon VII; all AMD 2.0 FTW!
    Step 3: once PPPE 2 is up and running, rebuild new Ryzen 9 into M8 with dual 1080TI's.
    Step 4: marvel at the length and girth of my new ePenis. Estimated length: 29 inches.

I'm not sure what the "end game" for tubing on either rig will be, but considering I bought Daz' last 16 EK 16mm hard tube fittings, PPPE 2.0 will definitely be getting acrylic hard tube, and the coolant needs to be WAY more purple. As for Big Rig, I'm undecided. That rig USED to be hard tube, with red coolant, and looked way more awesome than it does now. But then I broke my acrylic pass-through floor plate, and had to improv something (that ugly light panel you see in the pics above). Once that happened, I switched to soft black tube, just to be goth / emo. I may go back to hard tube for Biggy, and back to translucent red coolant. Plus that Barrow Boxfish reservoir needs to GTFO. The people who designed those things never considered dual pump rigs like Biggy. I had to unplug a D5, since two was just too much turbulence for that box res. That will be replaced with a Heatkiller 200mm res, already purchased, with red struts. It's gorgeous. More to come on that later!

Much more to come, stay tuned!

Awesome grab!

Got any plans to let go of that C7H?

Comment

No way man, I almost regret selling tghe C6H, LOL!

Last night was rough, made some progress, spilled fluids, and killed my lower back! Damn I hurt, aging sucks! So the evening began with an empty Core P3 shell (and loop):

The eagle eyes will notice the longer 250mm Singularity Computers tube. It fits the build much better size wise. That longer tube also made the top rad-to-res connection a lot shorter. Thankfully due to my 'nerd hoarder' status, I had an old set of TFC SLI fittings in a box:

The smallest tube in that SLI set just happened to be a perfect fit for this connection. Yeehaw:

This is what the basement of a scatter-brained nerd hoarder looks like when he's working on multiple PCs at once. Oh the mess I will have to clean up:

With the "donor" system for PPPE 2.0 ready, it was time to rip into Big Rig 1.0, for the last time. I started with this:

After popping off the external panels, very easily thanks to Case Labs genius (yet simple) mounting system, it was starting to get nekkid:

Here's what the PSU side looks like (aka rats nest):

My drain system sucks and needs reworking. I had to tilt this thing 8 ways from Sunday to get half the fluid out:

I disconnected everything from the motherboard and was ready for transplant:

Case Labs genius also extends to the removable motherboard tray. You notice in the picture below that there are 4 captive spring-loaded screws in the rear (hard to see):

Once you pop those, the entire mobo tray just slides right out. Genius I tells ya:

The mobo was mounted onto the P3, and I added some more dye to my fluid, and a 'refresher' shot of Daz Protect. Mixed it up and loaded the new tube:

Pretty Purple Pixel Eater 2.0 beta is online (since I'm posting from it):

More to come!

Comment

Awesomeness in basement!
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Fun stuff Bart
          removable mobo tray is killer feature all cases should have
          Ive been looking for a 3900x for a new build but none in BC yet
          eyeing the same mobo looking forward to hearing about your experience with it

Comment

I'll be sure to update the thread with some overclocking results, assuming the kinks get worked out of the new platform soon. Growing pains and all that.

My lower back was (and still is) ruined today. So I've been at this off an on. I started the day gazing at PPPE 2.0. I may hang this on the wall, it's so damn pretty. This should look amazing with hard tube:

Here's a rare glimpse into Biggie's basement, full of plasticizer coated tubes:

My high tech drain, just look at the crap on those tubes (which are CLEAR BTW):

This hasn't been changed in years. How utterly disgusting:

Dual D5s hiding, waiting for me to change these filthy tubes:

This baby will be replacing the Boxfish reservoir:

It has a slit for an LED strip, so I cut one of Daz Darkside strips down and fitted it (white light, no RGB on this):

Mulling over options for a hard tube layout:

Added a 240 rad to the loop just to mount the new reservoir, soft tube to start with. Planning the hard tube layout is going to take time:

I changed every tube in the pedestal, and re-did the drainage system, off center this time, much better:

Almost ready for filling, but not quite:

Big Rig 2.0 beta is almost ready for fill up! More to come!

Comment

Red posts - reallycool.
              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
              Venom Build: Build Log,
              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
              Orange Build: Final Video
              HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                Red posts - reallycool.
                They match nicely. What a nice piece of kit that reservoir is. And NO MORE FLOW ISSUES with dual D5's now, WOOHOO! Having to disable one of those D5's to prevent bubbling was bugging my OCD. Now if Gigabyte would only release a BIOS that doesn't push insane volts into my new CPU! I'm seeing spikes over 1.5V, but temps are decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
                  I'll be sure to update the thread with some overclocking results, assuming the kinks get worked out of the new platform soon. Growing pains and all that.

My lower back was (and still is) ruined today. So I've been at this off an on. I started the day gazing at PPPE 2.0. I may hang this on the wall, it's so damn pretty. This should look amazing with hard tube:

Here's a rare glimpse into Biggie's basement, full of plasticizer coated tubes:

My high tech drain, just look at the crap on those tubes (which are CLEAR BTW):

This hasn't been changed in years. How utterly disgusting:

Dual D5s hiding, waiting for me to change these filthy tubes:

This baby will be replacing the Boxfish reservoir:

It has a slit for an LED strip, so I cut one of Daz Darkside strips down and fitted it (white light, no RGB on this):

Mulling over options for a hard tube layout:

Added a 240 rad to the loop just to mount the new reservoir, soft tube to start with. Planning the hard tube layout is going to take time:

I changed every tube in the pedestal, and re-did the drainage system, off center this time, much better:

Almost ready for filling, but not quite:

Big Rig 2.0 beta is almost ready for fill up! More to come!
                  Which darkside LED strip did you use to cut down? looking at going the same route.

Comment

Originally posted by Overkill View Post

Which darkside LED strip did you use to cut down? looking at going the same route.
                    Just a 6" white strip with the G2 connector (a 3-pin fan connector will NOT fit through the strut opening, you'd need to rip the plug off and re-pin it). I had to cut 3 LEDs off it to fit. If you're going RGB, that might suck for you unless you're a electrical guy who can solder. I think Daz only sells biggers strips in RGB, so you'd have to buy a big strip and only use 1/4 of it. FYI.

Comment

PPPE 2.0 Update!!!

Hard tube going down tonight! I'm using 16mm Bitspower crystal link, with 16mm EK purple fittings. I bought a BAG of the things, ended up using only SIX. LOL!

Doing the first tube, from reservoir to GPU, was the most painful. Not much room to work!

If you look close at the above pic, you'll notice I ran the reservoir tube to the farther GPU fitting, ducking below the closer fitting. This was to facilitate a straighter tube run from the GPU to the CPU. I wanted a single 90 degree bend, keeping it simple. It isn't a perfectly aligned connection, but it's close.

Fixed the positioning of the flow meter too.

When I first filled it up, it looked nice, but still too damn pink!

It looked more purple than pink IRL, the camera exagerates the pinkness, but it still wasn't as purple as I wanted. So I dug out some Feser blue dye I never used.

MUCH better!!

I think it's done!! Finally getting the color where I wanted makes me feel a LOT better about this thing! There might still be a tweak or two, but for now I dub it DONE! Final parts list, for those interested in such things!

Pretty Purple Pixel Eater 2.0:

AMD Ryzen 2700x / Asus Crosshair VII motherboard
                      4 x 8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB RAM (3200CL14)
                      Gigabyte Radeon VII GPU (16GB HBM)
                      ADATA SX8200 960GB NVME SSE
                      Thermaltake Core P3 Case
                      Corsair AX850i 850W PSU

Water Cooling Stuff:

EK Monoblock on motherboard
                      EK Vector GPU block
                      Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm radiator - White Special Edition
                      3 x EK Vardar 140mm fans (white)
                      Singularity Computers 250mm reservoir with D5 pump (clear acrylic)
                      Barrow D5 dress cover (purple)
                      Barrow digital flow meter
                      Darkside G1/4" temp sensor
                      6 x 16MM EK hard tube fittings (purple)
                      8 x Darkside 90 degree fittings (white)
                      2 x Darkside 30mm extension fittings (white)
                      1 x Darkside 5mm extension fitting (because I'm too lazy to re-bend a tube)
                      1 x TFC SLI fitting
                      Last edited by Bartacus; 07-19-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Sweet build Bart

some great gear you have in this one

lookin forward to seeing more in the Caselabs

Comment

Thanks FF, but that might be a while. I'm struggling with temps (which is very odd), and I'm not sure if the temps I'm seeing are due to insane voltages or a bad mount. It sure as heck isn't rad space, considering the 5 rads in that thing, but I also ruined a little spring on one of the Barrow CPU block mounting screws, so I may not have the best mount. Might have to revert back to a HeatKiller IV CPU block, which would be unfortunate considering how nice the Barrow block is. Plus I need more fittings too. Got some thinking to do on that one.

Comment

PPPE 2.1 - FINAL! I hope! This time for sure! I think!

The EK Vardars were decent fans, but since the reservoir only had poor lighting options, I switched them out. After doing a fair bit of reading, I came across these babies, Fractal Design Prisma AL-14 PWM fans:

These were not cheap, coming in at $45CDN a piece. That sounds steep (and it is), but considering what you get, it's not as bad as it sounds:

First impression, very nice fans. They're light for 140s (not a negative, just an observation). Notice the RGB cable, therein lies the genius:

Most RGB fans require stand alone controllers and garbage software like Corsair Link (gag me). The genius of these puppies is that you can daisy chain them, with a STANDARD 5V RGB connector, straight to a 5v ARGB header on your motherboard:

!@#$# yeah! No additional software necessary, and it picked up my Aura RGB settings right away. Booya! Well, after the usual rainbow boot-up, LOL!

And the Bart said 'let there be light', and there was light:

I think it's done now! It has light everywhere it needs it, so I'm calling this one DONE!

Bonus pic of highly technical GPU support bracket:
                            Last edited by Bartacus; 07-28-2019, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Big Rig Update:

Any good luck I was having ran out tonight in the weirdest way possible. The evening started out well enough. Tearing down a Case Labs M8 is a pleasure. I drained the loop, and went to work. Started out by disconnecting the mobo / GPU connections and removing the guts.

This is made easy by the removable motherboard tray:

Also removed the 3 Gentle Typhoons from the roof, leaving an odd skeletal husk:

After thinking hard about it, a layout popped into my head. Not sure if it will work, but we'll see. Since I have a fetish for straight 90 degree angles, and the Heatkiller could be flipped upside down, I started with this:

Then this:

Thank god I have tons of extensions laying around, and thank the flying spaghetti monster for Daz making Darkside extensions so cheap:

After getting the motheboard back in, I tried a multiple-bend hard tube for the first time ever. This is how that ended (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU):

Fractal Design Prisma 120mm 3-pin RGB fans installed, with a TRUNK of cables coming off the back of them, LOL!

Welcome to the jungle:

I left it there for the evening:

And that's where I quit. Having that silicon insert snap has made me want to snap! If any water coolers have any tips on how I can rescue that tube, I'm all ears, LOL! More to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X